inline filters

• Thread starter FooDoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FooDoo

How many of the members have removed the inline filters from the return lines?

I'm going to be replacing the pinched and warped soft 3/4 return hose with PVC and was contemplating removing the inline filter. I had massive amounts of roots grow into one of them and clog the system up pretty badly.

I know that they are there for a reason, keeping debris from.potentially getting to the pump ,but I'm curious if anyone's removed them and had good success in doing so.

Thank you

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I have ran my UC without one for years. My pump is on easy disconnects so if I notice a drop in water movement I shut off valves before pump and clean. I have only had to clean due to slow movement once. I check between runs. If you're using hydroton make sure your net pots are free of anything too little to fall through or get pushed through by future roots. I always have a couple pumps waiting in line ready to work. I just didn't like using those filters. All Pvc is the way to go I also use the pipe covers to keep the pvc well insulated. Have fun with the fresh tweaking of your system...

F

FooDoo

I have ran my UC without one for years. My pump is on easy disconnects so if I notice a drop in water movement I shut off valves before pump and clean. I have only had to clean due to slow movement once. I check between runs. If you're using hydroton make sure your net pots are free of anything too little to fall through or get pushed through by future roots. I always have a couple pumps waiting in line ready to work. I just didn't like using those filters. All Pvc is the way to go I also use the pipe covers to keep the pvc well insulated. Have fun with the fresh tweaking of your system...

Perfect. Going to pull them off asap. Since you're very familiar with modifying the returns, can i ask your opinion on two really quick ideas.

I can never reach the shut off valves once the forest sets in, can i just remove the two shut off valves, and place a single shut off valve after the two returns "T" or "Y" into one return before the Pump? So if i have to remove or clean the pump, instead of having to close two valves at the back of the hard to reach system, i can instead, simply close one at the front of the system right before the pump and disconnect.

Secondly, if you think its a good idea for the shut off modification, would it then be ok to place an inline filter right infront of the new shutoff? Since that way roots cant grow into it and create a massive clog but it can still keep other debris such as small grow stone from getting into the pump? Or should i simply throw the whole notion of the inline filter away .

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I re ran my system completely, I took the 3 in./3/4 in. tees on the back manifold and made them 3in. by 1in and turned them around so my pump lines didn't run down my aisles. I then evenly made those 1in. lines off the manifold meet at a tee and directly to a shut off. I like a close shut off just in oh shit situations which we all have from time to time. I also have a shut off on each side of my pump, which are connected to easy disconnects. Also my pump to my UC'S are away from my system, usually in a different room with my chiller and water tanks. It's a preference of cleaning I think. I just don't like another joint with the possibilities of leak. I think it's all about what works for you...

F

FooDoo

I'm about two weeks into my next run and was able to modify the returns. Works way better now. Here's some pics

Removed the shutoff valve and inline filters from the return manifold and attached a female PVC adapter
IMG 20141025 205412210 HDR

Here's the PVC return
IMG 20141025 205401347 HDR

And the new manifold I made for the remote epi center and mainfold for the return
IMG 20141025 205432469 HDR

Last but not least, here's the epicenter and pump mounted outside the tent for ease
IMG 20141025 205534184

Flows like the rapids. There's no way for this setup to clog with roots the way countless of my previous grows have with the old setup

cephalopod

cephalopod

I pulled mine was tired of it clogging. I just use a filter sock over the return in the epi, much easier to get at and clean.

Top Bottom