Hempy Bucket Yields

• Thread starter batmankdf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DismalDude

DismalDude

Just getting ready to try hempy's myself so no idea.You have come to the right place though.A wealth of information here and a great community.Welcome!

Tnelz

Tnelz

Hey bro. Ur doing the right thing with hempys they absolutely rock. U can yield a little or a lot it so totally depends on so many things. Genetics, environment. R ur two most important things. Good genetics and good environment with tons of light and u can yield great with hempys. No real way to answer ur question definitively though. But welcome and good luck!

Lowman

Lowman

I would set it up in a vertical...put 6 or 7 plants around the light. If everything is in check....3-5 zips per plant. Do a scog and pull even more.

batmankdf

batmankdf

Can anyone advise me on how many 10ltr buckets would be best for 5x5x6ft

Power OG

Power OG

Can anyone advise me on how many 10ltr buckets would be best for 5x5x6ft
How many gallons are your hempys? I'm running 3 3gal hempys and 2 1gal hempys in a 3.5'w x 2.5'd x 8'h
Respect & Positive Vibes

batmankdf

batmankdf

I'm looking UOTE="Lowman, post: 1369962, member: 11326"]I would set it up in a vertical...put 6 or 7 plants around the light. If everything is in check....3-5 zips per plant. Do a scog and pull even more.[/QUOTE]
Im looking to do 4 to 6 buckets
How many gallons are your hempys? I'm running 3 3gal hempys and 2 1gal hempys in a 3.5'w x 2.5'd x 8'h
Respect & Positive Vibes
They are 10 ltr works out at just over 17 1/2 ft height is possibly 5ft 8" to light

Power OG

Power OG

I'm looking UOTE="Lowman, post: 1369962, member: 11326"]I would set it up in a vertical...put 6 or 7 plants around the light. If everything is in check....3-5 zips per plant. Do a scog and pull even more.
Im looking to do 4 to 6 buckets

They are 10 ltr works out at just over 17 1/2 ft height is possibly 5ft 8" to light[/QUOTE]
I scrog, so I can control my height. Also you should be able to run 8-12 hempys in that space. I think your running a lil over 2.5gallon hempys.

Last edited:
F

Flexy123

I just started some Hempies/Hydro so obviously I cannot say anything about yields. But folks say plants in Hempies GROW HUGE. We had several soil grows done last summer in severely undersized 4.5L (1.18gal) pots and plants got about 1m or so tall (outside), so I can assume that the 7L pots I got for the Hempies should be MORE than sufficient. It is my understanding that 15-20L, let alone gallon pots for Hempies are really if you want to grow TREES, Hempies do not require bigass pots.

Ytransplant

Ytransplant

I would love to see more of these hempy threads get active...I recently went back to hempy after using a variety of other ways...still been about 30 yrs since I ran a hempy...Yeah, it wasnt called hempy then, but BELIEVE it was commonly used...it was the 1st viable hydroponic method before, drips, ebb and flow, rockwools, dwc, etc, etc....I WAS doing water culture and went back to hempy with some modern twists to make it equal ANY OTHER METHOD KNOWN....Hempy, by design, offers MOST needs for your plants. I simply added an air stone to each, AND, a vertical pc of 2 inch pvc tube attached to the inside....I use 5 gal buckets but with only 4 gal of medium...hempy is a top water method, but to do that properly, you need to use a LOT OF WATER to keep them self flushing..
Otherwise, you WILL have medium buildup and have to flush, which ALSO requires a lot of water...My set up has (6) 5gal buckets..a proper flush would have me using a kiddie pools worth of water....INSANE!!!!....Thats where that vertical pvc tube comes in.
Once my roots bottom out (week), I water straight down the pvc tube...it delivers my mix directly to the hydroton I keep in the 2in deep bucket rez..I then keep the medium damp by using a pH'ed water with about 100ppm of nutes...I use beneficials, and they would go dormant if I allowed the medium to dry out....when roots hit that rez with an air stone, its nothing short of explosive growth....by watering JUST the rez, the #'s stay stable and are super easy to adjust by just shooting your adjusting mix down the tube...the bubbles from the airstone creates voids in the water around it, so water will naturally move toward it...your adjusting mix will blend nicely in an hour tops...constant top watering with anything less than double the volumn will create buildup...and regular flusing will need to be done (get out the kiddie pool)....WHY DO THAT, when u can just water the rez???..
I also have a small hole at 1/2 inch up on the bucket side with a rubber stopper...I can easily collect a few tbsp of mix for a #'s check and make adjustments if needed...NEVER HAVE TO FLUSH!!!.....NOW, you have a hempy bucket, with STABLE numbers all the time and the roots LOVE THE ADDED AIR FROM THE STONES....This will grow as well ( and even better) than ANY OTHER hydro system....few pics..bucket design, current crop takes 36 days into flower...2 white widow plants, 2 cheese candy's and 2 incredible bulks....Happy Hempy..YT
20170708 032951
Screenshot 2017 07 09 21 26 24 1
Screenshot 2016 06 24 22 46 46 1 1 1 1 11
20170125 035431 1 1 11 1

