Has any one tried a partial harvest ?

• Thread starter Louie9663
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Louie9663

I'm thinking of partially harvesting some of my plants to leave small under developed and interior buds to grow and firm up for harvesting . I'm thinking with most of the ripened buds harvested more light will reach those under developed buds .
Or would doing this kill off the plant from the stress of losing all or most of the terminal buds on the plant ?
Any one have any interesting thoughts on this subject .
Thanks I'm looking forward to your replies .

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

Ive tried it a couple times. It didn't kill the plant but the stress seemed to slow the weaker growth down so they didn't come along as fast as I thought they would. The question becomes how much time/ space you use finishing the undergrowth. If you don't have anything trying to get the table space and you aren't worried about the power bill give it a go.

L

Louie9663

Ive tried it a couple times. It didn't kill the plant but the stress seemed to slow the weaker growth down so they didn't come along as fast as I thought they would. The question becomes how much time/ space you use finishing the undergrowth. If you don't have anything trying to get the table space and you aren't worried about the power bill give it a go.
Harvest is a week away today . I'll have plenty of room as I only want to try this on a couple of sativa dominated plants that have lots of small interior buds that look like they'd really firm up .

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

ive tried this as well. 60-75% harvest then let the rest finish. took about 4-5 weeks for the popcorn to fully mature. after it was said and done, i realized it was a waste of time and money. you dont get a big yield with the added 4 weeks, then u look at the big picture and realize you could be 1/2 way into flowering with a batch of nice fresh gals with a promising yield... outdoors it can be great, indoors it is just a waste of space and energy imo. :cigar:Z

Dynamite

Dynamite

ive tried this as well. 60-75% harvest then let the rest finish. took about 4-5 weeks for the popcorn to fully mature. after it was said and done, i realized it was a waste of time and money. you dont get a big yield with the added 4 weeks, then u look at the big picture and realize you could be 1/2 way into flowering with a batch of nice fresh gals with a promising yield... outdoors it can be great, indoors it is just a waste of space and energy imo. :cigar:Z

exactly , 4-5 weeks

outdoors works nice, indoors not so much

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Yes I have done this indoors, and if you have the space/time I say do it. I noticed tremendous differences in yields outside this year. I have done it a few times indoor, mainly when running a multi strain crop and the time is there. Good luck

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've done it outdoors many times
It works great
Not sure about indoors
IME works great outside (weather permitting of course), and kind of ok inside. I'm seriously cheap so I didn't like running full lights for baby buds. I feel it's a lot better to get canopy control under control and have NO larfy popcorn buds to leave to finish out. In other words it makes a lot more fiscal sense outside than in.

L

Louie9663

That certainly makes sense and it seems to be the general consensus so far . Still I think I'm going to try and put 2 or 3 that I have under some 250 watt florescent lamps for a week or so and see if they firm up . They aren't as expensive to run as the HID lamp.
My grows are small because I don't have the room or enough lights so I'm trying to make the most of what I've grown .
I really love watching these plants grow .. much more so than even my vegetable garden . If I wasn't so sick I'd still grow them even if I didn't make use of them .

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Right on man, if ur not on a perpetual system, might as well keep them going. You will be able to turn those lil buds into something a bit more filled in, it just takes a bit. I'm sure this is do to the major shock after main harvest.. much luck, hope ya score more meds:cigar:Z

dutch69lover

dutch69lover

I agree that outdoors this works but indoors you shoulda trimmed Lower growth that don't get light and produce. The only indoor partial harvests you could call it is when I pull one plant at the breeders suggested harvest time but I will also pull one later and a little early and then when cured I will judge each to determine where I would prefer yo harvest I'm the future.

fractal

fractal

if you prune the right way you won't have any larfy buds left over. I could see how this might work outdoors though when you just cannot get to everything deep inside the plant. DJ short used to hype the Flo as a strain that this technique was designed for back when high times was all we had for reading material. Nowadays I think growers' average knowledge is beyond that point, but it does work in some situations. Still it's best to just prune the right way so all your buds are large and ripe at the same time.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

EVERY time i do this, the smaller buds never grow any bigger, they just ripen up nicer...but sometimes i got no choice, due to trimming restrictions

ken dog

ken dog

the main problem is that you don't get to flush if you do it that way.

or, if you flush before you do your first harvest, the smaller buds will be finished up with little or no nutes.

not to mention, popcorn will stay popcorn.

B

BestAround

only worth it if u don't have shit ready to go directly into flower.. like ken said.. popcorn doesn't become colas after u harvest.. it just ripens.. meaning ur larf will be closer to a high that your colas are producing.. that's about it .. I only let them go if I want to use it for bho.,. and I don't have anything ready to fill the room . but I mean shit.. u could toss them in the corners of the room.. and run another batch. and have them ripen in the mean time.. they don't need a bunch of light to ripen up.

Top Bottom