Greenhouse Opinions

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
looking for any guidance on greenhouses. I am looking to purchase a greenhouse to put on the property. I’ve seen a lot of hoop houses but I don’t think that’s what I want at this point. I’ve seen some that have polycarbonate panels I was thinking maybe that would be the way to go. This is all new to me so any advise, pros and cons that you’ve had to deal with would be appreciated.

Have you made your selection on a greenhouse yet? I've spent years inside of them all over the continental United States. I'm willing to help with designs if you're building yourself, or point out a few good manufactured ones if you want. Choosing or building a good greenhouse is almost like choosing your wardrobe. It depends on what you want to do with it, how much you want to spend, and what the climate is like in your area. There are literally thousands of different ways to build/buy a greenhouse but if you can fill me in on your climate factors I'd be glad to help in any way I can. Let me know.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Have you made your selection on a greenhouse yet? I've spent years inside of them all over the continental United States. I'm willing to help with designs if you're building yourself, or point out a few good manufactured ones if you want. Choosing or building a good greenhouse is almost like choosing your wardrobe. It depends on what you want to do with it, how much you want to spend, and what the climate is like in your area. There are literally thousands of different ways to build/buy a greenhouse but if you can fill me in on your climate factors I'd be glad to help in any way I can. Let me know.
Thanks, but I have since put my greenhouse ambitions on hold. When the time comes I definitely will be taking you up on the offer:)

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

looking for any guidance on greenhouses. I am looking to purchase a greenhouse to put on the property. I’ve seen a lot of hoop houses but I don’t think that’s what I want at this point. I’ve seen some that have polycarbonate panels I was thinking maybe that would be the way to go. This is all new to me so any advise, pros and cons that you’ve had to deal with would be appreciated.
Another jem thread and not that old. Okay, here's something that's been knocking round my brain for the past few months: growing in a greenhouse in winter, using artificial light for 3-6+ hrs a day, a 2 mo veg then wall off a section that only recives 12 hrs natural light, i.e. a flower room within the greenhouse.

I'm considering using solar spot lights, 400 lumens each, 4 per group of 8-12 plants (plant numbers will reduce with runts/males) to maybe 2-4 plants moved into flower room every month.

I don't really need to heat it, Southern California. I've always grown this plant sesonally, except for a few indoor grows 40 years ago.

My plan is to start this project Sept 1, starting seeds Aug 23.

I have water run, will install a sink and will run electricity for air/water pumps and light if needed.

Thoughts?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Another jem thread and not that old. Okay, here's something that's been knocking round my brain for the past few months: growing in a greenhouse in winter, using artificial light for 3-6+ hrs a day, a 2 mo veg then wall off a section that only recives 12 hrs natural light, i.e. a flower room within the greenhouse.

I'm considering using solar spot lights, 400 lumens each, 4 per group of 8-12 plants (plant numbers will reduce with runts/males) to maybe 2-4 plants moved into flower room every month.

I don't really need to heat it, Southern California. I've always grown this plant sesonally, except for a few indoor grows 40 years ago.

My plan is to start this project Sept 1, starting seeds Aug 23.

I have water run, will install a sink and will run electricity for air/water pumps and light if needed.

Thoughts?
Supplemental lights work in a greenhouse, we actually hang a 20w led daylight bulb over our mother’s year around 24/7, this acts as a prevention to flower and keeps it is perpetual veg. Found that creating a light dep in a section and cutting to 12/12, flowers fast but! Ensure that that spot is 100% leak/light proof! Man I’ve had a plant foxtail to a larf nugs, with just a pinhole leak! Solution? I just stuck a small 3x3x6 tent in there, now I have a full time light dep section while I have the veg section. Issues I ran into? Airflow in and out, took some creativity to bring in fresh air and maintain humidity at flower different from veg in a shared environment. But it’s doable the trouble I ran into and hassle was the daily moving of pots in and out of the light dep section, hence I’m using 2 different houses now, one for veg and one for flower with a auto curtain . Auto curtain is basically an awning that retracts over that dep house top and sides are permanently dark, supplemented with 300w led full spectrum light. Quality? Less then if this was say a stand-alone outdoor or standalone indoor type setup but if growing for personal use, the supply is adequate if not more then enough! I suppose if I wanted to and added more Lights, it can yield like a indoor with the same quality. One advice, never let ppl walk through your houses, I’ve gotten more bugs in there because of looky-loos, tracking shit in. Now it’s visitor free, no bugs no mold and epic buds. Anything you can do to contain an environment will reward and provide you the medication you need. Hit me for more info as we have tons going up at the grow as well. 68 new houses being built and I keep learning details that I’ve never contemplated before! Like hey how do I get water in and water out? Lol man that was a fail at my personal greenhouse, had everything setup and well zero drains, that was a pain to redo

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Supplemental lights work in a greenhouse, we actually hang a 20w led daylight bulb over our mother’s year around 24/7, this acts as a prevention to flower and keeps it is perpetual veg. Found that creating a light dep in a section and cutting to 12/12, flowers fast but! Ensure that that spot is 100% leak/light proof! Man I’ve had a plant foxtail to a larf nugs, with just a pinhole leak! Solution? I just stuck a small 3x3x6 tent in there, now I have a full time light dep section while I have the veg section. Issues I ran into? Airflow in and out, took some creativity to bring in fresh air and maintain humidity at flower different from veg in a shared environment. But it’s doable the trouble I ran into and hassle was the daily moving of pots in and out of the light dep section, hence I’m using 2 different houses now, one for veg and one for flower with a auto curtain . Auto curtain is basically an awning that retracts over that dep house top and sides are permanently dark, supplemented with 300w led full spectrum light. Quality? Less then if this was say a stand-alone outdoor or standalone indoor type setup but if growing for personal use, the supply is adequate if not more then enough! I suppose if I wanted to and added more Lights, it can yield like a indoor with the same quality. One advice, never let ppl walk through your houses, I’ve gotten more bugs in there because of looky-loos, tracking shit in. Now it’s visitor free, no bugs no mold and epic buds. Anything you can do to contain an environment will reward and provide you the medication you need. Hit me for more info as we have tons going up at the grow as well. 68 new houses being built and I keep learning details that I’ve never contemplated before! Like hey how do I get water in and water out? Lol man that was a fail at my personal greenhouse, had everything setup and well zero drains, that was a pain to redo
Thank You! This info is invaluable. I've got a small house, 6x9' that I could flower in as it would be a pain to section off and seal all light bleed as the big house is framed with pvc for shelving.

I doubt I'll need more than 400-500 lumes to extend the light cycle. There are areas in my yard that become shady at times during the day that are lower and plants grow just fine and don't flower early. If need be I'll set up LED's.

Yeah, I don't bring anyone through. My neighbor who gave me the house is welcome but my wife doesn't even go in so it will be just me. Those two are the only ones who know I'm growing who live in the area, except maybe a neighbor who hasn't said anything but he's cool.

It's just for me personally but I do give some away as well as caps and tinctures.

For outdoor drainage a French drain, a hole filled with gravel works well, depending on the amount of water but you can trench out as much area as needed. I've set up a couple for clients with bbq areas and I plan on doing the same. I'm on septic and could run a line to the main but I really don't need it.

The house has a window frame in the back section and I'll put a fan in and leave the door open when it's hot and a smaller exhaust fan for winter.

I have a 30 gal elect water heater with a heating element burnt out for holding treated/fertilized water and a battery timer for a drip system.

Now I can't wait for Sept. to get it started.

Top Bottom