Led Or T5 For Veg.. Which Light Grows A Faster And Stronger Plant?

• Thread starter Hemp55
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BombBP

BombBP

What t5 bulb brand and wattage do you use?
6k per cubic ft seems great.

Because most lighting is chosen based on price, efficiency, and grow setup.

Running HPS usually requires extraction fans to be ran at a certain level, running LED allows extraction fans to be ran much slower, thus saving on wattage.

Thats just one example, but you can see how everything begins to link in...

Running all sorts of lights would likely be the furthest away from efficiency you could get.

Also to answer you question of would there be a benefit to running diff light sources. - I doubt there would be any significant benefit, but there are significant benefits to not catering to multiple light sources(one being massive headache of light positioning, etc)
Do you mean power efficiency? All i'd have to do is switch out one bulb and I'll be running cmh, hps and led. I'm talking more in terms of spectral output than monetary output.

B

BobbyBoy

Do you mean power efficiency? All i'd have to do is switch out one bulb and I'll be running cmh, hps and led. I'm talking more in terms of spectral output than monetary output.
Power efficiency & space efficiency.

HPS requires more space to grow in, where as T5 and LED do not.

There maybe benefits of light mixing, but I dont think it would be of any significance to warrant doing it.
More straight forward to keep things simple.

BombBP

BombBP

Power efficiency & space efficiency.

HPS requires more space to grow in, where as T5 and LED do not.

There maybe benefits of light mixing, but I dont think it would be of any significance to warrant doing it.
More straight forward to keep things simple.
I think the light from multiple light source vs one would provide a wider spectral output therefore provide better growth provided you keep everything else close to the same as far as temps, humidity, etc. As far as simplicity I don't think switching out a bulb would be too complicated:p.

B

BobbyBoy

I think the light from multiple light source vs one would provide a wider spectral output therefore provide better growth provided you keep everything else close to the same as far as temps, humidity, etc. As far as simplicity I don't think switching out a bulb would be too complicated:p.
lol

if led, hps, and t5 all provide the same kelvin spectrum, why do you think you will get any worthwhile results?

BombBP

BombBP

lol

if led, hps, and t5 all provide the same kelvin spectrum, why do you think you will get any worthwhile results?
Well t5 wouldn't apply with mh, hps, led or cmh because of penetration issues but while 2 lights might have the exact same Kelvin they won't have the same nanometers. A 4500k t5, for example, will cover more of the plant spectral range than a 4500k mh. A 4500k led, 4500k t5, 4500k mh, etc will all peak at different nanometers. So since they're all peaking at different nm wouldn't you be providing a wider or more full spectrum?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
What t5 bulb brand and wattage do you use?
6k per cubic ft seems great.

I went on 1000bulbs.com and bought all GE brand bulbs 800 series.

I bought
(3) 3000k bulbs
Downloadfile

(3) 4100k bulbs
Downloadfile 1

(3) 5000k bulbs
Downloadfile 2

(3) 6500k bulbs.
Downloadfile 3

20170228 221447

The page in my thread with spectrum graphs and manufacturer spec sheets were here post #570

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/bag-seed-hunting.78896/page-29#post-1759311

The reason the lumens are so high is because the space the t5 fixture illuminates is 4 cu ft.

I looked for the largest HO T5 fixture to stuff in the 22"×22" space between the tent support rods. Got a 2' 12 bulb unit. I would have gotten the 16 bulb unit but was a couple inches short on space.

The wattage it pulls at the wall is 290watts.

Last edited:
BombBP

BombBP

This link will show you what I'm talking about a lil. The powerVEG bulbs all peak at different nm. If you scroll down to the recommended bulb combinations it shows you the spectral range said combos are covering.

I'm not trying to say everyone should go out and buy 3 light sources. Its just a thought I have when I see people ask what's the best. When building led lights covering as much of the spectral range as possible is important.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Just put of curiosity....why don't people use a combination of grow lights? I've heard ups and downs/pros and cons to all lights so why not just mix them up?

Now, I understand switching for power consumption reasons but with that not being a factor wouldn't there be an upside to using multiple light sources vs one? Wouldn't the light from multiple sources provide a wide spectrum of light? HPS, CMH and led just sounds like it would perform better vs one source alone. Just thinking out loud.

I already use led and HPS in flower. I might add a cmh just for shits and giggles. I'm also thinking about adding led in with my t5 for veg.

I am running HPS, MH and CMH in flower now. If I move my room to the bigger space I may add a 4th lamp. Maybe the cob fixture six string linked above. Then I will have a real comparison of performance if I choose or just as you suggest have many different spectrums over the plants.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

My 600 Hortilux Blue and 600 Hortilux Super HPS are in the air cooled sealed lamps in line and the cmh has clip fans blowing the heat away from the canopy and other plants and is exhausted by the room exhaust.

I have complete control and utilize a lung room next to it that houses the veg tents and a window a/c in summer. And the exhaust helps heat my house in winter. From 0 degrees to 95 degrees outside I have very good efficiency. And awesome lighting!

If I went all cobs for instance I would need a heater in there at the colder parts of winter and I still need a/c in the house in summer and definitely in my veg room so I just share all HVAC involved as best I can.

And I can observe how different lights affect plant growth differently. And they do.

And the added blue parts of the spectrum and some uv has increased terps and possibly potency.

Patients noticed and I had told them nothing about lighting upgrades. And Mrs.MedGrower and I noticed too.

Plus I love this shit!

IMG 4771

IMG 4720

Of course this thread is about veg lighting and I am still using stock 6500k T-5's in tents. And will continue as long as I start plants in my 2'x3'x3' propogator tent.

But I could run cmh or led in the 3x3 hmmm...

Hemp55

Hemp55

You're welcome brother and thank you for the info. So is there a difference between the bud directly under the chm and the hps? If so what are they. Really love the idea of this and how you have it set up. Im using a garage so I cant use a window AC. I had a standing AC unti but after 1 year of use it took a shit. Really would like to save up and get a mini split AC for my flower room. Im in a rental house though right now, so not really looking to install all that either. I need get my own place asap. In time

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You're welcome brother and thank you for the info. So is there a difference between the bud directly under the chm and the hps? If so what are they. Really love the idea of this and how you have it set up. Im using a garage so I cant use a window AC. I had a standing AC unti but after 1 year of use it took a shit. Really would like to save up and get a mini split AC for my flower room. Im in a rental house though right now, so not really looking to install all that either. I need get my own place asap. In time

I am doing this to get a fuller spectrum on the whole room. Only the corner 2 spots seem to be mostly HPS lit. But plants left under even a few days stretch a bit more and maybe stress a bit more. They also flower profusely rather than keep making leaves. And as a negative they don't have a clear positive finish. But lower buds seem to be denser and larger. Also the buds have a certain smooth appearance. And although I was happy with the potency effects and flavor and smell of the hps buds. They are not quite as good without the additional spectrum. The Hortilux Super hps has added blue. But not enough for me now that I can compare.

The cmh seems to make plants happier. They grow leaves longer through stretch and don't stretch quite as much. The leaves get huge under it. And the buds have a more natural outdoor look. They also have a more outdoor taste and high. It's stronger clearer and longer lasting. And the jars smell stronger and others did notice. The lowers do not develop as well in my garden. With a pruning technique this is workable. I just don't grow that way. My hope is to let them grow to their potential. And not hinder them as much as possible in my space.

I will continue to use both. And it is too early for me to evaluate the Hortilux Blue except to say the plants are staying compact under it so far as well. And they seem to grow more than flower for a minute like the cmh. But overall my garden has never been better. And the product is now at a level I had not expected to attain.

I put in the blue to hope for a more balanced spectrum overall. The cmh 3100k is still heavy in red spectrums.

I do want to say that the light spectrums are not the largest gain I have made. Proper nutrition throughout the whole Grow is super important for the best results. The better light spectrum aids in the uptake of the wide variety of elements available. The closer I get to a perfect cycle the better the weed usually is. Regardless of the grow light I am using. As long as it's a good one.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Perhaps just a nit, but LED is a source type and T5 is a lamp specification for diameter, etc. LED spectrum matters as does T5 lamp spectrum ( If you want optimized ). I've been using a a Hortilux PowerVeg T5 I'm quite impressed with and would recommend. The quality of the growth is what I noticed most, short inter-nodal spacing for the lamp type. Much better than anything else I've yet tried in that form factor (T5).

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Perhaps just a nit, but LED is a source type and T5 is a lamp specification for diameter, etc. LED spectrum matters as does T5 lamp spectrum ( If you want optimized ). I've been using a a Hortilux PowerVeg T5 I'm quite impressed with and would recommend. The quality of the growth is what I noticed most, short inter-nodal spacing for the lamp type. Much better than anything else I've yet tried in that form factor (T5).

I have considered changing out half my bulbs like they recommend. But I wonder if I just do 50% replacement with the red heavy flowering ones if I would get enough spectrum for way less money.

And I have not tried the GE 4100k t-5's. Many growers love them. I did use the GE 6500k and they were higher quality bulbs but I did not see better growth than the stock sun blaze ones.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

UV, baby. Just need some decent UVA with a small bit of UVB with that 'standard' PAR at veg to start it strong. Check this out: http://www.biolumic.com/

I'd use probably half the rack with power veg lamps and be happy. The DLI requirement at that stage just doesn't seem to use the extra watts. But getting the spectrum right works wonders. Just think, why would someone think they could turn seedling UV exposure into a business. Hmmm. I think I'll chase that thought here soon. Seems these NZ guys will be in town this month in SF. The folks in NZ are expediting immigration for techies that would like to avoid the next four or so years - sounds good about now.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

UV, baby. Just need some decent UVA with a small bit of UVB with that 'standard' PAR at veg to start it strong. Check this out: http://www.biolumic.com/

I'd use probably half the rack with power veg lamps and be happy. The DLI requirement at that stage just doesn't seem to use the extra watts. But getting the spectrum right works wonders. Just think, why would someone think they could turn seedling UV exposure into a business. Hmmm.

Don't have to sell me. I have been studying light spectrums and plant processes all year. But one upgrade at a time and keep practicing is my motto.

I still think that the added spectrums yield diminishing returns. Noticable but will I pic the right bud consistently in a blind test? The marketing sounds a lot better than the 2-4% you actually get in cannabanoids.

Plants transfer photosynthesis to the strongest wavelength available no matter what we are giving it. That is why hps works so well. Nice strong band to use even though it is narrow.

As for the uv in veg the Problem is I haven't added any real uv in the flower room yet. Just ballanced out the blue half of par. I would get a decent blast if I change out the 3100 cmh to 4200.

Just trying to stay realistic about how much better it really is. My jar of the last hps only flowered Blue lemon Thai was great tasting high potency meds. I cut a keeper clone off of her in flower and waited to reveg my first time just to keep her. But the newer plants under more spectrum taste a little better and have a bursting open high. But I still would consider the rest of the environment and nutrition and then the genetics more important. And the grower might have a little to do with the results more than a few light waves too :-)

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

The deal is to enable the chemistry the plant does internally. Photons are the energy inputs - to a variety of wavelength dependent engines. Plants have a more complex hormonal dependency than most realize - the flip to flower is only the most obvious to human observers. To produce other compounds and hormones, various plant structures have a daily light integral requirement to satisfy. When we satisfy those requirements fully at each stage, we get optimal production flow.

Nutrients are also an input - however research has shown that light spectrum, intensity and CO2 concentrations influence "flow". Flow is essentially the character of consistent, repeatable process if mastered.

I've used single Sun Blaster fixtures with high power lizard lamps for flower to reasonable effect. Depending on the canopy you have to cover, that may be fine. It does make for a frosty finish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom