Lighting And Room Design!

• Thread starter Lukeypoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Lukeypoo

So I'm currently ordering materials for my new grow room. Ive had to move outside due to space issues :L which isn't ideal but it is what it is right?
Soo I've brought myself a 6x10 shed..
The plan is to wrap the outside of the shed in that tinfoil bubble wrap stuff it acts as a vapour barrier and also keeps heat in/out. Once the sheds been wrapped I'm going to go round it with 25mm batons every 300mm and between them have 25mm cellotex. This will then be boarded over.
Inside, there's currently 25mm struts every 300mm (as to hold the shed up) my plan is to fill these gaps with rockwool or similar insulation and then boarded with 12.5mm plasterboard.
It currently has a slanted roof, again the plan with this is to make a flat roof, then have a pitched and tiled roof ontop of the flat. This will be a dead space and part of the passive intake. <any reason not to do this?Hopefully making the roof appear the same temperature as outside.

My rear garden is just patio slabs, so my plan is to lift a line of these from the shed to the house. Run my power cable and a hose pipe, and also some 4" ducting for the exhaust fan <not sure wether to bother with ducting as I intend on running cobs

I'm not sure how to set the room up, ideally I want a flower and veg room (was originally going to do two 3x3 cabinets next to each other) and then a cabinet for clones/mothers. When I thought about it though, if I did two 3x3 cabinets next to each other I wouldn't be able to access the plants at the back of the flower room should I need to check them (going to be scrogging)
So now I'm thinking two cabinets on opposite walls (10ft length sides) these will be two 2x5 Cabinets and a clone/mother cab next to one of them. I'll ad some crude pictures in a second to further explain what I mean ;L

LIGHTING
Then about the lighting.. Been researching cobs now for a couple of months, but still don't really understand them fully knowing to find/source all the parts Id need has been a ball ache...(The trouble is choice I think) Ive stumbled upon rapid leds and looked at their diy kits (quite like the fact they've collated with growmou5 I'd much rather go over kill then not have enough light. The kits I'm looking at are for a 4x4 area one option is using cree3590s and the other option is Bridglux vero29s
The cxb3590 kit comes in at 909 dollars and the vero29 at 749 dollars.. Im aware that cxb3590 is better hence price, but I'm thinking of going for the vero29 then adding a they're far red kit,
Lighting and room design
Lighting and room design
so working out almost the same price.. What would you do and why? Can I source a 12 cob light in parts much cheaper then that, still using mw drivers and cree or Bridglux cobs?
Sorry for the essay
Cheers Lukeypoo

H

hawkman

nice set up ! have you considered your electrical expenses ? maybe T-5; cfl; ect might work just a good in clone,and even veg room - use the cob,ect in flower room - hey!!!! your set-up is killer

L

Lukeypoo

Cheers Hawkman! Yeah sorry I should have stated I only intend to run cobs in the flower room as of right now.
Im undecided what to use in veg, it's a throw up between t5 and cfl.
Again I'd happily hear advice on this, say you we're vegging in a 2x5, would you opt for 3/4 4ft t5 or 5 250w cfl (1 every foot)

L

Lukeypoo

@sixstring I don't think it's because it cost more it's better, it's from the fairly limited research, most current cob users tend to opt for cree (from what I've read) I was on the understanding that the vero29 was older tech compared to the cxb's. But again I think from what I've read the veros or more efficient?
Would you bother with the far red kit?
Cheers bro

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Id spray foam the entire interior if the shed (all walls, ceiling, and doors, not the floor, use a sealant for that). For the exterior I'd use some kind of all.weather sealant. Something like flex seal. Top to bottom.

L

Lukeypoo

@DemonTrich can you link me to what you mean? I've seen videos of a company that come to site and sprat and leave but don't want to have to answer any questions /: if it's something I can do myself I'm all ears though!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I did my rim joists at my grow last yr. You can do it yourself. Check out home depot, spray foam. Make sure you get the correct foam. 1 in case you get a knock from city inspector (or do this after it gets inspected), 2 for fire, mold, mildew resistant types.

L

Lukeypoo

Forgot to mention in my previous reply, the shed as it currently stands will have all internal joins caulked, then inside and out varnished. It's already been painted in shed/fence sealant.
Ive had a look but pretty stumped as I'm in UK. Ive found something I think to be similar and it's only ÂŁ7.00 a can, i'll get one and see what the coverage is like. Otherwise it all seems like two part solutions and I haven't got a suitable gun to apply it. The rockwool I intended to use for the internal insulation is fire and mould resistant I believe. As is the cellotex/Kingspan for the exterior
We don't have inspectors for structures this small, it's essentially a store brought garden shed and hopefully that's all it will appear to anyone else. The only thing to worry about is the final height of the shed. If it's within 2 meters of the property boundary (which it is) it has to be below 8ft

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Find a local foam spray guy. He don' care wtf you need it for. He/she just want to get paid for a job. Min 3"

brazel

brazel

Cree is popular!
I have Cree, Vero and Citizens plus a closet full of various shitty leds.
I haven't done a straight up comparison and took down notes, numbers and stuff but I'm leaning to the citizens as to what ones I would buy again

L

Lukeypoo

@DemonTrich d'you mean 3inch minimum insulation?

@brazel can you elaborate a little on why? They're somewhat cheaper then the others which kinda put me off if I'm honest.. But that's completely based on my contradictory opinion I basically don't want to have to buy more then once kinda thing

brazel

brazel

Cree 4000, Vero 4000, Citizen 3000

Like I said I haven't done a comparison test.
All of them produce amazing herb.
To be honest I really didn't notice any difference in the herb between the 4000 and the 3000k.
But I grew at separate times, if I grew at the same time in 2 separate tents and I looked at both of the final product side by side I might notice a difference.

Typically I roll with 4000 but I wanted to check out the 3000.

All that being said price is why I'd buy citizen again. And that's as of now since I don't have a long term test with the citizens but I really don't see this changing
Cheers

The Dawg

The Dawg

The Only Reason To Buy Cree Cobs Is That If You Wipe Your Azz With 100 Dollar Bills ;)

A Little Tid Bit Of Information The Cree CXB 3590 Has 144 Dies The Citizen 1212 Has 144 Dies. The Pics Below Is My Japaneses Mango Plant Grown With The Citizen 1812 :party1:

IMG 6496

H

hawkman

Cheers Hawkman! Yeah sorry I should have stated I only intend to run cobs in the flower room as of right now.
Im undecided what to use in veg, it's a throw up between t5 and cfl.
Again I'd happily hear advice on this, say you we're vegging in a 2x5, would you opt for 3/4 4ft t5 or 5 250w cfl (1 every foot)
you can get 500 watt cfl's that only take 100 watts of they are self-ballast use them for many years and got fantastic results (1,000 bulbs.com) but now I've gone to LED's (2 300 watt LED's for the space you mentioned. I don't know I like LED's but still like cfl's and HPS's . but have to move away for new stuff. Have a Blue Dreams which is 6 feet tall . Cob's are good lights was looking at Kind LED's but got galaxyhydro's - if I like led's will up-grade to better led's PEACE Great looking set-up If you had it to do over again what name LED's would you use ?

L

Lukeypoo

@hawkman I didnt realise you could get cfls that big. Ive used a 250w veg bulb and 300w dual spec bulbs in previous grows. I cant knock them really, but definitely had better results myself with two 315w cmd's I found my old 2ft t5 veg panel that I'll probably hook up in the clones cab, just run one bulb in it.

brazel

brazel

The Only Reason To Buy Cree Cobs Is That If You Wipe Your Azz With 100 Dollar Bills ;)

A Little Tid Bit Of Information The Cree CXB 3590 Has 144 Dies The Citizen 1212 Has 144 Dies. The Pics Below Is My Japaneses Mango Plant Grown With The Citizen 1812 :party1:

View attachment 760177
My cotton candy mango looks a lot different than yours! I'm gonna buy the Japanese ones next!
20171126 102956

P

PharmHand

@DemonTrich d'you mean 3inch minimum insulation?

@brazel can you elaborate a little on why? They're somewhat cheaper then the others which kinda put me off if I'm honest.. But that's completely based on my contradictory opinion I basically don't want to have to buy more then once kinda thing
3" closed cell spray foam will get you roughly r-19.5 @ r-6.5 per inch. Closed cell doubles as a vapor barrier hence is used mainly on exterior walls. Open cell is cheaper/has lower r value and then you need a vapor barrier as well. Spray foams way overpriced IMO. I did my house crawl space cost me 4gs for 3inch of closed cell. I did my whole 1000sqft shop with roxul rockwool r22 walls r52 attic for just over 3GS. Spray foam off gasses isocyanates too which are horrible for people and plants

Latest posts

Top Bottom