Is Genetic Drift In Cloning A Thing?

• Thread starter Ty Palmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

I am not a believer in genetic drift.
Having grown clone to clone for over six years with two strains, and have yet to see any change.
There are however any number of metabolic paths that could degrade over time.
Take for example a plant that has been weakened by mites.
Nothing to do with genetics, but they can take a long time to recover from such an insult.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Does this look like anything but super top shelf still? I got this clone about 4 yrs ago. It's a clone from a clone and repeat for 4+yrs. Gorilla glue 4
The original clone only gg4.

A clone is an exact copy as it's host. Just like dolly the sheep. Same DNA as what it was cultured and grown from.
20170604 202634
20170608 193925

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Now!, there are issues that can cause clone degradation.

Say your environment is way different than mine. Like hugely different. Your yield will not the same as my yields.

Environment
Nutes
grower experience
length of growth

Also these can sway clones to not be on par as their host.

I have a private bred strain called mob fuck. It's mob boss x glue fuck (gg4 x atf)). I only know of 3 growers who have clones from me and theirs all comes out awesome. 4 more of us it fox fails something bizzar. I don't run it, nor have I in over 1yr. It's super awesome strain, but flowers suck balls. Airy and fox tails at week 4+. No change in growth with anytbing we do. But the lucky few kill it. And I love my mob boss pheno. Nicknamed "my little friend".

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

I know a guy that after taking clone after clone after clone from Blackberry Kush (several yrs but not exactly sure on how many, cuts taken off veg plants, no moms) I know that his last clones offspring a month ago had serious autoflower tendencies. Before he was able to keep it at 18/6 and now he has to do 24, from them autoing on him. Has his product degraded? Absolutely not, but maybe this has something to do with the drift? I am just as curious myself, I have heard from a couple big time growers that believe in genetic drift(Jack from Jungle boys) I believe with the Phylos Galaxy and all the DNA tracking, there may be a definitive answer to this question sooner than later.

Smerb

Smerb

Cut,cut,cut. No change that I've ever seen. Just shitty clones do to not taking care of them properly. Even then a clone that's not doing well is small enough to be pinched and cut later to be a monster.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Clones do not genetically drift. Plants have phenotype expression that varies with environment - that accounts for any differences between two plants cloned. Many familiar crops ( navel oranges, for instance - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(fruit)#Navel_oranges ) are clones.

"Today, navel oranges continue to be propagated through cutting and grafting. This does not allow for the usual selective breeding methodologies, and so all navel oranges can be considered fruits from that single, nearly two-hundred-year-old tree: they have exactly the same genetic make-up as the original tree and are, therefore, clones."

@Ty Palmer - do you actually grow anything?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Clones do not genetically drift. Plants have phenotype expression that varies with environment - that accounts for any differences between two plants cloned. Many familiar crops ( navel oranges, for instance - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(fruit)#Navel_oranges ) are clones.

"Today, navel oranges continue to be propagated through cutting and grafting. This does not allow for the usual selective breeding methodologies, and so all navel oranges can be considered fruits from that single, nearly two-hundred-year-old tree: they have exactly the same genetic make-up as the original tree and are, therefore, clones."

do you actually grow anything?

:fire::shockedninja::cool::shockedninja::fire:

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Now you got the ole thinking cap on!

Ty Palmer

Ty Palmer

Fair question. I grew as a complete newbie (oh, the stories) in 2001, and in my above ground capacity find myself in a good number of grows from time to time. I like to get straight to the point with growers about things I read and hear as particularly contentious or new ideas. Fusarium is another topic which comes up around the table lately. Nasty stuff!

Ty Palmer

Ty Palmer

And definitely stoked to see good work being done, @Ignignokt Some of the samples I saw at the Cannabis Cup this past weekend in Santa Rosa were off the charts. Some excellent efforts on display out there!

Dunge

Dunge

Equivocation vis-a-vie rejection of drift.

Consider the banana.

It is my understanding that the banana is exclusively cloned.
Did all the verities of banana presently available come from drift, or were they individually captured from mutant original plants?

diamond2.0

diamond2.0

i grew udub and trainwreck for a decade together and my u.w. would have the pepperoni flavor the trainwreck had once in awhile after say 9 years or so. that was it though that i could tell. Still looked and smoked the same.

straincreation

straincreation

Equivocation vis-a-vie rejection of drift.

Consider the banana.

It is my understanding that the banana is exclusively cloned.
Did all the verities of banana presently available come from drift, or were they individually captured from mutant original plants?
Theres only 9ne type of banan keft and fucken dole owns the genetics! As far as the mass produced banans. Ya theres little ones and shit but the banan you see at the store is the only kind left of it kind.

Top Bottom