Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Oh Happy Days
woohoo.gif

The remaining 5 seeds popped overnight. The first to pop is in the lower left corner. Note the plastic grate under the coco pellets, which allows for drainage if overwatered

The sat is 99% ready. Since last night was a full moon, I will wait 2 more days to harvest

IMG 4171
IMG 4172
IMG 4170
IMG 4173
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

This is my twist on lpa from things I learned from hpa.

4 of the seedlings already have the tap root exiting the bottom of thee coco pellets, so I made nutes and will be putting those 4, and maybe the other 2 as I last checked at 10am this morning, and their taps could be out now

Primarily instead of running nutes 24/7 and basically drowning the roots, I am opting to use a deep cycle timer with hpa misters. I'm going to start at ~ 1 minute on/3-5 minutes off, and adjust as needed

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Cut down the Sat this morning

Inserted all seedlings in my DIY lpa. I might need a bigger gph pump in an effort to push more nutes through the heads

The glass on my pH pen got wet and some water made it inside. Hoping drying it out will restore. I took it out after adding the humidifier

The humidity in the tent is extremely low, so I filled my Vicks humidifier. Need to monitor it until I get it dialed in

Got a real nice batch of seeds from my outdoor Indica

IMG 4175
IMG 4176
IMG 4177
IMG 4174
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Wow. Sat root ball is quite small (~ baseball size). That said the roots are loaded with nutrient loving root hairs

I attribute the small ball to:

1. winter temps and lack of RH
2. NPK Raw nutes not designed for hydro

Still, with these in mind I managed 104gm wet bud + 17gms larf
Assuming 60% dry weight = 2.2 oz

This would be unacceptable to any commercial grower, but, as a personal use grower that still saves me ~ $600 (minus electric and nute cost)

AND, I know that it has no pesticides/insecticides/herbicides or crap nutrients

It does smell lovely

This new grow is all Emerald Harvest 2 part + their critical amendments. I always had nice roots and bigger yields with them

IMG 4178
IMG 4179
IMG 4180
Last edited:
Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Wow. Sat root ball is quite small (~ baseball size). That said the roots are loaded with nutrient loving root hairs

I attribute the small ball to:

1. winter temps and lack of RH
2. NPK Raw nutes not designed for hydro

Still, with these in mind I managed 104gm wet bud + 17gms larf
Assuming 60% dry weight = 2.2 oz

This would be unacceptable to any commercial grower, but, as a personal use grower that still saves me ~ $600 (minus electric and nute cost)

AND, I know that it has no pesticides/insecticides/herbicides or crap nutrients

It does smell lovely

This new grow is all Emerald Harvest 2 part + their critical amendments. I always had nice roots and bigger yields with them
Your numbers are backwards. You lose 65%-75% or your wet weight after you dry it normally unless they are very dense flowers but yours are not. So if you lost %70 of your wet weight, you will end up with 1.11 oz.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Thought I would post a picture and an update

I am dialing in the o//o times. Currently 2 minutes on and 15 minutes off.

I added my Vicks Humidifier to gt RH up from 40%, now around 50%

Also with all lights on temps get above 85*s. I was turning the CoBs off, running the monos only, which does bring temps down

Now open the front flaps and am cycling my fan at the same o/o times as the spray. Still dialing that in

I should have taken a close up, but all 6 seedlings leafs are growing

All-in-all, so far so good.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I thought it a good idea to review EH HYDRO nutrient feed chart

Based on my negative experience with NPK micros and Humic, I was surprised to see EH recommending both Root Wizard and Emerald Goddess, both of which seem similar to NPK Microbes and Humic, which as they told me after the fact that microbes are intended for soii and can be problematic in hydro, and to replace them with aminos and enzymes

I wrote EH, but in the mean time, will use NPK Enzymes and Aminos

Good news:

already seeing roots coming out of the side/bottom of the net pots

Still dialing in pH, and adjusting between using CoBs + monos and just monos for temp and RH purposes

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Seedlings looking good

Having trouble keeping RH in the zone when the CoBs are on, but it is cold this morning, so the added heat helps

6 of one...

