Led Types And Selection

• Thread starter Snakeskins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Snakeskins

Snakeskins

I'm looking for a cool-burning grow light for under $150.00 and I'm stuck between a 6pc. 1800w cob led panel that shines full spectrum white light(300 actual watts), or a bestva 1000w panel (180 actual watts).

Well the question is, does full spectrum lighting measure up to red and blue light spectrum lighting for growing pot? Are there other cool burning lights I should consider as viable alternatives?

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

All LEDs will be pretty cool compared to HIDs. As to whether that light's "full spectrum" is good, we can't tell you without, a) knowing what light it is so we can look at the light chart, and b) the vendor being reliable enough to post an honest chart.

I grew some excellent weed recently with a couple of blurples I got from Amazon. Those were HiGro brand. Too much red, and the plants stretched like crazy, but the result was excellent quality, indeed, some of the best I've ever grown or smoked. That's a brand that works. Mars gets decent reviews, Vipar gets good reviews.

Calling a 300 actual watt 1800 watts smells bad to me, is the only thing. Thats even more exaggeration than normal.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
All LEDs will be pretty cool compared to HIDs. As to whether that light's "full spectrum" is good, we can't tell you without, a) knowing what light it is so we can look at the light chart, and b) the vendor being reliable enough to post an honest chart.

I grew some excellent weed recently with a couple of blurples I got from Amazon. Those were HiGro brand. Too much red, and the plants stretched like crazy, but the result was excellent quality, indeed, some of the best I've ever grown or smoked. That's a brand that works. Mars gets decent reviews, Vipar gets good reviews.

Calling a 300 actual watt 1800 watts smells bad to me, is the only thing. Thats even more exaggeration than normal.

That seems to be the pattern lately. Inflate the wattage numbers so newbies buy them thinking they are better. True watts from the wall is what’s most important.

While burples certainly do have their place imo they are more entry level lighting. I have three vispars and while they do a good job they are still inefficient at doing it. Meaning they produce excess heat that is wasted energy and the spectrum isn’t quite optimal. However imo they stack up to older technology and stuff we used decades ago.

But the latest technology such as quantum boards and even cob lighting perform better and are more efficient at doing it. The startup cost is a little higher but they pay for themselves very quickly and then the energy savings add up quickly so it is well worth it.

The cost of entry is higher but imo you get a better spectrum, more even distribution of lighting, less heat and less wasted energy. The single highest cost will be your energy bill after making a purchase and the wrong light can cost you many times the price of a better unit in just the first year alone.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

I calculated the cost of watt hours I would use in a 48 day veg cycle with a 300w light and all the fans running constantly. $39.33 XD. The cost of the cob panel is a little over 100 and considering it would use 300 actual watts, it is well in my price range.

Here's my current grow with a 300w blurple panel (120 actual watts). The flowers are tiny compared to all of my other grows where I used this same light.

20190304 012742
Last edited:
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I calculated the cost of watt hours I would use in a 48 day veg cycle with a 300w light and all the fans running constantly. $39.33 XD. The cost of the cob panel is a little over 100 and considering it would use 300 actual watts, it is well in my price range.

Here's my current grow with a 300w blurple panel (120 actual watts). The flowers are tiny compared to all of my other grows where I used this same light.

Looking good bro!

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

I’ve tried to do some digging, and this is what I gather so far, anyone feel free to correct me if you think or found otherwise. LEDs are made and rated with a max output. You can go and purchase a 10W LED, string 100 of them together and then you can say it’s a 1000W fixture. But that does not mean that all the LEDs are pumping to max potential. For whatevever reasons, I imagine longevity would be one, efficiency another, but that is not what’s running through them and that’s why they have actual power consumption listed.

I think without a doubt, LED tech is going to be the way to go. Give it a bit of time if we aren’t already there. Take a 2000W Fullspectrum LED (400W actual) and put it up against a 400W HPS and I’d bet it would outperform hands down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom