Is There A Method Or Medium In Which I Can Only Add Nutrients Every 2 Weeks?

• Thread starter Ralfmichhigh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Ralfmichhigh

Hello,
Im new to this whole growing thing and very interested in it, that is why I have some questions! So for my first grow I have to do it in a little weekend house. In the house we have water and electricity and heat but I can obly be there every about two weeks. The space is also quite small so a large tank wouldn’t fit. I have an automatic timer to water the plants. My question is, is there a system or method where i only have to give the plants nutrients every two weeks and where I cant overwater? For the overwatering problem i thought a hempy bucket or coco might work but then again i have the nutrient Problem, or would it work if I would add slowly releasing nutrients?
Thank you very much,
Ralf
P.S. my budget is sadly quite small :(

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Hello,
Im new to this whole growing thing and very interested in it, that is why I have some questions! So for my first grow I have to do it in a little weekend house. In the house we have water and electricity and heat but I can obly be there every about two weeks. The space is also quite small so a large tank wouldn’t fit. I have an automatic timer to water the plants. My question is, is there a system or method where i only have to give the plants nutrients every two weeks and where I cant overwater? For the overwatering problem i thought a hempy bucket or coco might work but then again i have the nutrient Problem, or would it work if I would add slowly releasing nutrients?
Thank you very much,
Ralf
P.S. my budget is sadly quite small :(
Not to crush your dreams but I got a bad feelin bout your plan. I wouldn’t recommend doing your first grow at a spot where you can’t be at daily.
That being said, if you mixed up a good ‘hot’ soil batch that could carry you between fertilizing.
Maxibloom in a hydro setup where you let some sit undisolved in your reservoir and it sort of time releases. (Sketch IMO but seen it done)
Instead of figuring a meathod that can handle overwatering, figure out a different system that doesn’t over water...

But again, doesn’t sound like a great idea. Generally when A New grower is away one week, half the plants are dead. Good luck to ya buddy. I’m sure you ll figure somethin out

Ina

Ina

If you have backyard there may be you can try outdoors directly into the ground.I grow guerilla style,i'm trying to go there as much as possible but I usually can do that every two weeks,sometimes even 3 unfortunatelly....With some mulch and nice soil you don't have to water so much but still...it is better to be there at least first few weeks, every week or something.When they are small you can grow them somewhere near you,on your balcony or whatever,you don't need so much things and lights to make seedling for outdoor planting.And when they are big enough you can prepare their outdoor conditions as much as you can in your backyard and plant them directly in big hole filled with nice,rich soil mix(in pots,especially plastic if you are not there the chance to find them dried out is way bigger).Fertilizing wont be a problem that way but you have to water them somehow,the more-the better:).O, in coco they must be watered and feeded daily,even few times in one day,i wouldn't suggest that medium in your case.....Or you have to make everything automatic but for first grow it won't be easy for you,you have to watch and observe how these plants are growing during their life cycle at least once or twice before you can figure fully automatic system or something like that.And I guess the budget will be a problem here:)

R

Ralfmichhigh

Not to crush your dreams but I got a bad feelin bout your plan. I wouldn’t recommend doing your first grow at a spot where you can’t be at daily.
That being said, if you mixed up a good ‘hot’ soil batch that could carry you between fertilizing.
Maxibloom in a hydro setup where you let some sit undisolved in your reservoir and it sort of time releases. (Sketch IMO but seen it done)
Instead of figuring a meathod that can handle overwatering, figure out a different system that doesn’t over water...

But again, doesn’t sound like a great idea. Generally when A New grower is away one week, half the plants are dead. Good luck to ya buddy. I’m sure you ll figure somethin out
Thank you very much for your help!
I fergot to mention that is has wifi and that im turning my webcam into a 24 hour watching station.
I have looked a bit further and figured out a couple of things. I am not sire which medium i am going to use but i read that quite a couple people used a long release fertilizer (
osmocote) and where very happy with the effects. I would use it in a smaller dose so that when flowing time comes ill have the nitrogen at low levels. I know alot of people dont like the idea but i think ill give it a go. Sadly i cant have it close to me as im sill living with my parents, moving out soon though!
Do you think perlite and the nutrients could maybe possibly work?
Ralf

R

Ralfmichhigh

If you have backyard there may be you can try outdoors directly into the ground.I grow guerilla style,i'm trying to go there as much as possible but I usually can do that every two weeks,sometimes even 3 unfortunatelly....With some mulch and nice soil you don't have to water so much but still...it is better to be there at least first few weeks, every week or something.When they are small you can grow them somewhere near you,on your balcony or whatever,you don't need so much things and lights to make seedling for outdoor planting.And when they are big enough you can prepare their outdoor conditions as much as you can in your backyard and plant them directly in big hole filled with nice,rich soil mix(in pots,especially plastic if you are not there the chance to find them dried out is way bigger).Fertilizing wont be a problem that way but you have to water them somehow,the more-the better:).O, in coco they must be watered and feeded daily,even few times in one day,i wouldn't suggest that medium in your case.....Or you have to make everything automatic but for first grow it won't be easy for you,you have to watch and observe how these plants are growing during their life cycle at least once or twice before you can figure fully automatic system or something like that.And I guess the budget will be a problem here:)
Hello,
I have tried that last summer but the conditions in my environment are quite harsh and i usually live in a large city with my parenTs (moving out soon though!!) in the small cabin i have automated water, electricity and a webcam that sends everything to my phone so that is good. I thought about using perlite and a long release, 1 1/2 moths, fertilizer (osmocote) from which ive heard good things. Do you think that could work?
Ralf

Ina

Ina

I'm not sure about slow releasing ferts….They can release elements long after the plant doesn't need them,like N for example and you could not cut it when you need to....I guess you mean some kind of DWC or something but i don't know much about this type of growing,sorry.:)I guess it also needs to be visited as much as possible.
I make my own bio ferts,collected from my garden at home and I use rich soil,it is really easy for me that way.What is coming to my mind(because it is the only way of growing I know-in soil) is one really big bed with rich soil and perlite indoors(one enormous pot where all the plans grow together ,not many small size pots),that way it could stay wet long enough and you don't have to feed with anything else if the soil is nice......That way you have to think only for the lights,vents and watering.Again you could use mulch on the surface of the soil to retain moisture longer.And if you can monitoring them with that camera and come along quick if they need you I guess it can be done:)

R

Ralfmichhigh

I'm not sure about slow releasing ferts….They can release elements long after the plant doesn't need them,like N for example and you could not cut it when you need to....I guess you mean some kind of DWC or something but i don't know much about this type of growing,sorry.:)I guess it also needs to be visited as much as possible.
I make my own bio ferts,collected from my garden at home and I use rich soil,it is really easy for me that way.What is coming to my mind(because it is the only way of growing I know-in soil) is one really big bed with rich soil and perlite indoors(one enormous pot where all the plans grow together ,not many small size pots),that way it could stay wet long enough and you don't have to feed with anything else if the soil is nice......That way you have to think only for the lights,vents and watering.Again you could use mulch on the surface of the soil to retain moisture longer.And if you can monitoring them with that camera and come along quick if they need you I guess it can be done:)
Thank you, everyone has thier own method that works for them but with my space capability’s and with my resources its going to be difficult to implement your style of growing.
Ralf

Reactions: Ina
Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
I would just get some down to earth dry fertilizers, or maybe fox farm dry ferts. I would use bluemats as your watering to avoid over watering, however it requires a large reservoir.

R

Ralfmichhigh

I would just get some down to earth dry fertilizers, or maybe fox farm dry ferts. I would use bluemats as your watering to avoid over watering, however it requires a large reservoir.
Thank you,
I looked them up and found alot of critique about them because they where developed for plants that need longer to grow. People said they rather used fabric pots, in which they didn’t have problems with overeating.
Ralf

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Hello,
I have tried that last summer but the conditions in my environment are quite harsh and i usually live in a large city with my parenTs (moving out soon though!!) in the small cabin i have automated water, electricity and a webcam that sends everything to my phone so that is good. I thought about using perlite and a long release, 1 1/2 moths, fertilizer (osmocote) from which ive heard good things. Do you think that could work?
Ralf
It will either work or just roast the shit out of everything IMO. You seem to be intelligent and sounds like you’ve done some homework.. problem is what you want/are describing can be done, but by someone with like a decade of experience. I feel if I was to set that all up with your current plan, I’d give myself a 20 percent chance of it not being a complete disaster. I do have some years of growing under my belt, but I’m not all that bright. You seem smart so even first time I’ll give you same odds. I guess if you were scared of failure you wouldn’t be trying this in the first place. If you would like better odds, take @Ina s advice. (Not the outdoor part, but forget your dreams of hydro cause that’s just suicide for your circumstances) fox farm, or have a look at some genius’ soil mixes on this forum. You get a good hot soil mix (don’t start the seedlings in it) and id give you at least 50/50 odds of success

F

FutureGrower

Man you are a perfect contender for true organics. Look up mofo's notil revisited. He does alot but you really only need to top dress with neem once a week or so to control fungus gnats. As far as not over watering you can get a blumat system with a water meter and attach it to a big reservoir.

Reactions: Ina
F

FutureGrower

Dude you can go your entire cycle without adding anything but water with living soil if your setup is dialed.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Dude you can go your entire cycle without adding anything but water with living soil if your setup is dialed.
Sure but she’s gotta be bang on.. also buddy wants hydro type setup by the sounds of it. I recommended if he does undertake this grow to use a good soil mix like your referring to. Maybe post up a link for OP with a good soil brew

F

FutureGrower

Sure but she’s gotta be bang on.. also buddy wants hydro type setup by the sounds of it. I recommended if he does undertake this grow to use a good soil mix like your referring to. Maybe post up a link for OP with a good soil brew

I apologize man I didn't even see it was in the hydro section I think I probably clicked this thread from recent posts lol.

I'm not sure that I can post a link to competitor forums. He can search Google for

"Mofos notil revisited" and go to the very first page of the thread.

Ina

Ina

I'm sorry,i also didn't notice that this is the hydro section!i was thinking that you just want to grow some plants anyhow but you can visit only twice a month and you have no experience.....

gwheels

gwheels

autopots are pretty close to that. If you ran 2 plants to 1 rez you could probably get 2 weeks out of it. It is gravity feed and not hydroponic but i find they get funky without a water pump stirring the solution every now and then.

I have 4 smaller pots (15L or 4 g) and 2 larger ones (25 Litre or 6.5 gallons).

They work well. coco coir and an aeration medium (hydroton/perlite) works good with it.

R

Ralfmichhigh

It will either work or just roast the shit out of everything IMO. You seem to be intelligent and sounds like you’ve done some homework.. problem is what you want/are describing can be done, but by someone with like a decade of experience. I feel if I was to set that all up with your current plan, I’d give myself a 20 percent chance of it not being a complete disaster. I do have some years of growing under my belt, but I’m not all that bright. You seem smart so even first time I’ll give you same odds. I guess if you were scared of failure you wouldn’t be trying this in the first place. If you would like better odds, take @Ina s advice. (Not the outdoor part, but forget your dreams of hydro cause that’s just suicide for your circumstances) fox farm, or have a look at some genius’ soil mixes on this forum. You get a good hot soil mix (don’t start the seedlings in it) and id give you at least 50/50 odds of success
Hello,
Thank you for your very detailed response. I wouldn’t call myself smart but I like to think allot about thinks i like. It is sadly not quite my choice how i grow the plants because of my current situation, thats why i would also want to use the long release fertilizer. Btw i accidentally put this in the hydroponics section im new to this forum! A super soil in your words would work well? What i was also thinking was a hempy bucket with 100% perlite and slow release Nutrients that take about 1 1/2 months to dissolve, but i think that is going a bit over the top with experimenting. Do you think i could master the Problem of overwatering by using grow bags ( i heard someone say they work well)?
Thank you,
Ralf

R

Ralfmichhigh

Sorry, im new to the forum and didn’t quite know, yea if i find one that i like!
Ralf

R

Ralfmichhigh

I'm sorry,i also didn't notice that this is the hydro section!i was thinking that you just want to grow some plants anyhow but you can visit only twice a month and you have no experience.....
My bad im new to the forum anything would work, as long as it fits my requirements:/
Ralf

Latest posts

Top Bottom