IMPORTANT for NM -- dispensary email - IS THIS GUY FOR REAL? WTF. Must read...

• Thread starter sky_blue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sky_blue

sky_blue

Hello NM !!

This is from one of our popular local S.Fe dispensaries. Pls. read.
The writer/owner seems to think it's unsafe for people to consume outside grown flowers.
He says 2/3 of all outside grow buds have bacteria, mold, or fungus, and could hurt you without you ever realizing it.
I'm not trying to start a "fight" w/the local powers that be, but seriously, this isn't right...

WTF ??? !!! Why the intentional fear-spreading?
Someone pls chime in here. I just can't believe this -- below... ( I mean, as long as you're spreading fear, why not suggest Paraquat is back, and the National Guard is spraying it from above...:confused:)

((What ever happened to the simple idea of growing ultra-premium flowers as a pro - plain & simple?
Am I the only person who misses SFINM every day? ))
***************************************************************************************
The Northern New Mexico Crop is In & Cured:

For hundreds of years, this is harvest time for the Medicinal Herb that was traditionally grown in most home gardens. Today is no different and there is abundant Bud amongst friends and family. For the past three years, we have noticed how LNP Cannabis sales drop by almost half in October & November. Proud backyard farmers gift Medicine to friends and family in generous amounts - an old NM tradition. But take care. According to the labs in California who spoke at the Denver Conference last week, almost 2/3s of the Sun Grown Outdoor Bud they test fails for bacteria, mold or fungus. That is the nature of outdoor grows. Much more care and time is required to dry and cure the larger & thicker outdoor buds. Nothing beats the Sun for providing the abundance of energy for fruit production but you also get more biological problems. I always get my own PPL summer grow lab tested. Both last year and this year, I had some failures. Fortunately the failures were for micro, not mold, and I was able to remediate the problems with additional drying to bring the moisture content down even lower and then exposing the buds to UV light to "nuke" the rest of the little bacterial buggers.

If I had not lab tested the harvest, I would never have known. The buds all looked perfect with no signs at all of problems. If I had not tested, the bacterial dangers would still be there and folks with compromised immune systems frequently cannot handle that. Be careful. Even if you know the farmers and trust them, they do not know what they have without microbiological lab testing. If you are perfectly healthy, it will usually not cause any problems. But if your system is compromised from Cancer treatments, HIV/Aids medications, Organ Transplants or recent surgery, please be very very cautious. Personal growers do not test and do not know. And unfortunately, even most State Licensed Producers do not test for Health & Safety. The smoke might test great, smell great, work great - and still be dangerous to your health. If you are buying Legally, ask for test results for that particular strain and harvest. Do not accept quantification of THC & CBD levels alone. Insist on microbiological testing reports. There is a lab in Abuquerque that tests for us and some other LNPs and should be testing for all. You as Patients can help make that happen and get Safer Medicine for all Patients.

Be Well, Be Blessed
L
New MexiCann

sky high

sky high

It's the same line of SHIT the dispensary sleezeballs use up here....

When they got ALL their meds from personal/closet/basement growers...all was well and there was NO mention of tainted flowers. After 1284 mandated they grow all their own...THEN EVERYONE ELSE'S FLOWERS WERE CONTAMINATED!

Amazing!

And CO/NM aren't CALI when it comes to climate that promotes all those molds and bacterias and shit. Some douche "expert" from Cali talking about PM should do it >>>IN<<< Cali where it is relevant across the board and not limited to the guy FROM CALI who moves here and tries to run 85% humidity in his room. Um...fuckin DUH. You don't need mold inducing humidity levels to grow weed....and you WON'T find levels here in CO outdoors that promote the growth of mold outdoors..... WTF?

Besides, we already have enough "MMJ experts" here. (no name need be mentioned)

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

^ ditto what sky high just said...you work against the LACK of humidity here. A big problem with mountain bud is how dry is can get. I've heard of maybe one or two mold problems out here, but most stress comes from the environment -low humidity droughts, excessive heat waves, late season/early season snowfall, wind, the list goes on.

and the funny part of that is that new mexico is a fucking desert...if it wasn't for people with hoses those plants wouldn't even survive.

plus, i've seen baby plants come from an indoor environment, completely infested with mites and PM, that were "thrown out" by commercial guys do a complete turnaround in the colorado summer, within three days the PM was dead and the mites had abandoned ship.

