Inexperienced, First Outdoor Grow, Yellow Leaves, Possible Stem Rot

• Thread starter lowlander
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

lowlander

Hey farmers. My brother and I are inexperienced growers from Central Europe. He started his first plants this year outdoor for medical use and for fun. I grow indoor in soil, second year. He has some problems with his plants and I'm writing because he doesn't speak English well.

He grows two plants, strains are Royal Gorilla and Dance World. Both feminized and from Royal Queen Seeds.

There are multiple problems we want to heal. We looked through quite a few threads in the infirmary including Seamaiden's deficiency charts but can't diagnose confidently. We would appreciate help to diagnose and suggestions to heal them.

Gorilla:
Inexperienced first outdoor grow yellow leaves possible stem rot 6

Dance World:
Dw full

Dw full2

Multiple problems:
1. Yellowing leaves on Dance World. Tip of leaves start to yellow and curl up, then the whole leaf yellows. Started about 2 months ago. Not a quick process but it slowly spreads. Appears on bottom an mid leaves. We figured it can be N deficiency, or she's using up nutrients in lower leaves to build the flowers.
2. Hole on stem of DW. It's been there for 2 months and maybe it was stem rot she recovered from.
3. Spotty leaves on Gorilla. We figured it can be Ca deficiency based on nute deficiency diagnostic posts on farmer forums.
4. Holes in the middle of some leaves of Gorilla. Probably something chews on them but he couldn't find what. Maybe related to the spots?

They are about 18 weeks old. Started flowering a few weeks ago.
Started in small pots from fem seeds, then moved to 20 liter pots.
Soil is Plagron Royalmix (comes with some perlite and time-released nutrients). 6.5 Ph if tester is correct.
I'm not sure about nutes. Royal Queen Seed's Easy Grow Booster Tablets were used, and later some Easy Bloom Booster Tablets. My brother thinks he overwatered them for a while before he figured out how to water. Grow booster was used without any pure water in between and was stopped after leaves started to yellow.
Temperature was around 77F in the last month, sometimes up to 95F. Heavy rains before that. The plants get direct sunlight. Pots are black plastic and probably get hot during daytime.
They were sometimes sprayed with neem oil.

Dance World yellow leaves:
Dw leaves start

Dw leaves all

DW stem rot? Been there for 2 months.
Dw stem

Gorilla spotty leaves and holes:
G leaves holes

G leaves spots

Any help would be appreciated to heal the ladies! Thanks!

-lowlander-

Last edited:
KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

Hey farmers. My brother and I are inexperienced growers from Central Europe. He started his first plants this year outdoor for medical use and for fun. I grow indoor in soil, second year. He has some problems with his plants and I'm writing because he doesn't speak English well.

He grows two plants, strains are Royal Gorilla and Dance World. Both feminized and from Royal Queen Seeds.

There are multiple problems we want to heal. We looked through quite a few threads in the infirmary including Seamaiden's deficiency charts but can't diagnose confidently. We would appreciate help to diagnose and suggestions to heal them.

Gorilla:
View attachment 822868

Dance World:
View attachment 822863

View attachment 822864

Multiple problems:
1. Yellowing leaves on Dance World. Tip of leaves start to yellow and curl up, then the whole leaf yellows. Started about 2 months ago. Not a quick process but it slowly spreads. Appears on bottom an mid leaves. We figured it can be N deficiency, or she's using up nutrients in lower leaves to build the flowers.
2. Hole on stem of DW. It's been there for 2 months and maybe it was stem rot she recovered from.
3. Spotty leaves on Gorilla. We figured it can be Ca deficiency based on nute deficiency diagnostic posts on farmer forums.
4. Holes in the middle of some leaves of Gorilla. Probably something chews on them but he couldn't find what. Maybe related to the spots?

They are about 18 weeks old. Started flowering a few weeks ago.
Started in small pots from fem seeds, then moved to 20 liter pots.
Soil is Plagron Royalmix (comes with some perlite and time-released nutrients). 6.5 Ph if tester is correct.
I'm not sure about nutes. Royal Queen Seed's Easy Grow Booster Tablets were used, and later some Easy Bloom Booster Tablets. My brother thinks he overwatered them for a while before he figured out how to water. Grow booster was used without any pure water in between and was stopped after leaves started to yellow.
Temperature was around 77F in the last month, sometimes up to 95F. Heavy rains before that. The plants get direct sunlight. Pots are black plastic and probably get hot during daytime.
They were sometimes sprayed with neem oil.

Dance World yellow leaves:
View attachment 822866

View attachment 822865

DW stem rot? Been there for 2 months.
View attachment 822867

Gorilla spotty leaves and holes:
View attachment 822869

View attachment 822870

Any help would be appreciated to heal the ladies! Thanks!