Last edited:
B

Bassman_sound

I would love to see more of these hempy threads get active...I recently went back to hempy after using a variety of other ways...still been about 30 yrs since I ran a hempy...Yeah, it wasnt called hempy then, but BELIEVE it was commonly used...it was the 1st viable hydroponic method before, drips, ebb and flow, rockwools, dwc, etc, etc....I WAS doing water culture and went back to hempy with some modern twists to make it equal ANY OTHER METHOD KNOWN....Hempy, by design, offers MOST needs for your plants. I simply added an air stone to each, AND, a vertical pc of 2 inch pvc tube attached to the inside....I use 5 gal buckets but with only 4 gal of medium...hempy is a top water method, but to do that properly, you need to use a LOT OF WATER to keep them self flushing..
Otherwise, you WILL have medium buildup and have to flush, which ALSO requires a lot of water...My set up has (6) 5gal buckets..a proper flush would have me using a kiddie pools worth of water....INSANE!!!!....Thats where that vertical pvc tube comes in.
Once my roots bottom out (week), I water straight down the pvc tube...it delivers my mix directly to the hydroton I keep in the 2in deep bucket rez..I then keep the medium damp by using a pH'ed water with about 100ppm of nutes...I use beneficials, and they would go dormant if I allowed the medium to dry out....when roots hit that rez with an air stone, its nothing short of explosive growth....by watering JUST the rez, the #'s stay stable and are super easy to adjust by just shooting your adjusting mix down the tube...the bubbles from the airstone creates voids in the water around it, so water will naturally move toward it...your adjusting mix will blend nicely in an hour tops...constant top watering with anything less than double the volumn will create buildup...and regular flusing will need to be done (get out the kiddie pool)....WHY DO THAT, when u can just water the rez???..
I also have a small hole at 1/2 inch up on the bucket side with a rubber stopper...I can easily collect a few tbsp of mix for a #'s check and make adjustments if needed...NEVER HAVE TO FLUSH!!!.....NOW, you have a hempy bucket, with STABLE numbers all the time and the roots LOVE THE ADDED AIR FROM THE STONES....This will grow as well ( and even better) than ANY OTHER hydro system....few pics..bucket design, current crop takes 36 days into flower...2 white widow plants, 2 cheese candy's and 2 incredible bulks....Happy Hempy..YTView attachment 718706 View attachment 718707 View attachment 718708 View attachment 718709
I decided to try your system.
I have some questions.

What nutrients do you use, and at what pH and ppm? I bought GH Flora and micro. I hope that works??
Where did you get those cages that fit onto your buckets?
What beneficial do you use?
I didn't buy vermeculite... Is that necessary?

