Kaskadian's Landrace Adventure

• Thread starter Kaskadian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kaskadian

Kaskadian

Eyyy all!

Got a fun project kicking off to keep me sane during these winter months! I'm going to be having more FUN than I can handle playing with some funky landrace genetics. This is going to be a VERY long grow log, with a lot of learning along the way. So let's get into the strains that I'll be playing with:

I'll be filling in lots of addition info on each strain in the coming days.

Green Haze (16-20 weeks)
Mangobiche (16-24 weeks)
Purple Haze x Honduras (Unknown -- I'm estimating 13-15+ weeks)

All seeds have been started and put into Happy Frog soil with no other nutrients/amendments. Currently all seedlings are under a 400w MH, temps are 25.5 c/78f, PH 6.6. I'm planning on moving everything into 5-6 gallon containers for veg to turn everything into a mom/dad plant and due to space limitations I'll be playing primarily with cuttings. I've grown finicky strains before, and long flowering strains, but nothing like these 20+ week monsters!

My goals is to play with cuttings in a DWC hydro setup. Landrace genetics are very finicky with feeding, and slight variances in PH can cause some serious issues for them. They especially don't take well to nitrogen. I'll be running at 1/4 strength nutes for the duration of the grow. All of this makes hydro a less than ideal method for growing landraces, but I figured why the hell not... having a challenge is what makes growing so much fun. This is also why I'll be playing with cuttings instead of starting seeds directly in a rockwool/rapid rooters, etc.

The second issue outside of PH/feeding is the sheer size of these strains. It's not unheard of for a 12" plant to finish at over 5'. For this reason I'm still debating between a SCROG setup and a SOG. I think scrogging will be necessary to help contain these monsters. I'm running a grow area 4'x4' & 6.5' tall. Not exactly "micro" but definitely a small area for these strains.

Shoutouts to the boys: Dubi/Ace Crew, CBG Crew, Terpene, and the rest of you guys mad enough to grow these ridiculous old world strains.

Kaskadians landrace adventure
Kaskadians landrace adventure 2

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Eyyy all!

Got a fun project kicking off to keep me sane during these winter months! I'm going to be having more FUN than I can handle playing with some funky landrace genetics. This is going to be a VERY long grow log, with a lot of learning along the way. So let's get into the strains that I'll be playing with:

Green Haze (16-20 weeks)
Mangobiche (16-24 weeks)

All seeds have been started and put into Happy Frog soil with no other nutrients/amendments. Currently all seedlings are under a 400w MH, temps are 25.5 c/78f, PH 6.6. I'm planning on moving everything into 5-6 gallon containers for veg to turn everything into a mom/dad plant and due to space limitations I'll be playing primarily with cuttings. I've grown finicky strains before, and long flowering strains, but nothing like these 20+ week monsters!

My goals is to play with cuttings in a DWC hydro setup. Landrace genetics are very finicky with feeding, and slight variances in PH can cause some serious issues for them. They especially don't take well to nitrogen. I'll be running at 1/4 strength nutes for the duration of the grow. All of this makes hydro a less than ideal method for growing landraces, but I figured why the hell not... having a challenge is what makes growing so much fun. This is also why I'll be playing with cuttings instead of starting seeds directly in a rockwool/rapid rooters, etc.

The second issue outside of PH/feeding is the sheer size of these strains. It's not unheard of for a 12" plant to finish at over 5'. For this reason I'm still debating between a SCROG setup and a SOG. I think scrogging will be necessary to help contain these monsters. I'm running a grow area 4'x4' & 6.5' tall. Not exactly "micro" but definitely a small area for these strains.

Shoutouts to the boys: Dubi/Ace Crew, CBG Crew, Terpene, and the rest of you guys mad enough to grow these ridiculous old world strains.

View attachment 751909 View attachment 751910
Very respectable calling out the breeders and their work. Props+++

King Julien

King Julien

Eyyy all!

Green Haze (16-20 weeks)
Mangobiche (16-24 weeks)

View attachment 751909 View attachment 751910

I applaud you on taking on those challenging girls. Never grown them but from what I understand it's well worth the wait.

If they stretch as much as you say I don't see much for options other than scrog if you want to have a semblance of control.

I'm growing some Aurora Indica crossed with an unknown sativa male from the same seed company that was 17' tall when chopped and not done growing. They started flowering around 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 feet tall and now 46 days into flower are peaking out at around 4 feet in places but that was after an insane amount of super cropping. I'm afraid without all the effort I would have been dealing with some 6-7 footers at least. It's been a mess and if I grow these beans again I think I'll be using a scrog.

I can't even imagine dealing with those lanky land races. Good luck either way. I'm definitely interested in watching what they turn into.

Kaskadian

Kaskadian

Had a few bad germ rates. Could be my fault, could just be the strains. Either way I have 5/9 babies ripping through the soil. These are some stretchy monsters even with the 400w MH sitting 12" over the top of the plants!

Better pics coming guys, but here is one of the Purple Haze x Honduras. Lights are off right now, so lighting is poor. Very lanky, all of them. Had a few leaning over despite direct strong light, so they are getting a bit of support.

IMG 6017

Kaskadian

Kaskadian

A few of the wee ones are looking ugly today... transplanted the smallest in cups into larger fiber pots. I'm certain they'll recover, but it's still strange to me.

I'm debating on a micro dose of cal/mag next watering.

Temps: 82f/27.7c
PH Runoff: 6.7
Nutrients: None

IMG 6118
IMG 6120
IMG 6122

Kaskadian

Kaskadian

Few more shots post lights out. Plants were topped and are vegging away happily under the 400w MH.

IMG 6133
IMG 6135
IMG 6136
IMG 6137

Kaskadian

Kaskadian

Quick update. Been working an insane amount and haven't had much free time lately folks. Zero nutrients thus far. Perhaps a few odd deficiencies but none the less they seem to be keeping on. I may need to transplant soon. I'm planning to take cutting when possible, and get those rooted and swapped to 11/13. Stretch is unreal on a few of these (especially green haze) even in veg with close lighting.

IMG 6294
IMG 6295
IMG 6297
IMG 6300
IMG 6304
IMG 6306

B

Burned Haze

I’ve always wanted to do to true sativa dominate that takes the 15-20+ weeks of flower . ( BF dr grinspoon was on my to-do-list)

anyways I hope you actually got through it and found some true sativa that were worth the extra care and time . Kudos and hope you get back with some reports and pics ;)

Top Bottom