I'd pick quality Colorado outdoor organic over indoor anything almost any day - you think nature puts nasty shit on the plants, you obviously haven't had blisters in your throat after taking a hit of some "medicine"

dirk d

dirk d

doesn't hurt to have your crop tested and know instead of just guessing. my $4.20 lol Honestly I don't see how the best outdoor could compete with the best Indoor.

sky high

sky high

I've never felt the need to test my own crop.

I like indoor weed...'cus I grow indoor weed...and indoor weed is primarily what i have smoked over the last 20+ years since I fired up a light.

would love to try some heady Colorado OD weed though. Just seems to me that the OD is a bit harsher and has a bite to it....but hey...I'd love to be persuaded to think otherwise.... :D

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would love to share some samples to compare to, my weed to yours. I've had harsh OD and harsh ID. I've had smooth as silk OD stuff, and just as good ID stuff. I personally think it's the growing methods as much as anything else, and I'll take this opportunity to toot the organic horn. Toot toot!

When they got ALL their meds from personal/closet/basement growers...all was well and there was NO mention of tainted flowers. After 1284 mandated they grow all their own...THEN EVERYONE ELSE'S FLOWERS WERE CONTAMINATED!

Amazing!

And CO/NM aren't CALI when it comes to climate that promotes all those molds and bacterias and shit. Some douche "expert" from Cali talking about PM should do it >>>IN<<< Cali where it is relevant across the board and not limited to the guy FROM CALI who moves here and tries to run 85% humidity in his room. Um...fuckin DUH. You don't need mold inducing humidity levels to grow weed....and you WON'T find levels here in CO outdoors that promote the growth of mold outdoors..... WTF?

Uh, I'm in Cali and I've run 85% RH in my rooms with no PM. It was the fucking root aphids (brought in from a perlite hempy tub grow done outside on a balcony about 30' off the ground) that brought the PM from hell. However, I've also received cuts from friends that had PM growing well in 30% RH. Putting them outside and using a physical barrier got them cleaned up in a couple of weeks, never to see the PM return.

I *do* tend to see late summer PM on my cucurbits, the summer squashes in particular. Hottest, driest time of the year, I don't understand why that is, but there it is.

Also, IME, people who are growing indoors seem to have far more problems consistently with pathogens and pests.

But, more on topic: Who are the labs? What are their protocols? Are they standardized and how good is their QC (quality control)? What are they testing for exactly, and what were the failures, specifically? Also, are those bacteria, molds & fungi (that's a little redundant, to say the least) any of the sort that cause infection or disease in humans? Because that's what we're really interested in, right? Whether or not it causes disease, not whether or not it's there. I mean, if my body is comprised almost 80% of bacteria, viruses, mold & fungi, I will probably fail those tests.

sky_blue

sky_blue

^ ditto what sky high just said...you work against the LACK of humidity here. A big problem with mountain bud is how dry is can get. I've heard of maybe one or two mold problems out here, but most stress comes from the environment -low humidity droughts, excessive heat waves, late season/early season snowfall, wind, the list goes on.

and the funny part of that is that new mexico is a fucking desert...if it wasn't for people with hoses those plants wouldn't even survive.

plus, i've seen baby plants come from an indoor environment, completely infested with mites and PM, that were "thrown out" by commercial guys do a complete turnaround in the colorado summer, within three days the PM was dead and the mites had abandoned ship.

I'd pick quality Colorado outdoor organic over indoor anything almost any day - you think nature puts nasty shit on the plants, you obviously haven't had blisters in your throat after taking a hit of some "medicine"
I think of the old Mexican red-hair sinse (that had seeds(?)) brick that was everywhere in the NE 20 years ago. I've seen what bacteria/mold grew in some of those big bales on the truck-ride from Texas or Mexico. There weren't many options... NORML and whoever didn't really say much.

But, you're 100% right. I had 2 med. size hueys running in a small/medium insulated trailer (out here in the desert) and I struggled to get to 40% humidity. Every time my intake/exhaust came on, the humidity would drop like a brick. I understand how to compensate now though. Learning curve....
The desert requires a careful watch when you start.
---------------
Ouch !! The truth hurts. I was hoping some intelligent people would post here.
The Fear Email from L is ridiculous from beginning to end. I would only expect this level of stupidity and deception from Fox News (or the fed govt. - sorry).:)

sky_blue

sky_blue

doesn't hurt to have your crop tested and know instead of just guessing. my $4.20 lol Honestly I don't see how the best outdoor could compete with the best Indoor.
Where do you get a crop tested? If you're state legal, do you have to use a co. inside the state? Any idea what co. would do that in ABQ - that's not a complete rip-off/scam?

sky_blue

sky_blue

Amazing!

___
I'm sure I misunderstand, but I hope you're not saying I'm claiming to be an expert.
That is definitely not the case. I'm just an enthusiastic legal amateur.
That said, I agree 100% with what you wrote. It's all about the $, but when the dispens. started, it was all about helping M.S. and cancer patients,etc. - a real medical agenda.
What a bunch of crap.

BTW - it's legal here, but a dispens. sells BHO for $75/g. and calls it "Red Caviar." Come on, really? Why not charge a $100 and throw in a 20 of blow while you're at it.

Takes a lot of nerve to charge that much for something that had a medical origin.
Any thoughts...similar experiences?
Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion. I don't think so, though...:)

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I've never felt the need to test my own crop.

I like indoor weed...'cus I grow indoor weed...and indoor weed is primarily what i have smoked over the last 20+ years since I fired up a light.

would love to try some heady Colorado OD weed though. Just seems to me that the OD is a bit harsher and has a bite to it....but hey...I'd love to be persuaded to think otherwise.... :D

yaaa buddy! I'm in the same boat I grow indoors so that's primarily what I smoke...but I have so many friends who do a beautiful outdoor organic, some in the sun some in greenhouses, and when it comes out right it is absolutely superb, always has a fullness that indoor is lacking.

and as far as getting crops tested- i'll bet many of our plants would be tested positive for MANY things, even PM! the truth is that spores are everywhere - and unless you see evidence of active colonies, you most likely have nothing to worry about. Now if you have a mold outbreak while harvesting, before you're even in the dry room...go ahead and test that crop. or just run it for oil...but yeah. the mold growing inbetween your wall and your attic is probably more dangerous than the trace amounts in your outdoor medical marijuana from a desert that cooks reptiles on the regular...

coloradochem

coloradochem

I got colorado outdoor that would make this guy forget his name for a week. fear mongering by a uniformed idiot. would like to have a smoke with this guy, he can test my herbs first if he wants.

This says it all- For the past three years, we have noticed how LNP Cannabis sales drop by almost half in October & November.- Step up your game, trying to make others look bad, dsnt make your shit any better.

sky_blue

sky_blue

I got colorado outdoor that would make this guy forget his name for a week. fear mongering by a uniformed idiot. would like to have a smoke with this guy, he can test my herbs first if he wants.

This says it all- For the past three years, we have noticed how LNP Cannabis sales drop by almost half in October & November.- Step up your game, trying to make others look bad, dsnt make your shit any better.
___
Great response, CC, right on the money. Thanks for putting in your 2 cents.
It's just so ridiculous. If you knew the dispensary I mention, they had the worst problems w/every single disease and bug known to man in their grow rooms. Seriously.
I had the misfortune of trying one of their original products, Trainwreck. This idiot was warning patients online to be careful of the potency - it was so strong.
The reality - It was so bad I returned it (1st and last time I ever did it).
The hydroshop guys told me (they were asked to look at his garden to see if they could fix it) that he bought Dr. Doom foggers, and many other pesticides, etc. to save his 50-60 plants that were in initial flowering. So, the guy is a complete hypocrite. Should be run out of town...

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I have to throw my two cents in here.

I don't care where you live, desert, tundra, moderate climate, there are bacteria and fungi outdoors. This bacteria and fungi will get onto your plants, whether you fight it or not. One fly can carry thousands of bacteria and fungal spores on them, and if they land on your plant your plant now has some bacteria or fungus spores on it. This is impossible to avoid.

However, this does not mean that there are detrimental amounts of bacteria or fungus on your plant. It also does not mean that your herb will damage your health because of fungus or bacteria. There are so many factors involved in what bacteria or fungus will harm human health. There is also the fact that we almost never consume our Cannabis raw, it is smoked, baked, vaped, extracted, all of which will likely remove or kill any pathogens that may end up on our buds.

