Led Grow Light.

• Thread starter bobs.buds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bobs.buds

Hoping for some guidance as to LED grow lights. Which is the most cost effective? What size I need? Is there one that can do double duty for veg and flower? Thanks

sixstring

sixstring

Hoping for some guidance as to LED grow lights. Which is the most cost effective? What size I need? Is there one that can do double duty for veg and flower? Thanks

What size area and what size budget?
Any of the 3500k cob led will do veg and flower fine,cree,Vero, luminous,citizen in no particular order lol.

B

bobs.buds

Any of the 3500k cob led will do veg and flower fine,cree,Vero, luminous,citizen in no particular order lol.
10x10 area exterior laundry room. I can go up to $500 since I plan to keep it for a while. How does the LED work for both veg and flower? Since in my limited experience it is MH for veg and HPS for flower.

Toaster79

Toaster79

You wanna light up 10x10 for $500? And have a quality light for the next 5+ years while you're at it?

MH and HPS have very narrow spectrums, that's why you need one or another for each phase. LEDs have much broader spectrum so you can use them both in veg and flower. The light modern white LEDs emit is closer to suns than both MH and HPS together.

B

bobs.buds

Than
You wanna light up 10x10 for $500? And have a quality light for the next 5+ years while you're at it?

MH and HPS have very narrow spectrums, that's why you need one or another for each phase. LEDs have much broader spectrum so you can use them both in veg and flower. The light modern white LEDs emit is closer to suns than both MH and HPS together.
Thanks. So is that possible ? Any specific suggestions ?

B

bobs.buds

Any specific su
Any specific suggestions?

sixstring

sixstring

500 for a 10 x 10 ? Not possible with quality LEDs.could be done with Mars/vipar fixtures but ya might as well use his I'm,they last longer.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Than

Thanks. So is that possible ? Any specific suggestions ?

No. It's not possible. With your budget you'll be growing on a 3x3 maybe 4x4 area. But definitely not on a 10x10. Are you willing to build your lights yourself or are you looking for a off the shelf solution?

B

bobs.buds

500 for a 10 x 10 ? Not possible with quality LEDs.could be done with Mars/vipar fixtures but ya might as well use his I'm,they last longer.
The room is 10x0 but the plants only occupy a 4x5 spot in it so don’t need to cover the whole area. I can up my budget if I can use the lights for a while plus I hear the LEDs run cooler.

B

bobs.buds

No. It's not possible. With your budget you'll be growing on a 3x3 maybe 4x4 area. But definitely not on a 10x10. Are you willing to build your lights yourself or are you looking for a off the shelf solution?
Don’t know electricity well enough to trust my wiring, unless truly idiot proof, lol. So off the shelf would be more practical for me. Thanks.

DGP

DGP

Don’t know electricity well enough to trust my wiring, unless truly idiot proof, lol. So off the shelf would be more practical for me. Thanks.
I run a 4x5 area with a DIY COB array of 12 COBs (4x3). It is about 750 watts true power but is fully dimmable. I figure the cost for the fixture I built is around $1 per watt.

DIY is super easy just have to hook up some basic 2 wire DC and one AC cord.

Dee

Fixture replaced a 1k hps hood:
20180115 060540
|

Toaster79

Toaster79

There are readily avaliable fixtures with COBs or quantum boards on the market also there are kits avaliable. Have a look at timber growlights, rapidled or hlg. If I were you I'd stay away from cheap chinese trash and save yourself some time, money and nerves.

B

bobs.buds

I run a 4x5 area with a DIY COB array of 12 COBs (4x3). It is about 750 watts true power but is fully dimmable. I figure the cost for the fixture I built is around $1 per watt.

DIY is super easy just have to hook up some basic 2 wire DC and one AC cord.

Dee

Fixture replaced a 1k hps hood:
View attachment 786266 |
Sounds great can you let me know where I could maybe find the components. Also are the set ups on YouTube?

B

bobs.buds

There are readily avaliable fixtures with COBs or quantum boards on the market also there are kits avaliable. Have a look at timber growlights, rapidled or hlg. If I were you I'd stay away from cheap chinese trash and save yourself some time, money and nerves.
Thanks any specific recommendations?

DGP

DGP

I use cobkits.com. Sixstring is the resident expert but there are a bunch of folks who can guide you.

Will post a list of what I used to build mine shortly. Are you in the US?

Dee

DGP

DGP

First I want to qualify what I am showing below. It is just what I used, there are lots of choices and probably better ones so go to the LED forum and read Sixstrings builds and the other sticky to see all the ways people crack this nut.

Having said all that, below is a list of the main components for what I used but I would suggest for simplicity sake you just could just use a passive heatsink assembly that comes pre-assembled with the COB, a holder, heatsink and wiring, like this:

Cxm22 120 1

With this driver (same as what I used):
https://cobkits.com/product/meanwell-hlg-240h-54b-driver/
240 54B 1

Typically you go to the hardware store and buy some aluminum angle strips to make the frame (a hacksaw and hand drill will suffice). Or, you can hang each of the heatsink fixtures directly from the ceiling on one of those adjustable yo-yo do-hickies that you use to raise and lower an HPS fixture.

Main components I used for the fixture shwon in the earlier post.
LED Chip:

Cxm22 1

LED Holder:
http://cobkits.com/product/bjb-holder-for-clu048/
Bjb048

Driver:
https://cobkits.com/product/meanwell-hlg-240h-54b-driver/
240 54B 1

Active Heatsink :
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=Arctic_CPU_cooler-_-35-186-070-_-Product
35 186 070 02 1

sixstring

sixstring

I use cobkits.com. Sixstring is the resident expert but there are a bunch of folks who can guide you.

Dee
a few things to clarify,1 im no expert on led tech but im humbled some of you think so lol.2 @Toaster79 is prob the the closest member we have to expert level here and has years more exp than myself.he just likes playin possum,dont ya toast :happy:
so to the OP here are 3 plug n play fixtures that will cover 4 x 5 very well.

http://timbergrowlights.com/fatty-vs/

B

bobs.buds

Dee
Yep in CA.

Top Bottom