-lowlander-
Well i can tell ya that i think the hole in the stem was from some type of boring insect or grub. I assume thats what was eating some leaves. Not uncommon for outdoor grows... As far as your other issues i notice how the leaves are cupped or canoed. That leads me to believe that heat is an issue... While leavea do yellow in flowering, i would say its at least 5 to 6 weeks into true flower when that happens... Imo i would say theres a few things going on here... 1. The size of those plants are impressive but the pots seem to be to small wich might be causing them to become root bound. 2. I know you said PH is at 6.5 wich is good for soil but have you checked the run off from the soil? I suspect there is a nutrient lock out caused by bad PH levels. 3. Nitrogen defecintcy looks to be the most predominant. Again this could be caused by lock out... Coupled with lock out and being root bound, i would say ultimately this might be damaging the root zone. Ive seen plants exhibit these traits when the root ball is unhealthy or damaged... I might also add the you had mentioned you were using soil with time released nutes and added stuff to it over time. Using time released nutes is generally not a good idea. Idk how many posts ive read about the headaches of using these types of soils. But if you choose to use them always check the run off after watering. Both ppms and PH. This will tell you whats going on in your medium and if its safe introduce more nutes or wait till the premix nutes are used up.... Imo the solution would be to let the soil dry out the flush the pots with PH balanced water. Use 4x the amount or water in corilation to the size of your container... Then let the soil dry again and lightly feed the plants as normal... Unfortunately since your into flower, you wont see much improvement as far as the leaves go. But your bud should be ok.... Remove those dead leaves too btw. They can cause bud rot later on and make things really bad and depressing.

Monster762

Monster762

Plants look good. I wouldn’t stress too much. How dry are they ? Upward curl as said above usually heat or just dry. What are your feeds n all just so people know. I don’t think it’s nutes but still.

Monster762

Monster762

And I usually just keep neem oil to spray everything in veg as preventative for bugs and fungus. I stop all that at flower but bugs stay away for the most part. Even on my outdoor widow.

Ina

Ina

Clean all the yellow,transplant in bigger pots(better in the evening so they can go to dark after transplanting) with other rich soil and spray with something for pests.Do it faster before they are too much in flower:)

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Welcome to the forum.

I agree that this looks like it might be lockout. I don't think its general N deficiency, because the leaves are generally green, and N shortage usually shows hardest in the lower leaves. The yellowing in the middle is similar to what another guy had here just a few days ago, and it turned out his soil was very akaline, probably locking something out. But your tester says 6.5, which should be fine. What kind of tester are you using? Can you get one like this: https://www.amazon.com/YELYEH-Moist...ocphy=9033612&hvtargid=pla-439860527930&psc=1

If you can, a good cannabis oriented nutrient line would remove some uncertainty. Botanicare has calcium and magnesium in a good balance, so that would remove that uncertainty. If you get this, replace your current nutes with it, don't add them together. I use at 15 ml/gal, less than the company recommends. Check the top link in my sig for how well that works. Here is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/Botanicare-B...rd_wg=K86vT&psc=1&refRID=ESFAVXYYJD9QVSZ4ZMGQ

I agree that your plants would be happier repotted, but its getting late in the season. I'd just live with those pots. The plant is budding, its not going to want to put energy into growing roots.

I don't think this is directly heat related. 95 degrees is nothing to pot. It's been close to 100 here for the past three weeks, and my babies are thriving. Again, see the link. That said, given the small pots, they may have gotten dried out. So careful attention to watering may be necessary.

My two cents. Good luck.

Ina

Ina

Yes ,if they were transplanted just before flowering it would be best ….Much easier with feeding.But if he do it right now(the stage is early enough) they will feel better than adding some new nutes in those same small pots under the sun.They have months to go in them!If he is experienced grower he can make big buds in really small container with adding different nutes but..it would be difficult.I personally cant do much in these with this size of plants,i would just repot them even now(but that's me,i'm no pro and I find it easier to fix problems that way):)I think more problems will appear(hope not)during flowering in these containers.Or you have to feed them really hard!:) But you are right,as deeper as they go in flower repotting is getting pointless.Usually veg stage is really easy in every container and the plants can get enormous even in 3,4 litters pot but flowering in the same small pot...….Or you can repot only these plants which are the least blossomed.

L

lowlander

Thanks a lot for the comments, I really appreciate it! I've translated and sent them over to my brother.

Based on them the main question seems to be Ph to me, measured with a reliable tester. If Ph is good then the plants are running out of nutes. If Ph is not good then it might caused lock out and the Ph needs to be fixed first.

L

lowlander

Plants were moved to bigger, 2x size pots immediately and yellow leaves were removed. A few new yellow leaves appeared but not much. My brother started to feed them with 2.9 - 6.1 - 6.1 cactus nutrients at every 3rd watering. There are some seeds but no sign of male parts. I guess pollen come from other plants. There are lots of feral cannabis plants in our region.

It looks the they like the new pots and they feel good :)

Thanks again for the help. I'll post how it all turned out in the end.

Last edited:
L

lowlander

The plants were hit by heavy rain today, and all the Gorilla's main stems snapped near the ground, where they are already quite woody. My brother placed the stems back and tied them around tightly. It was developing huge huge colas, she is beautiful.

I did some reading and found that stems usually heal. Is there some special treatment we should add besides tying them back?

Top Bottom