Ytransplant

Ytransplant

I use Dyna products....best single use nute available (IMO)..you can run all perlite, but you water a lot more...vermiculite or Coco coir at 20-25% to Hold moisture....higher amts tend to get too wet....beneficials do much better with some of the absorbant mix like vermiculite...I use Hydroguard as bennies....with hempy buckets, its best to feed every watering, but in lower amts....some ppl overfeed, overfeed, flush...works, but is MUCH BETTER to keep it moderate and stable.....ph is best 5.7-6.0....if that drifts, DONT chase it..start on one side of the drift and let it go through ideal and reset when going too far off...drift is actually good for them as long as its not extreme and out of range....if you watered at 5.5 and it drifts up to 6.5 in a cpl days..no problem, as long as you understand what it's doing....best to start plants (seedlings/cuttings), in your nursery....stick them when well established...ppms of course depend on plant size and growth rate...I start on about 400ppm and increase as they need it...mature veg is ABOUT 700ppms.....full flower only gets up to 800, but is governed by how they are looking.....I have NEVER had to run mine over 800ppms at max consumption....keep the pH reasonable and make sure you water till 15-20 runoff for best results...that runoff is a constant Flush/resetting of what was in it...as they feed, your nutes are used and pH drift is normal with fast growing healthy plants..
Each watering (with nutes) resets everything....really is one of the cheapest, easiest, foolproof, hydro setups you can do....cpl pic of current hempy buds....green crack and peyote critical...YT
Screenshot 2018 06 11 16 03 52 1
Screenshot 2018 06 11 16 04 00 1
Screenshot 2018 06 11 16 04 08 1
Screenshot 2018 06 11 16 04 17 1

B

Bassman_sound

I use Dyna products....best single use nute available (IMO)..you can run all perlite, but you water a lot more...vermiculite or Coco coir at 20-25% to Hold moisture....higher amts tend to get too wet....beneficials do much better with some of the absorbant mix like vermiculite...I use Hydroguard as bennies....with hempy buckets, its best to feed every watering, but in lower amts....some ppl overfeed, overfeed, flush...works, but is MUCH BETTER to keep it moderate and stable.....ph is best 5.7-6.0....if that drifts, DONT chase it..start on one side of the drift and let it go through ideal and reset when going too far off...drift is actually good for them as long as its not extreme and out of range....if you watered at 5.5 and it drifts up to 6.5 in a cpl days..no problem, as long as you understand what it's doing....best to start plants (seedlings/cuttings), in your nursery....stick them when well established...ppms of course depend on plant size and growth rate...I start on about 400ppm and increase as they need it...mature veg is ABOUT 700ppms.....full flower only gets up to 800, but is governed by how they are looking.....I have NEVER had to run mine over 800ppms at max consumption....keep the pH reasonable and make sure you water till 15-20 runoff for best results...that runoff is a constant Flush/resetting of what was in it...as they feed, your nutes are used and pH drift is normal with fast growing healthy plants..
Each watering (with nutes) resets everything....really is one of the cheapest, easiest, foolproof, hydro setups you can do....cpl pic of current hempy buds....green crack and peyote critical...YTView attachment 807332 View attachment 807333 View attachment 807334 View attachment 807335
So checking the runoff ppm to dictate if you need to feed lighter it heavier to keep 800 then.
Sounds like drift should usually raise not decrease?
You also water the perlite with 100ppm just enough to keep it moist?
Thanks for the reply

Oh the tomato cages... Did you custom make those ones?