So, this guy is partially correct in stating that most of the outdoor crops will test for some kind of fungus or bacteria. But he is totally off base by making people fear outdoor crops. Someone (sorry I forgot who) already stated that plenty of indoor cops get contaminated with fungus and bacteria as well, and often that contamination comes in the form of infestation; yet those meds often still hit the shelves. Even indoor grows are far from immune to bacteria and fungus. So we should not fear outdoor crops over indoor crops, that is just ridiculous.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
But, more on topic:
Who are the labs?
What are their protocols?
Are they standardized and how good is their QC (quality control)?
What are they testing for exactly, and what were the failures, specifically?
Also, are those bacteria, molds & fungi (that's a little redundant, to say the least) any of the sort that cause infection or disease in humans?

Because that's what we're really interested in, right? Whether or not it causes disease, not whether or not it's there. I mean, if my body is comprised almost 80% of bacteria, viruses, mold & fungi, I will probably fail those tests.
I would really like to know, for sure, about such laboratories, answers to my questions. It's an issue everywhere, not just particular to each state, agreed?
I have to throw my two cents in here.

I don't care where you live, desert, tundra, moderate climate, there are bacteria and fungi outdoors. This bacteria and fungi will get onto your plants, whether you fight it or not. One fly can carry thousands of bacteria and fungal spores on them, and if they land on your plant your plant now has some bacteria or fungus spores on it. This is impossible to avoid.

However, this does not mean that there are detrimental amounts of bacteria or fungus on your plant. It also does not mean that your herb will damage your health because of fungus or bacteria. There are so many factors involved in what bacteria or fungus will harm human health. There is also the fact that we almost never consume our Cannabis raw, it is smoked, baked, vaped, extracted, all of which will likely remove or kill any pathogens that may end up on our buds.

So, this guy is partially correct in stating that most of the outdoor crops will test for some kind of fungus or bacteria. But he is totally off base by making people fear outdoor crops. Someone (sorry I forgot who) already stated that plenty of indoor cops get contaminated with fungus and bacteria as well, and often that contamination comes in the form of infestation; yet those meds often still hit the shelves. Even indoor grows are far from immune to bacteria and fungus. So we should not fear outdoor crops over indoor crops, that is just ridiculous.
I think we pretty much agree on this issue, but my questions still stand. I'm curious about the real facts, for example I want to answer the question once and for all--do powdery mildew, any species, cause human health hazards, infection, disease or other problems?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Sea, I wish I had a real answer for you, but unfortunately I do not. They are very good, very serious questions that I agree would be good to have answers for.

E

Empire

Here in california if u work with legitimate dispensaries, mostly everything that comes in gets sent out for testing. Molds and bacteria included.

Stop with all the hating on california. Totally unnecessary. California has paved the way for this movement long before colorado was ever known for cannabis. A lot of colorado folk talk major shit about california on these forums and its pretty ridiculous. California is the reason cannabis even started becoming a legitimate medicine and commodity instead of the earlier reefer madness views. So calm down with the California shit talking. Just makes u look jealous and ignorant. And for the record. 90% of californias herb is grown in the mountains at elevation. Not like theres huge outdoors grows in la on the beach. Come on now. Its pretty clear to see that colorado growers follow the trends of california growers. except about 2 years behind. By the time we have moved on and gotten sick of a variety, its just getting popular in colorado. Sure there are some connected few who get cuts from buddies, but the majority are way far behind.
My point being. Throwing california under the bus constantly is extremely disrespectful and shows the lack of knowledge and history of this plant the younger generation has and those of u in the older generation have forgotten.

sky_blue

sky_blue

No bombing on CA necessary. The problem here is NM dispensary owner (s) that are trying to convince medical patients - all outside herb - is most likely to have a problem and be unsafe.
Literally, the info being pushed here is an extreme warning of the danger of herb from private growers. (If you look at the orig. email, it quotes the avg. dispensary loss of business during the Summer harvest months, and then goes on to condemn all privately grown herb as dangerous for your health.:confused: This has to be corrected somehow...

S

SatansSon

See here is where I get confused. I've smoked almost dayly from the early sixties on and hands down the finest quality I've ever had was outdoor grown totally organic farmed with love.

Top Bottom