I neglected to take a pic of the roots

IMG 4184

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Forgot to update yesterday, I made up one gallon of EH 3 part nutes PLUS; yucca, aminos enzymes, and silica

Had a reason to use my camera so, here's a few of the roots already clearing the net pots.

Those in the back are harder to see

I put a sea shell over the humidifier outlet to better aim the fog at the seedlings

IMG 4186

Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

My humidity monitor took a dump. Good thing I have spares. Roots have grown considerably since Friday, getting ready for a growth spurt.

I was hoping that eliminating air stones would stablilize EH nutes pH, but no. I set it at ~ 6.1, 24 hours later it's ~ 6.5 :mad:

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

update on dry weight 26gms. I sure hope they rock my world
>
I heard back from EH regarding pH and mixing organics into hydro.

As to pH, he says (and I agree) that keeping a tight reign isn't that big a deal under 7.0

He also agrees enzymes make more sense in solution than organics, although the can be 'beneficial' sprayed on up to bloom

I think i's time to point out how a purchase mistake is a good thing. I meant to order 3" coco net pots, but got 4" instead.

You can readily see the difference in previous pictures. Now, the benefit of the larger is there is more space to infill small stones around the delicate main stalk

Also, underneath, there is more space between the net pot and the coco insert. This seems to help with over spraying.

Note how much bigger the 4 in the 4" net pots are compared to the 2 in the 3"

Interesting accident!

Pics later

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Im also jacked up about the root development coming out of the sides of the net pots. one pic is from 5 oclock, the other 7 oclock as we look at a clock, not as in the time they were taken

The replacement monitor seems to be more accurate than the, ahem, "Accurate" monitor

IMG 4188
IMG 4189
IMG 4190
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

EH tech suggested to spray the veg with Emerald Goddess 1.25ml/G

I started this morning

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Oops, he saw the pic and said no foliar until plants are ~ 6" tall

I have been aware that the leafs are on the light green side. I will add some N this morning

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Root pics

I do something some people think is crazy: I trim my roots. Why?

Couple reasons

* They tend to grow long in search of the solution

* Not cutting minimizes lateral root development near the main stalk

Sigh, I should have taken a pic of the plants. The 4 in the larger coco inserts are developing nicely, easily 3x+ bigger than the 2 in the 3"
coco insert

IMG 4191
IMG 4192

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I did something I should have done in the beginning- place a layer of HD foil over the top of the tote. This to deflect heat away from inside the tote

Adding to the insult, I neglected to turn the light off. I did not notice the problem not doing so caused until I diverted my eyes away after placing the plants back in: Freakin Blind! FYI sunglasses needed now

Roots are going gangbusters now. I trimmed them again, but only the longest skinny taps trimmed back to the overall root mass

I have been aware that the leafs were a bit droopy instead of reaching up to the light. I decided to increase the pause time from 20 minutes to 30 minutes. within a few hours the leafs started reaching up, at least to parallel. Im going to add one more minute of on time and monitor

IMG 4194
IMG 4195
IMG 4196
IMG 4197

Last edited:
DGP

DGP

PhatNuggz,

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. I noticed throughout your thread the plants from seedling to fully mature have some twisted and burnt looking leaves. Is this something about the strain you are using? Could be un-diagnosed root issues or too high a ppm as well.

2. Roots often look brown and you mentioned the color of the nutes but if the nutes dye the roots that dark how do you tell if your getting some amount of root rot? In earlier pictures I saw some roots that were very dark compared to adjacent roots and that looked suspicious to me. Also, the leaf twisting and drying out/dying thing looks like what I have seen in my hydro grow when the roots were just starting to rot or had a partial outbreak (not enough to kill em outright but surely stunts their performance). I struggled like hell to keep my water temps under 69F but finally succumbed to buying a chiller ($$ouch).

3. Generally speaking how does your water smell and what are the res temperatures (min and max)?

I stopped using general hydro cause of the freakin dyes and switched to clear nutes eventually will go to a commercial agricultural formula like Jack's. I am sick of the commercial cannabis nutes that are simply overpriced hyped up products.

Just curious not trying to criticize here......

Dee

Top Bottom