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Hempy's w/stra8 pearlite is the easiest imo best way to grow. Using Lucas formula *some strains may need 1 ml cal mag, especially if you're going with 1 light SOG. With top genetics, yields are unreal.
My avitar were grown in Hempy styraphome cups vs coco. The pearlite/Lucas was superior in every way.
See my avitar...if doing a SOG, train for single colas
If you open the avitar, you can see the cups thoes colas were grown in

RollOne

RollOne

Each watering (with nutes) resets everything....really is one of the cheapest, easiest, foolproof, hydro setups you can do....cpl pic of current hempy buds....green crack and peyote critical...YTView attachment 807332 View attachment 807333 View attachment 807334 View attachment 807335
Dear Ytransplant,
First, thank you for sharing your Hempy bucket design. I am on my second grow using it. I am using Dyna-Gro, as you, only difference is Orca and Cannazym for bennys. On the first grow (4 buckets), I scroged Strawbery Cough but had PH flucuation issues towards the end of the grow. the end product quality and quantity were excellent, so I wasn't to concerned . What had me scratching my head, however, was my runoff was always within 0.2-3 of what I was putting in (I tested the runoff, not the reservoir and always after the buckets stopped dripping). Nute solution PH range was 5.6-6.0 (mostly 5.7-5.8) Now I am at the end of the a 5 bucket Blue Kush grow, day 43 flower was when I began to notice stress on a few of the older fan leaves, the girls are day 48 today (these are Dinafim seeds and their recommendation is 60 days), I tested runoff after nutes on day 45 and 47 (watering every other day) and it was 5.0 day 45, 4.9 day 47. Nutes going in have been 5.6-6.0...Again only on certain mains (5 plants done in 8 main manifolds). I made, what I imagined as a plus, an adjustment to your design by using a 3" reservoir. You think that might be causing the issue? Tonight I noticed 2 colas showing early foxtails, so there is definitely stress. My PH and TDS testing equipment has been checked and double checked and all is good. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Cannabis bk 12 19 day 43
F

Flexy123

My $0.02, I too spent LOTS of time thinking of how to make some "advanced" hempy bucket system, with pumps, air stone etc..

BUT: This really isn't "hempy buckets" anymore, it's very much a fully-fledged hydroponic system. (Which is of course awesome, but it's simply not Hempy buckets as I understand it).

Hempy buckets are a manual "quasi-hydro" system. Simple.as.can.be. Pots with perlite or perlite/vermi, hole in the side so that a small reservoir keeps at the bottom of the pot.
I think the beauty of Hempy is because it's so dead simple and as easy like growing in soil, IMO.

That being said, I might switch to hempies again since the last some grows I did ordinary soil grows and results have been "meh" for me with soil recently.

RollOne

RollOne

Dear Ytransplant,
First, thank you for sharing your Hempy bucket design. I am on my second grow using it. I am using Dyna-Gro, as you, only difference is Orca and Cannazym for bennys. On the first grow (4 buckets), I scroged Strawbery Cough but had PH flucuation issues towards the end of the grow. the end product quality and quantity were excellent, so I wasn't to concerned . What had me scratching my head, however, was my runoff was always within 0.2-3 of what I was putting in (I tested the runoff, not the reservoir and always after the buckets stopped dripping). Nute solution PH range was 5.6-6.0 (mostly 5.7-5.8) Now I am at the end of the a 5 bucket Blue Kush grow, day 43 flower was when I began to notice stress on a few of the older fan leaves, the girls are day 48 today (these are Dinafim seeds and their recommendation is 60 days), I tested runoff after nutes on day 45 and 47 (watering every other day) and it was 5.0 day 45, 4.9 day 47. Nutes going in have been 5.6-6.0...Again only on certain mains (5 plants done in 8 main manifolds). I made, what I imagined as a plus, an adjustment to your design by using a 3" reservoir. You think that might be causing the issue? Tonight I noticed 2 colas showing early foxtails, so there is definitely stress. My PH and TDS testing equipment has been checked and double checked and all is good. I would appreciate your thoughts.
I now believe I have misdiagnosed the problem. My first grow was in a tent with and Optic 8+ dimmable. I kept it at 30" (the recommended flower height) and all my symptoms were occurring in a 2' diameter circle from the scrog center point, so I never even considered that could be an issue. Same with this grow, except this tent uses a 315w 3100k CMh and the symptoms are on the colas directly under the light at 13-17" from fixture. Grow, live and learn.

Top Bottom