Heat Hlg 600 Quantum Vs 1000w Hps

• Thread starter MeanGreen420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

No worries at all bud, I was just trying to get a deeper explanation for someone who doesnt know :)

QB is still Chip On Board technology just on a larger footprint. Samsung LM561C is a chip (in a package) and it's mounted on a board.

The only difference between COB and QB is that with QB every chip has its own package and with COB they all share one package. And the board of course.

Yeah and with COB all chips share the same phosphorus coating and with QB each chip has its own.

Yeah, I just said it wrong. The way I stated it, it sounded like I was describing something more like a Black Sun fixture with an array of independend clustered COBs than a Quantum's strip LEDs. A person new to this type of LED might buy a type of fixture they don't want based on my bad description. I knew they are all "chip on board, whether it's a cluster on a brittle silicon board or a series on a flexible strip, they are both still boards. I just felt that I wasn't certain enough in that knowledge to attempted a correction and it might come across as a passive aggressive one-up.

I appreciate YOU making the correction because anyone who's been on this forum any amount of time knows that this is one of your areas of expertise and won't question your motives.

I have a tech degree in telephony but COBs are after my time and I'm not fluent in the technology yet.

F

FutureGrower

Yeah, I just said it wrong. The way I stated it, it sounded like I was describing something more like a Black Sun fixture with an array of independend clustered COBs than a Quantum's strip LEDs. A person new to this type of LED might buy a type of fixture they don't want based on my bad description. I knew they are all "chip on board, whether it's a cluster on a brittle silicon board or a series on a flexible strip, they are both still boards. I just felt that I wasn't certain enough in that knowledge to attempted a correction and it might come across as a passive aggressive one-up.

I appreciate YOU making the correction because anyone who's been on this forum any amount of time knows that this is one of your areas of expertise and won't question your motives.

I have a tech degree in telephony but COBs are after my time and I'm not fluent in the technology yet.

Hey I apologize man. Idon't know why I said they aren't the same technology and I misread your original post I thought you were saying saying COBs are all the same in the direction of heat dissipation and what not... clearly I misread what you were saying I apologize buddy

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Hey I apologize man. Idon't know why I said they aren't the same technology and I misread your original post I thought you were saying saying COBs are all the same in the direction of heat dissipation and what not... clearly I misread what you were saying I apologize buddy

It's all good brother. It's part of the learning process. In all fairness I didn't convey my thought very well. I did not know they were a new type of Samsung diode that's 10-15% more efficient than COBs (I'm assuming those numbers are in regard to the most efficient Cobs like CXB3590 and Vero29 or the range should be much larger.) So you taught me something. I also thought Quantum lights were more of a style than a specific manufacturer. Like when people say Phillip's screw driver when it's actually a cross-point (or "tip", can't remember it's been so long since I learned it).

People who don't get offended when a knowledgable person corrects them on this forum learn a lot. I've been corrected by Toaster before. Probably a few times, hehe. Dude knows his sh*t and I defer to him on a regular basis.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

How much did you spend on the solar stuff? I was looking into solar roofing but yikes lol. I have a wall on the side of my house that gets at least 12 hours a day of light though. I got stoned enough to think about throwing some of those DIY panels on the side lol

I haven't forgotten your solar question. It's been a while since I purchased everything and I need to look up my Amazon orders for the prices before I can answer.

F

FutureGrower

It's all good brother. It's part of the learning process. In all fairness I didn't convey my thought very well. I did not know they were a new type of Samsung diode that's 10-15% more efficient than COBs (I'm assuming those numbers are in regard to the most efficient Cobs like CXB3590 and Vero29 or the range should be much larger.) So you taught me something. I also thought Quantum lights were more of a style than a specific manufacturer. Like when people say Phillip's screw driver when it's actually a cross-point (or "tip", can't remember it's been so long since I learned it).

People who don't get offended when a knowledgable person corrects them on this forum learn a lot. I've been corrected by Toaster before. Probably a few times, hehe. Dude knows his sh*t and I defer to him on a regular basis.

I see things the same way. If I'm wrong I want to learn the correct way glad theres no hard feelings :)

I believe the newest samsung diode is 5% more efficient then their own last generation but it's been a little while since I looked into them, technology moves too damn fast lol

F

FutureGrower

I haven't forgotten your solar question. It's been a while since I purchased everything and I need to look up my Amazon orders for the prices before I can answer.

Oh don't do all that I was just wondering more than anything. I think it's a great idea though!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Oh don't do all that I was just wondering more than anything. I think it's a great idea though!

In that case, a decent 200w-300w off-grid solar system good enough for power outages (to run a small laptop, lights, and charge some phones) starts around $700-$1k. An off-grid 400w-800w system big enough to power a 200w-400w COB grow is somewhere around $2k-$3k (more if building it to run an automated hydro grow).

A power grid tied system is considerably more expensive and generally requires an electrician to do.

If you ever want specifics and the "do's & don'ts" of building an off-grid system, let me know. Unfortunately, I can't help you with a grid-tied system. That's beyond my expertise.

Last edited:
F

FutureGrower

In that case, a decent 200w-300w off-grid solar system good enough for power outages (to run a small laptop, lights, and charge some phones) starts around $700-$1k. An off-grid 400w-800w system big enough to power a 200w-400w COB grow is somewhere around $2k-$3k (more if building it to run an automated hydro grow).

A power grid tied system is considerably more expensive and generally requires an electrician to do.

If you ever want specifics and the "do's & don'ts" of building an off-grid system, let me know. Unfortunately, I can't help you with a grid-tied system. That's beyond my expertise.

I would probably be doing an off grid just to offset some of my electrical bills... I do have a battery backup that will run a computer for up to 24 hours but that's just because we get lots of power outages in winter... I think I may just invest in a quiet generator for now and see how that works out for me. The solar stuff honestly is the way to go though so maybe down the line I'll drop you a message!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I would probably be doing an off grid just to offset some of my electrical bills... I do have a battery backup that will run a computer for up to 24 hours but that's just because we get lots of power outages in winter... I think I may just invest in a quiet generator for now and see how that works out for me. The solar stuff honestly is the way to go though so maybe down the line I'll drop you a message!

We have a lot of winter outages too. Mostly from rain storms but when we get a foot or two of snow, outages are almost a guarantee. I wanted to grow indoor during the winter and I didn't want to deal with the noise of a genetator during outages. Not to mention having to keep enough gas on hand to keep from going out in snow to the gas station.

So I researched and bought efficient lighting and solar. That's what got me into COBs. I eventually want all my 5th wheel's electrical to run on solar.

F

FutureGrower

We have a lot of winter outages too. Mostly from rain storms but when we get a foot or two of snow, outages are almost a guarantee. I wanted to grow indoor during the winter and I didn't want to deal with the noise of a genetator during outages. Not to mention having to keep enough gas on hand to keep from going out in snow to the gas station.

So I researched and bought efficient lighting and solar. That's what got me into COBs. I eventually want all my 5th wheel's electrical to run on solar.

That's awesome man! Over here we have several small outages I could probably get by with the flash light technique but that seems kinda iffy to me lol

I think that's badass you have your whole setup on solar man... honestly I bet it was a fun project when said and done too

P

Pass2TheLeft

If your having heat issues then cobbs are the answer bro and ive found running them close to plants bleachs the flowers led light is very powerful. 2 to 3 feet away if you run veros or cree 3590s or you bleach the buds from to much light lol you may find you need to add heat to get room to temp aswell

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

If your having heat issues then cobbs are the answer bro and ive found running them close to plants bleachs the flowers led light is very powerful. 2 to 3 feet away if you run veros or cree 3590s or you bleach the buds from to much light lol you may find you need to add heat to get room to temp aswell
Couldn't I go off the vpd charts and set my humidity to whatever my temp is with led them be able still run co2

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

That's awesome man! Over here we have several small outages I could probably get by with the flash light technique but that seems kinda iffy to me lol

I think that's badass you have your whole setup on solar man... honestly I bet it was a fun project when said and done too

Still not there yet, hahaha. Money got tight and I still need a couple more panels and a battery.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I have a dimmer on my 3590s. Can I just turn them down?

Haven't gone all the way through flower with them yet.

And won't a Quantum board be fine for running in a tight space? Since that's what he was asking about.

P

Pass2TheLeft

I have a dimmer on my 3590s. Can I just turn them down?

Haven't gone all the way through flower with them yet.

And won't a Quantum board be fine for running in a tight space? Since that's what he was asking about.
Yes to both bro

P

Pass2TheLeft

Couldn't I go off the vpd charts and set my humidity to whatever my temp is with led them be able still run co2
Vpd charts confuse me bro lol i always keep my rh at 55% the plants seem happy and theres no smell from the carbon filter i find if you go off vpd charts you can smell your grow if you run warm temps that being said in a sealed room with co2 that would negate that issue so would work great theres less need for venting with cobbs so its a win win if running co2

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

Vpd charts confuse me bro lol i always keep my rh at 55% the plants seem happy and theres no smell from the carbon filter i find if you go off vpd charts you can smell your grow if you run warm temps that being said in a sealed room with co2 that would negate that issue so would work great theres less need for venting with cobbs so its a win win if running co2
Ordered hlg 600 quantum from growers light. I'll report difference when received and installed.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Yes to both bro

Maybe I'll pick up a couple Quantum 304 2700k for the next tent grow (or a Black Sun but it would need to be 360w). Then I can put the 200w CXB3590 in a new 4x2 tent for veg and move the 100w (67w) CXB3590 to a 2x2 for beanlings/clones. I'll make up for the loss of the 100w by lifting the 200w and turning the power from <70% up to 100% on the dimmer. Someone in the know told me that my 200w CXB3590 can veg up to 8 plants with enough headroom, reflective Mylar walls, and the 90 deg focus lenses removed. I should be able to pull off a 3 tent perpetual grow with a total wall draw under 500w. Ain't that some sh*t!?! My plan is the lights in each tent will never change. The bean tent set at 14-16hrs to increase fem %ages, the veg set to 18hrs, and the flower at a constant 12/12 when in use.

I think I got this. Just need to hustle up the chedda. Can still easily fit within my solar plans at 450-500w. Wouldn't even need to upgrade the 40-60a MPPT charge controller I'm buying to do it. Only a couple more 100w panels than I'd planned and a third 100ahr Mighty Max battery. So an extra half $k. Not bad.

Top Bottom