How I defeated pythium

• Thread starter Innov8tr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Innov8tr

I'm new here but have been growing for almost a decade now. I have used dirt for most of the these years because I hadn't had much luck with hydro. I tried it in the very beginning but didn't know what I was doing I wasn't very successful. I switched to dirt and never looked back. I partnered wit a friend on a grow about 5 years ago in the building that I'm now. He was all hydro and encouraged me to try it...grodan flood and drain. I had about 3 harvest of really shitty plants due to pythium and we gave up and went to dirt. We were using well water with a massive filtration system on it and it had a chlorinator, water was awesome. I really didn't think it was the water that was giving us problems, we thought that maybe there was lots of pythium spores in the area we were growing in...no problems at all in dirt. So years later (Oct last year) I was convinced by a friend to try hydro one last time. I got a 6 site XL UC, put (2) 1000 lights over it and (4) 250 watts around it. My first harvest I lost to pythium but I didn't realize what had happened until later. I was using H&G at the time and blamed the nutrients because the plants looked deficient. I cleaned the system with a little bleach and fired it up for another round. Two weeks in to flower these plants took a shit too. Finally I realized that pythium was the problem but these plants were too far gone to save. I added a badass UV light to the system but since the roots were already colonized it did nothing. I talked with Dan at CC and he thought that maybe it was colonizing inside the clone machine and I was transferring the infection to my disinfected UC system. I read that the CDC recommends 10% bleach to 90% water for total disinfection. I put 7 gallons in my UC and a gallon in my clone machine before restarting to make sure that any pythium would be killed. Through veg they seem fine but right before flowering....again pythium. So I really started doing my homework and I wanted to share with others what I found. I saved these plants and they turned out to be beasts.

After reading about pythium I came to the conclusion it was from the well water that I'm using. I read that levels were usually high in well water and that sometimes the levels were extremely high. My city water is also well water but its taken from 750' where my well is only at half that, not sure if that matters. Also I knew of another gardener not far from here using shallow well water with the same problem...he started having city water delivered and the problem went away. I do have a chlorinator on the well but if the levels aren't high enough the pythium can and will still live in the water. Pythium does exist in city water too but usually at low levels and used with healthy plants can never colonize and usually isn't a problem until the plant is stressed (heat, low water levels, etc), then it rears its ugly head. That can happen to anyone! If you get pytium all is not lost, you can win the war! Ok here is what I tried...

Large UV on my UC. I bought a sterilght 6 GPM commercial grade UV and put in my return line. I wanted to use this as a preventative but this didn't do any good because the pythium has already colonized the roots...and I wasn't sure if the UV could break down my nutes making my problem worse.

I tried frequent water changes until it dawned on me it was in the water....didn't do any good because I just reintriduced the pythium.

At this time I discovered there was (2) products that I could add to sterilize the system...pythoff and zone. I read about pythoff and its basically chloramine, I read up on zone and its active ingredients were copper and sulfur (I read that someone said it has chloramine but I'm not so sure of that, I could be wrong though). I know that chloramine at the right levels can kill anything so I went and purchased some at my grow shop. I followed the instructions and dosed the highest amount everyday like it suggested for a "stressed system". My plants contiunued to decline. I found out that there was a test kit for pythoff to make sure the levels were high enough to make it work, I ordered it. Once I was able to test it I realized that even at the highest dosage the levels weren't high enough. I ended up using 1.5x's the recommended dosage to get the levels up high enough. My UC would have a strong bleach smell and within 12 hrs it was almost all dissapated. I would have to dose it 2x's a day to keep the levels up high enough. Plants immediately turned around but adding pythoff twice a day was a PITA and expensive. I went and got some zone on recommendation from CC, I took out my plants and washed the roots with high pressure water and mud came off of them, really nasty shit (see pic below). I added pythoff and zone to fresh nutrient water and within 2 weeks the plants are almost 4' tall and you can even tell anything was wrong with them. New white roots shot out of everywhere and are filling the buckets. I was about to throw in the towel and forever walk away from hydro but now I'm really glad I didn't. The plants are growing so fast now and are so healthy...I love it!

If pythium is a problem for you, here are my suggestions. These may seem extreme but I can't take any chances.

1) Bought a hydrologic inline UV light for my RO machine, its on the fill line for my reservoir. This should kill all pythium in the incoming water which alone is probably enough.
2) Just in case I dose my water change res a couple of days before I change it, I use it 1.5x strength of pythoff. I give it a couple of days to disapate out of the water before I put it in the system. This way I can briefly add bacteria in the water without killing them.
3) I mix my nutes in the res and then fill my UC system. I add any beneficals that I want (roots excel right now) and wait a 2 days for it to works its magic...then drop the pythoff bomb to wipe out everything alive and then I add zone once until the next water change. I change the water once every 10 days and I usually add another pythoff bomb after about 4 days.

I believe that the UV on the incoming water line is the most important piece to the puzzle. Problem is that if pythium makes it past the UV then you need products like zone and pythoff to combat that. After I get a couple of successful harvests under my belt I will try to use just the sterilized water and beneficials instead of a sterile system. If it works and my yields are the same it is much easier I think to just run a sterile system...less worrying. I'm just not sure if a sterile system will produce as much or not (assuming that neither system had pythium)

If anyone has any suggestions or anything to add please do. This is simply how I defeated pythium. I brought my plants back from the dead, even Dan at CC thought they should be thrashed and I'm glad I didn't. The recovery was quicker than I imagined.

Pic of my infected roots, will post pics of the plants and new roots later today...want to get some current shots.

How i defeated pythium
deacon1503

deacon1503

Im glad u found a system that works for u. I think sterilizing the fresh ro and maintaining a sterile ro holding tank/top off is wise and mostly overlooked by some gardeners, including this one.

I run aquashield at 10ml/g and great white during the week. On my feed day ill drain, fill and flush for 12 hours each week with hydrofungicide at 2ml/g then drain, fill and refeed for the week.

I

Innov8tr

Im glad u found a system that works for u. I think sterilizing the fresh ro and maintaining a sterile ro holding tank/top off is wise and mostly overlooked by some gardeners, including this one.

I run aquashield at 10ml/g and great white during the week. On my feed day ill drain, fill and flush for 12 hours each week with hydrofungicide at 2ml/g then drain, fill and refeed for the week.

I'm assuming the fungicide is just as a preventative, have you had a problem with pythium before? I wonder how many people have had to deal with pythium when there was no stress on the plants.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
I had a terrible pythium problem that I am currently clearing up.
I started with some plants that had damaged roots from a previous root aphid problem that was cleared up. The pythium spread to the remaining unaffected plants in my system and I eventually pulled the damaged cuts and replaced them. All the sites in my system continued to go downhill. I was feeding dm gold base aquashield and roots excel. I dropped the bennies and swithched to zone, but it wasnt enough. In a last ditch effort,and upon some sage advice(thanks rcmg, Chronic monster) I decided to use down under HF. I started with 4ml/gal/day and slowly reduced to maintenance dose over two weeks. My root zone has almost completely recovered, but will definitely be adding a uv sterilizer to my RO res.

deacon1503

deacon1503

I'm assuming the fungicide is just as a preventative, have you had a problem with pythium before? I wonder how many people have had to deal with pythium when there was no stress on the plants.

Yes the HF was strictly as a preventive. I started that regime after making the mistake of adding hygrozyme at the flip and by about day 18 roots looked like shit; never again. So at the time it was more of a remedy than a prevention but I think the weekly "cleansing" if u will can't hurt.

I

Innov8tr

I think that I will purchase HF and alternate between my methods, sounds like you guys have had pretty good luck with it. The UV is so simple to install and was less than $100 with shipping. I thought I should mention that pythium could be living in the filters of the RO machine unless it was new of course or you could figure out how to sterilize the membrane...that is why I placed mine to the outgoing water line going to my res just to be sure. Plus this water of course moves slower through this line giving the UV more oppritunity to kill. Here is a link to the one that I bought...

http://www.horticulturesource.com/product_info.php?products_id=8764

The one thing that I really do like about pythoff is that is dissapates quickly from the UC system...I'm sure becuase of the aireation going on. So you could dose this right after a water change to sterilize and 24 hrs later you could add in any beenies that you want and they shouldn't be effected. I will probably try this method on my next round of plants. I'm not willing to try this on my current crop because I know that pythium is probably still living in there somewhere.

I should mention that I use pythoff in my clone machine once when I put them in there and 24 hrs before moving them in to the UC system. If anyone is thinking of using pythoff I have some advice....BUY THE TEST KIT FOR IT TO GET THE DOSE RIGHT!

I'm really curious about some posts I read where people were saying that zone's active ingredient is chloramine. I've never read that and it didn't show up on my pythoff test kit when I dosed it. If zone were chloramine based you would need to add it every few days but from what I have read you just dose it once until the next water change. I read that the active ingredients were sulfur and copper which makes sense to me, I'm pretty sure it has some soap in it too judging from the foam it creates when I put it in the system.

Has anyone ran a sterilized harvest and an "alive" harvest to see what the difference in yeilds might be? Seems like almost all of the bloom additives that are offered are "alive" and shouldn't be used in a sterilized system...except pk 13/14. So it seems that running a sterilized system would cost you some buds by the end of the harvest. Anyone got an opinion on this?

Also you mentioned problems with using hydgrozyme in a UC...noted, thanks.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

Id say that defeated is a strong word. but good thread..

Btw here is a living (pbp, cal-mag RE, aquashield, plantacillian) and sterile (H&G, cal-mag, uv sterilizer, zone, add .27, RE) side by side.

I

Innov8tr

Id say that defeated is a strong word. but good thread..

Btw here is a living (pbp, cal-mag RE, aquashield, plantacillian) and sterile (H&G, cal-mag, uv sterilizer, zone, add .27, RE) side by side.

Thanks for the link, exactly what I was looking for. I agree defeated is a strong word but if UV, chloramine, sulphur and copper (zone) don't defeat pythium I don't know what will!

I have a large reef tank and in the reef community there is also a great debate about sterile aquariums versus "live" aquariums. I run mine sterile because I have some rare fish that could get parasites, it's a good insurance policy. I run a large UV on it which kills everything in the water passing through it but does not kill the good bacteria that lives on the surfaces of the tank...same thing would happen running a UV in the UC. That's why it didn't help my pythium problems, it was living on the roots of course and not in the water column.

I wanted to mention too if this helps anyone. I never noticed any pythium problems while the plants were in veg, it was right at flipping them that I saw problems all 3 times. I'm sure that they had pythium while in veg but since the plants weren't being stressed at all so it was never able to take hold. As soon as they got under the big lights they did great for a few days, maybe a week. Then they started to yellow and slightly wilt, more of a curl actually. The leaves seemed to be draw together tight and it looked like cal/mag deficiency and lack of water. Well since the plant couldn't uptake as much water and nutes as it was supposed to looking back this makes sense. I just kept adding cal/mag thinking it was a problem with my niutes until I discovered the real problem. The next round I'll run sterile from clone till the end just to be safe.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

you wanted to know if the side by side existed so i gave you a link..

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

what are you having better luck with DS living or sterile so far?

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

what is your opinion of the UnderCurrent system so far?

pinaqle

pinaqle

Have never had any problems with UC using Watermax Bob's Brew. Non toxic to plants, also works to prevent lockout. May be able to use at higher concentration to stop infection once it has got out of control. Use 2ml/gal initial fill, then add 5ml/gal to top off res, should work as a preventative. Hope this helps.

I

Innov8tr

both have signs of rot.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that! I'm was really surprised to read that after looking at your pics earlier, your plants look so healthy. Of course since its in both systems there must be a common denominator, if its not a problem with the environment then it must be in the water? I wonder why its such a late onset of it.

I was curious, are you using a UV on your RO? Is your top off water getting warm? I could be wrong but it seems like a top off res that was room temp would be a breeding ground for bacteria that you are slowly introducing in the system. I mentioned it before but I'm now dosing my top off res with pythoff to sterilize it. Since there isn't any areation going on the pythoff doesn't dissapate quickly like in the UC so a dose will last until my next refill. I would do this even running a live system, the concentration would be so diluted mixing in with the UC that the pythoff wouldn't kill bacteria in there.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

what is your opinion of the UnderCurrent system so far?

I love the UC.

You need to remember that every system for growing has pros and cons. The pros of the UC are that its easy maintenance, explosive growth, and relatively problem free from a hardware perspective.

It however is a DWC unit and like all DWC's is incredibly prone to root rot. Which is why we are on this thread in the first place.

There is no perfect system, but there are more and less perfect ways to achieve the goal you have in mind when you begin a grow.

In many situations the UC is my choice without question. I do however run all media, and have no plans to choose only 1 of them any time soon.

I

Innov8tr

I thought I should update my pythium thread since I just harvested the plants that originally had the problem. The plants recovered nicely and ended up having lots of fruit, not sure how much yet but it took a me and a friend 18 hrs to harvest 6 plants. INSANE

I'm still using the UV and dosing my top off res and water change water with pythoff at 1ml per gallon. I've added a coolcoil to my top off/water change res so that all of the water that I use for my UC is chilled and sterilized. Seemed like to me that having my top off water at 80 degrees is asking for trouble, seems like bacteria would be more likely to grow and then I was slowly dosing that water in to the system. I've also been adding zone at medium strength with ever water change but I slacked off using the pythoff as often as I should.

Well when I inspected the roots of the harvested plants I noticed pythium in the bottom of the net pot inside and out. Black, goey, nasty shit. Plants really showed no signs of problems and in fact they are the stickiest buds I've ever grown and there were lots of them. One thing that was interesting is that the pythium only existed above the water level. I assume that since none of my sterilizers (pythoff and zone) were not reaching this area that this was part of the problem. In the future I will not be lowering my water levels below the net pot, I'm going to try running it about an 1.5" up from the bottom. There are a couple of things that could have also contributed to the pythium. Apparently my air pumps have been overheating and I didn't realize it until recently. I'm not sure how many times they were starved for oxygen. Also my temps were running about 70-72 degrees which I will fix on the next run. I bought some new coolcoils that are now 30% larger, I added them and it brought the temps down to a solid 68 using 60 degree water through the coil.

I decided I should check my veg plants which are now 2-3' tall and growing insanely fast. They also have some pythium on the roots but it exists below the water level. Ive realized that plants can thrive with pythium as long as it held in check. I'm going to start dosing the pythoff again, like I should have been, and see if I can get rid of it completely. They also had the problem with the air pump overheating and were also hovering around 70-72 on the water temp until I changed out the coil. I'm sure these plants will be fine, especially with a little more attention. I got a little lazy and got attacked again, luckily they are battling with some healthy plants.

13Dawgz

I got Pythium it had a lot to do with the water being over 70 degrees even 80 chiller was too small.

Hermitian

Hermitian

I had a terrible pythium problem that I am currently clearing up. ...

Pythium often occurs in growing situations where micro-nutrients are deficient, particularly copper and zinc. If you are using a complete fertilizer, then it should contain 0.02% to 0.05% copper and zinc each. If you are using a mix, for example equal parts of formulas A, B, and C -- then each of them should contain those percentages, or one of them should have triple of those percentages.

Ok, so if you weren't being proactive in helping the plant protect itself and now are trying to eradicate pythium, the approaches mentioned by other people so far will work. However, in agriculture we will take a simpler approach. Go get yourself a copper fungicide that is suitable for edible plants. Now there aren't many on the market for consumers so I'll point you at Monterey Liqui-Cop. The sub-title says "garden spray" but in the extensive directions attached to the bottle there are instructions for soil drench. In hydroponics, a one-time application of 1 teaspoon per 7 gallons of water should take of most problems.

Organic gardeners should have nothing to fear of this product: a "certified organic" grower can get an add-on permit to use it provided they agree to follow the product directions. Their usage is then monitored through leaf samples and the fine is quite large for over-application. If you buy "certified organic" vegetables from the store or a farmers market, chances are good that they use this product from time to time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom