is this enough light for 14'x14' room

• Thread starter walshy0913
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

walshy0913

i wana start alarger indoor soil grow so i made a bigger room...i have 3 600 watt hps and a 400 watt mh and i plan on growing somewhr around 30 plants...question is is this enough light per square footage for tht many plants in tht big of a room for veg and wat would i need to flower tht many plants in this size room..ne cooments would b great

Papa

Papa

Supporter
(3 x 600w) + 400w = 2,200w

14' x 14' = 196 sq. ft.

2,200w/196 sq. ft. = 11.2w/sq. ft.

increase your lighting by 500% and you'll be good to go.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
so, as you can see walshy, electrical is one of the major parameters of a grow room. using an entire 14' x 14' room as a growing environment is going to require well over 100 amps of power.

so, it may be more helpful for you to first determine how much lighting you can power, with the associated a/c, dehumidifiers, fans, etc., and work your way back to the room size.

or, if you except your 2,200w existing lighting as a given, then work your way to the optimal room size. let's use your 2,200w and 60w/sq. ft. goal as an example.

(sq. ft of room) x 60w/sq. ft. = 2,200w
(sq. ft of room) = 36 sq. ft

so, if this is your case, and you've got those lamps in hoods, then (this exercise to put you into the proper ballpark tells us that) you may be looking at one or one and a half 4'x8' tables. the hoods will assist you with directing as much of that light as possible into your growing area.

convex

convex

To continue with Papa's assumption that your existing lights are what you have to work with ...

Three 4x4 tables with 600's over each table and a 400 between each of the 600's and cut your room in half (plus add room to work).

Cheers

K

kes5480

2 600's and a 400??
sounds like my friends set up.
hes running about 30 plants under that and i believe he has way 2many plants under a total of 1600 watts and its a decent sized room. the plants that are directly under the lights looked good but the rest of em are very stretched out and golf ball sized nugs everywhere due to the lack of lumens.
kinda seems like a waste to put in all the time effort and money into ur grow if ur plants arnt gonna yeild very good.
Less plant #'s would work alot better and u will end up with more top shelf buds instead of all flarff and only a handfull of good nugs tryin to pack 2 much plants under not enuff light.....
anyways i would agree with convex except i would run 2 4x4 tables and not 3, only cuz i like mid sized plants....3 would be good for sog style small plants.
ok im done blabbin
idk if i helpd any..lol
peace
kes

convex

convex

My mistake, I thought it was 3x600 and 2x400 - misread it ;)

W

walshy0913

holy crap thnks guys ima deff cut it down i havnt grown nething tht size before i usually do a 4x8x6h with 2 600s above 10 plants and did alrite i thought yielded bout a lb or more ea time...thnks for the advice tho and ima rip it down and restart wat do u guys thiks bout 8x8 with the 3 600s would tht b bout rite??????

Papa

Papa

Supporter
slow down and read it slowly a couple of times. assuming your lamps are in hoods we're suggesting from two to three 4 x 4 tables. that's also assuming that's your style. now, you can put those tables into the room you have now and be okay.

before asking more questions, maybe you can confirm that your lamps are in hoods, what style of growing you're looking to do, what's your budget, etc.

K

kes5480

oh my bad it says he's got 3- 600watt HPS and 1 - 400watt MH
thats 2200watts...........

W

walshy0913

yea i do get a little antsy sometimes haha hard not to but ill break it down for ya...i got 3 600 watts in sunleaves hoods and the 400mh is on a wing hood a cheapy...the 3 600s have electric ballests and the 400 has a magnetic...i usually grow rite on the floor not in trays but i llike the idea of the trays...im a soil grower all the way like the organic stuff...i have no budget sobwhoever asked tht thrs ur answer...last nite wen i read the post s put up i framed the room rite in half and and thn framed one of the halfs again so i got 3 rooms..ones 7x14 for flowring ones 7x7 for veg and the othger is 7x7 for cloning,materials etc...i like the idea of this better so its wat im workin with no...walls are all insulated reflective material not sure of the name but its foam board with mylar glued to it...got intake exhaust air filters the works just not all set up yet...lookin for some input on a setup for ea room..thnks

Top Bottom