So I get a free light measure app from the play store it measures lux
Vipar tens at 13000 lux
Metzi runs at 13300 lux
On bloom setting
Metzi 17000 vipar 24000
In case ant one was intrested lol

H

heisen

That's weak as fawk.i use the same meter and get more lux under t5s than that.13000 is good to keep a plant alive but at least 24000 to grow one good and 35000 for flower.
Under my cmh bulbs I get 65000

DGP

DGP

I have 2 led lights in a 150cm by 120cm by 180cm
1 vipar 450w
1 metzi 480w
Both around the same price and both have bloom switches
So I get a free light measure app from the play store it measures lux
Vipar tens at 13000 lux
Metzi runs at 13300 lux
On bloom setting
Metzi 17000 vipar 24000
In case ant one was intrested lol

How many watts do the lights draw from the wall?

I have a 320 watt veg fixture that does 30000 easily at 18"

Some thing doesn't sound right.

Dee

Gavg

Gavg

At 26 inch 200w draw each according to the manufacturer how ever it is just a play store app

H

heisen

At 26 inch 200w draw each according to the manufacturer how ever it is just a play store app
Yeah but were comparing the same numbers from the same apps.
Manufacture prob says 200 watt equivalent so its prob drawing 100 watts

Gavg

Gavg

Screenshot 20180502 201413 Google Play Store
Screenshot 20180502 201413 Google Play Store

Gavg

Gavg

This 1 with a galaxy s8 I shall measure at 16 inch tomorrow lol after cleaning lenses and see results

H

hawkman

how were do get that ans Cost ? Thanks - " Gavg" go to mobile Lux meter? just got an android - how is the accuracy ? and also comaped to other meters sold on were ever? )amason, grow shops, ect) alsowho makes a good magifier that clips on the android?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I thought you couldn’t get a proper reading from leds with luxmeters especially if they are not white light emmiting leds, lux is a measurement in the spectrum of what human eye can see you can’t compare that with what a plant needs is what i read and it makes sense to me.

You need a PAR meter to calculate the effectiveness of your leds but they are very expensive.

DGP

DGP

I thought you couldn’t get a proper reading from leds with luxmeters especially if they are not white light emmiting leds, lux is a measurement in the spectrum of what human eye can see you can’t compare that with what a plant needs is what i read and it makes sense to me.

You need a PAR meter to calculate the effectiveness of your leds but they are very expensive.

Lux and lumen readings are fine for relative intensity measurements but for more precise measurements you need a good PAR meter which there is pretty much no such thing as a "good" one. They always seem to have issues.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Lux and lumen readings are fine for relative intensity measurements but for more precise measurements you need a good PAR meter which there is pretty much no such thing as a "good" one. They always seem to have issues.

They are not good for leds they don’t respond to the same spectrum as the plant needs, sunlight is mostly green and lightmeters are mostly for photography and they are calibrated to sunlight or various lighting equipments but not grow lights. They will not give a correct reading in my experience, it is impossible for 2x24 w t5s to give higher light intensity than a 300 w led but it gives almost the same lux value.

DGP

DGP

They are not good for leds they don’t respond to the same spectrum as the plant needs, sunlight is mostly green and lightmeters are mostly for photography and they are calibrated to sunlight or various lighting equipments but not grow lights. They will not give a correct reading in my experience, it is impossible for 2x24 w t5s to give higher light intensity than a 300 w led but it gives almost the same lux value.

That is because it is not a true 300 w out of the wall lamp. That is because the Chinese blurple lighting industry lies on their specifications in a big way. I saw a blurple light specified as a 1200w light that drew 250 watts from the wall. There are two classes of LED systems: 1. Real COBs from name brand vendors, Quantum boards with name brand well specified LEDs or manufactured fixtures that use the quality COBs or Quantums and then 2. Chinese blurple crap that is often re-branded and said to be made in America. The two aren't even comparable. Also been a lighting engineer for years and for "relative" intensity measurements (of a given color temperature) a lux or lumens meter is fine. So comparing a 3500K t5 system to a 3500K LED is fine for a relative comparison at a given distance not an absolute value. The minor differences in frequency are not enough to worry about except if your concerned about proper light quality then you wouldn't use blurple or pink LED's as the sun never shines that color. Also, it has been shown that green light is a very important enabler for certain plant processes that are not directly related to photosynthesis.

Dee

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
That is because it is not a true 300 w out of the wall lamp. That is because the Chinese blurple lighting industry lies on their specifications in a big way. I saw a blurple light specified as a 1200w light that drew 250 watts from the wall. There are two classes of LED systems: 1. Real COBs from name brand vendors, Quantum boards with name brand well specified LEDs or manufactured fixtures that use the quality COBs or Quantums and then 2. Chinese blurple crap that is often re-branded and said to be made in America. The two aren't even comparable. Also been a lighting engineer for years and for "relative" intensity measurements (of a given color temperature) a lux or lumens meter is fine. So comparing a 3500K t5 system to a 3500K LED is fine for a relative comparison at a given distance not an absolute value. The minor differences in frequency are not enough to worry about except if your concerned about proper light quality then you wouldn't use blurple or pink LED's as the sun never shines that color. Also, it has been shown that green light is a very important enabler for certain plant processes that are not directly related to photosynthesis.

Dee

That example was my own experience and i know it draws 320 from the wall cause i measured it, it is a commercial fixture from a horticultural lighting company that does research and development too and it grows very nice plants.
I am not going to go in to a debate over blurples or white lights i am just saying if you have a blue and red led then lux meters will give faulty readings.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
That example was my own experience and i know it draws 320 from the wall cause i measured it, it is a commercial fixture from a horticultural lighting company that does research and development too and it grows very nice plants.
I am not going to go in to a debate over blurples or white lights i am just saying if you have a blue and red led then lux meters will give faulty readings.

By the way not to mislead, i don’t really remember if it was 2 or 4 t5s but even then it only makes 96 watts of t5s and it is impossible for that setup to reach the same intensity of light from a 320 w led fixture let alone the same par value as t5s emit way more green than any led fixture.

H

heisen

Were talking very miniscule differences but the LUX meter can get you in a close enough range.I have a mars Hydro i was given to and it reads over 40,000 and pulls 300 watts from the wall.
If that guy is getting readings of 13,000 I highly doubt a true PAR meter will triple his readings.Its probably pretty close.
I can use mine to compare intensity's when I'm setting up my scrogs.I know how much LUX it takes to make my plants jump.Anything i hit over 40k they are in heaven,but will still grow OK with anything over 20,000.Which is what i pull under an 8 bulb T5.Ive been doing this long enough to know that the readings on the LUX meter are pretty damn close and accurate enough to know how High i can put my lights.

H

heisen

By the way not to mislead, i don’t really remember if it was 2 or 4 t5s but even then it only makes 96 watts of t5s and it is impossible for that setup to reach the same intensity of light from a 320 w led fixture let alone the same par value as t5s emit way more green than any led fixture.
Those blurple LED manufactures lie out the ass about there lights.They label them like Mars does there 900 but it really isnt even close to 1000W HPS.For what that mars puls from the wall or any other blurple fixture a set of QB;s or COBS will knock its DICK off.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
This is a chart i found now, lumens and lux are what you are measuring with lightmeter it doesn’t cover the peak points of photosynthesis which leds are based on delivering. If the leds are red and blue and ir and uv you are not really taking those specific nms into account when you are reading lumen or lux.

62E9812E E26F 42EE B317 A3017C622F24
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Those blurple LED manufactures lie out the ass about there lights.They label them like Mars does there 900 but it really isnt even close to 1000W HPS.For what that mars puls from the wall or any other blurple fixture a set of QB;s or COBS will knock its DICK off.

Again i am not debating over that i don’t have enough experience with all those technologies i am talking about the difference between par and lux readings you would get from a red and blue led fixture and t5s. T5 or t8 could give you the same reading as the led light in measurement of lux but the par value is so much less with t5s because the light spectrum doesn’t correspond with the peak of photosynthetic activity.

Gavg

Gavg

Lol didn't mean to start an argument it was just a bit of fun my girls are growing fine with my leds but it is the first time I have used leds

Top Bottom