LED vs HPS & OG vs OG

• Thread starter Shamus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shamus

Shamus

so this is a comparison of LED vs HPS all the way down to the smoke report and maybe canna test if i get the time

6 plants under each tray

half of which are Hells Angel OG and the other half being a secret OG

fed the same nutrients, put in at the same time

HPS = 1K watts

LED = 725 (put a shitty 125 watt on the end dont think it did much)

umm yeah thats pretty much the jist, on with pics.. results coming soon
these picks were at about week 4 or 5 i think, didnt really document this very well

HPS
Haggard special 008

Haggard special 013

SIDE PROFILE

Haggard special 022

Haggard special 012

LED

Haggard special 010

Haggard special 015

SIDE PROFILE

Haggard special 016

Haggard special 018

Haggard special 002

update to come

Last edited:
Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

so this is a comparison of LED vs HPS all the way down to the smoke report and maybe canna test if i get the time

6 plants under each tray

half of which are Hells Angel OG and the other half being a secret OG

fed the same nutrients, put in at the same time

HPS = 1K watts

LED = 725 (put a shitty 125 watt on the end dont think it did much)

umm yeah thats pretty much the jist, on with pics.. results coming soon
these picks were at about week 4 or 5 i think, didnt really document this very well

HPS
View attachment 401676
View attachment 401677

SIDE PROFILE

View attachment 401678
View attachment 401679

LED

View attachment 401680
View attachment 401681
SIDE PROFILE

View attachment 401682
View attachment 401683

View attachment 401684

update to come

whats up shamus?? funny you posted this, im about to embark ona led/hps grow myself. nothing jiggy or balla as yours no. one mars 2 400w and a 600w horty. gonna run the hps vert for two hours at end of cycle in bloom . i have been reading mixing spectrums (hps/led/cmh). wanted to know your take on leds and the advancement or not on these. pumped to try less energy thats for sure.. good looking plants brother.
tmb
respect

tags420

tags420

Looks goo bro.
So are those 4x4 or 4x8 trays??

I have a side by side 1k hps vs 685w led. We will have to compare end results. I am at day 53. I will get my own thread now if there is going to be some activity in this section.

zhuminous

zhuminous

no divider though eh?
still interesting nonetheless - thanks for logging this experiment

Shamus

Shamus

Damn, this is going to be a sick ass thread! Thank you for sharing your observations with us! +BACON!

Respect.

i wouldnt get your hopes up. haha. i kinda dropped the ball documenting this grow

VERY interested. Always love side by sides.

well, i put in the time, spent the money, and youll see the results below

whats up shamus?? funny you posted this, im about to embark ona led/hps grow myself. nothing jiggy or balla as yours no. one mars 2 400w and a 600w horty. gonna run the hps vert for two hours at end of cycle in bloom . i have been reading mixing spectrums (hps/led/cmh). wanted to know your take on leds and the advancement or not on these. pumped to try less energy thats for sure.. good looking plants brother.
tmb
respect

IMO, id do the HPS first and the LED to finish them off. weeks 3-7 (on a 9 weeker) would undoubtedly benefit more from a HPS than LED, id do LED first 2.5, then after week 7. and HPS inbetween.
i had serious faith in this brand, i do think they are one of the leaders in the industry.. ill finish this in the summary at the end.

Looks goo bro.
So are those 4x4 or 4x8 trays??

I have a side by side 1k hps vs 685w led. We will have to compare end results. I am at day 53. I will get my own thread now if there is going to be some activity in this section.

thanks man. they are 3.5 x 7 feet

how did you end up doing on this? what brand are you using? there needs to be more honest side by sides online. with folks who have no vested interest in the company itself

LED VS HPS ,We can learn something from that thread .

i looked thru that thread before, love me a side by side

no divider though eh?
still interesting nonetheless - thanks for logging this experiment

lol no.. no divider

SUMMARY

~ LED's are for hobbyists/personal smoke growers (dont care about yields) or for folks in non-friendly states who are worried about electricity consumption, do they work? yes, will you make more money in the long run VS. a 1K HPS? maybe, if the LED actually lasts 10 years, and even then, your just spending less to get less, with a high initial upfront cost.

~ as soon as i got everything weighed, i literally brought the LED back and its now for sale. it was literally almost HALF of the weight of the HPS, which is super fuckin rediculous, cuz, that was a bad ass canopy (LED) and the HPS canopy was lacking

~quality is better with LED, more frost, more flavor, a bit stronger

~terpene ranges changed from spectrum's. same clone, smells almost completely different then its fellow buds via diff light

FINAL RESULTS

LED - 12 oz's n change
HPS - 23 oz's n change

please ask me any questions, ik people who have ran 20K watts worth of these lights. big or small i may be able to help.

ill be back with smoke reports and pics

tags420

tags420

I used apache tech and am still trimming my final bit. Before this last trim the led was 20g behind. Both lights(1000hortilx and at600LED) pulled over 750g of pre-final trim weight. No matter what it comes out I know my led held up to it's end of the bargain...it matched my 1000hps. But it is also the top of the line led with thee best everything. Cost a pretty penny. But it does do what it's supposed to.

LED (apache at600)
IMG 0649

1000HPS(hortilux/raptor/solis tek)
IMG 0660

All the same blue dream cut at 56days.

Sorry to hear about your experience...but at least you had the balls to take the leap. LED's can beat hps...you just need a truly good led. That is the hard part to get.

Camdawg

Camdawg

Were both tables on exact same nutes? Somewhere around here I was reading different lights cause different nute uptake, pretty sure the epap users were talking about it. Did the led plants maybe need some nute tweaking? Just tossing around ideas here.

Mad Mike

Mad Mike

Never had much success flowering under LEDs. watt for watt, they just dont stand up to HPS. Apparently though theres some revolutionary LEDs about to hit the market. The problem until now has been as LED power increases, efficiency decreases, and more energy is lost as heat. Sounds like thats all about to change. The era of redundant HIDs is upon us..

just.blaze

just.blaze

Really surprised theres that big of a difference between yields. I've always been skeptical of LEDs only because it seems to be a technology that has not yet been perfected. There's no doubt they are the future of indoor growing but until they start producing consistently better results, I'll stick with a combination of MH/HPS.

O

organicka

whats the news on Leds today ? what led night was used in this test ? I'm thinking about trying these new solar storm led or the kind k5 ? its that or buy a bunch of gravitas or epapillons

Shamus

Shamus

My bad folks this was a lush.

I sold about 30k worth of them so I've seen them in just about every environment

Shamus

Shamus

I only adjusted a couple things. like cal/mag and others

Were both tables on exact same nutes? Somewhere around here I was reading different lights cause different nute uptake, pretty sure the epap users were talking about it. Did the led plants maybe need some nute tweaking? Just tossing around ideas here.

Top Bottom