Humidity Issue(flowering)

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
justiceman

justiceman

Hey everyone I am experiencing high humidity during the night cycle. When the light is on my humidity ranges from 50-60% but when it's lights out the humidity goes up to 70-80%.

The tent is in a room that is 10 x 12 x 8 so that's 120sqft or 960 cubic ft. The room at this time of year has a relative humidity of 60%

My grow tent is rather small(4 x 4 x 7). It is about 112 cubic ft, or 16 sqft.

Should I buy a small dehumidifier? I have found a few small ones under $100
Eva Dry 2200
Sunpentown SD 350
Or should I just spend an extra few bucks and get
Frigidaire 25 pint

4u2sm0ke

4u2sm0ke

yes dehumidifier will work..yes we dont want mold...whats the temps of the room the tents are in? Ive used those drys air things they have at home depot..they pull the moister outta the air..was useing for my motor home but works great for the room as well..Good luck my friend..

take care and be safe

R

Rolln J

i think you want minimal the 25 pint model - a 40 would be better...

however you may be able to combat the humidity spike by putting a space heater in the room - if your temp drops a lot after the lights go off that causes your humidity to spike...

I was having the same kind of issue until I got my day/night temps within 6-10 degrees of each other by putting a space heater on a timer that comes on as the lights go off.

justiceman

justiceman

Thanks for the quick reply's 4u2smoke and rollin j. I have heard of those types 4u2smoke. The desiccant dehumidifier or something. They are pretty cheap like this?
Damp Check
I beleive it contains silicon or something of that nature witch absorbs moisture from the air. I wonder if it contains anything else? possibly things harmful to plants?

Interesting Rollin j. My temp does drop fairly decent when the light goes off, and it's what causes my humidity spike. I may look into a space heater as you have suggested. Not a bad idea at all. I just want to try and get something that doesn't suck up a ton of electricity, but I gotta do what i gotta do in order to ensure the safety of the harvest.

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

was wondering if you were running exuast when your lights are out. I had the same problem untill i started running exaust even when the lights are out. I bought a dehumidifer but I haven't yet had to put it in play. Good luck to you

lars

lars

Don't skimp on the dehumidifier either. After you choose the one you need, get the next size bigger.

convex

convex

was wondering if you were running exuast when your lights are out. I had the same problem untill i started running exaust even when the lights are out. I bought a dehumidifer but I haven't yet had to put it in play. Good luck to you

Had this experience in my dialing in days too.
Exhaust 24/7 and never a spike again.

Cheers

justiceman

justiceman

I do in fact run my exhaust 24/7. I also forgot to add I have two 6 inch clip on fans on the inside of the tent on 24/7 as well to move air around in the room. I was under the impression that a grow room should be ventilated regardless of the light being on or off 3-5 times a minute if temps are hot, but as low as once every 3-5 minutes if temps are quite cool and manageable or you run co2. I don't want to even imagine what my humidity would be if I didn't vent at night:sweating

Now that I think about it the problem probably has more to do with the relative humidity of my whole room not just the tent. If my whole room is 60% then even with the best ventilation the humidity would only still be 60% with lights off no matter what. I am thinking I definitely need a dehumidifier, and a fairly decent one that can do 120sqft.

Lars I am thinking the same thing. I don't want to buy a cheap $50 dollar one and be disappointed while having to shell out another $150 for a decent one.

R

Rolln J

I agree - if de-humidifier is your best bet overkill rules = get at least a 40 pt and get one that you can run a drain hose from as an option so you dont have to dump the cup everyday...

B

BUDOGHI

J Man check out the New Air AD400 Dehumidifier. Have had great luck with my first one and I bought a second one. Under $200. www.airnwater.com Then seal up your tent and dehumidify just the air in the tent not the whole room.

justiceman

justiceman

Ah yes the drain hose option I will definitely be looking out for that indeed. Thanks Rolln

Hey budoghi If I put a dehumidifier in the tent wouldn't it not work as well because the humidity of the whole room is around 60% anyway? Actually wouldn't it work exactly the same whether it is int he tent or not since it's in the same room? Not to mention with my plants I don't think I can fit one in the tent unless it's maybe one of those slim cheap ones, but I don't want to get one of those.

M

Mikado1

I read all of the post on thos thread, but my problem deals with no or low humidity. I need to know how I get it up to 45 or 50 percent at all time and I have a humidifier in my room. Is there any that you can hook up to the heater so it can rise the humidity in the whole house.

Giddeon

Giddeon

I also am running into a bit of a high humidity problem. I recently installed a Santa Fe compact Dehumidifier in my sealed room but it just seems to maintain the humidity around 65% and it doesn't drop it more than say 2-3% when it is running 24/7, but it does keep it below 70% usually. I have the unit hanging in one end of the room draining into a 32gal garbage can which i empty at half full. what can i do to better this set up???

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Hey Giddeon, just a thought but I'd drain that dehum with a hose or some line to keep that moisture out of the room.
Check it- your sucking moisture out of the room with the dehum then your letting that water sit in the same room....waiting til you have 16gal of water in a garbage can is way too much ambient water sitting around in my opinion. If your air flow is charging it and you have no bad spores or whatnot, the humidity being above 60 or below 70 is actually a really good thing and keeps your buds of a higher quality. In flower I'd always try to keep humidity at 50-60%, your not too far off. Do you have an air conditioner too in your room Giddeon, that would help fight the moisture...
Anyways, take care

J

Janus

I agree that standing water is always a no no. Is the Santa Fe mounted up high? I've got mine mounted on shelf brackets high up on the wall. It's warmer and more humid up there. IMO, the Santa Fe's are the best and most efficient out there. You guys can also try running the rooms a little cooler at night as the cooler air will hold less moisture and the rh will come down. It's a double edged sword as the dehueys will pull more h2o at the higher rh and the lower temp will simply hold less h2o. You gotta just keep messing with it. 70% during flower and lights on is not a prob. It's the 80% to 90% spikes you get right at lights out that will cause probs. Good luck

Giddeon

Giddeon

baba G & Janus thanks for your input!

i figured that the standing water was a problem so i fixed it while waiting for a response to my question.

Yes i have the dehumidifier hanging from the ceiling with tie down straps and proper hardware secured in the floor joists to hang the straps from.

I also have a 24,000 btu ramsond split unit A/C now running on Dehumidify mode, it isn't near as efficient as the Dehumidifier but I guess every little but helps, and there is only cold air that comes from using this unit while the dehumidifier gets real hot.

If any one has some info on the transpiration rate of mature plants that a would help me as well to figure if I just need another Dehumidifier at the other end of the room

zombiewoof

zombiewoof

I read all of the post on thos thread, but my problem deals with no or low humidity. I need to know how I get it up to 45 or 50 percent at all time and I have a humidifier in my room. Is there any that you can hook up to the heater so it can rise the humidity in the whole house.
yea get an oil filled radiator and drop a wet towel over it watch it rise

Top Bottom