Lowering Coco Ph

• Thread starter MW7945
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MW7945

MW7945

Alright, I'm going nuts here. On my first grow, everything is going fairly decent up until recently. I never tested my runoff pH until the other day (first day of flowering to be exact). Came out at 7.1... No bueno.

Leaves started to taco right when I flipped to 12/12 and a few leaves on one plant have a few little spots on them from the pH being so high. Nothing terrible. Doesn't seem to be spreading -- or at least too bad.

I did a florakleen flush and fed with 5.5 pH nutes to try to lower it, got them both down to 6.5-6.6 runoff.

Today I water with another 5.5 pH nutes... runoff comes out at 6.9 for both.

Dafuq can I do to get that shit down?

Polar510

Polar510

Alright, I'm going nuts here. On my first grow, everything is going fairly decent up until recently. I never tested my runoff pH until the other day (first day of flowering to be exact). Came out at 7.1... No bueno.

Leaves started to taco right when I flipped to 12/12 and a few leaves on one plant have a few little spots on them from the pH being so high. Nothing terrible. Doesn't seem to be spreading -- or at least too bad.

I did a florakleen flush and fed with 5.5 pH nutes to try to lower it, got them both down to 6.5-6.6 runoff.

Keep running 5.5 through it until you get 6.0.
Next feed Let the Nutes sit for a while after You adjust the PH, and make sure it holds there. Even 10-15 minutes will give You a better idea of what the Nutes will do (drop/or raise) after You feed Your plants with it.
Also It might have been a good idea to correct that issue before flipping them IMO..Good luck Bro!

MW7945

MW7945

It's too late, they've already been flipped. Today is day 3, and the problems really only popped up after the first 12 hours of no light. I was running 24/7 prior to that

Polar510

Polar510

It's too late, they've already been flipped. Today is day 3, and the problems really only popped up after the first 12 hours of no light. I was running 24/7 prior to that
Yeah I know you said that. I was just giving
Gotcha!
Ride it out and get the PH correct and you should see improvements.

MW7945

MW7945

Odd thing is the plants are still growing like crazy. Other than the small blemishes on a few leaves it doesn't seem to bother it a ton, but I know it can lead to problems down the road

Polar510

Polar510

Yeah My 1st run in Coco was a disaster, I'm suprised I finished it. My ph was way to low using 1 of those PH color match strips.
The plants however didnt seemed to mind that much and they were living off the Hot Coco which I didnt rinse, you know real nube shit lol.

MW7945

MW7945

I've been adding excess Hydroguard with feedings and it went from 7.2 to 6.3 for now. Hopefully have it back to 5.8 within the next day or two

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil

Testing runoff in coco is pointless unless you have a bad problem and need to correct an issue. It's something about the way coco holds on to and releases fertilizer that makes testing the runoff inaccurate.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I try to get my feed water close to 6 as I can until late flower and then lower it closer to 5.8.

guymandude

guymandude

i wouldn't be using that again then. Canna Coco and Sanctuary Coco are two fo the best you can get. I would suggest you make the switch.

um, syas right here that this Mother Earth" natural coco" is buffered, which means it has buffers added to it (doesn't sound all that natural to me) to keep the ph at 6.3-6.8. So apparently it's supposed to be treated like soil? sounds fishy.....
http://www.mother-earthproducts.com/shop/product/mother-earth-coco-100-natural

or did you get the charged coco which has added nutrients and stuff? either way, you didn't read the package. not tryint to be a dick. just be sure you read the package of the new shit you buy. I tried Grow stones because i loved the idea of taking all the glass from a landfill and repurposing it for growing. I had all kinds of ph issues. When i called the company, they said they added a ph buffer (calcium carbonate) which was completely messing up my hydro buckets. rat bastards.

Polar510

Polar510

Whatever Coco brand You use should be rinsed really good before use until the runoff is at or close to the PH You want.
The whole idea is to completely rinse the coco of everything to create a ph stable media with close to nothing in it except the Nutrients of Your choice.
Approached any other way IMO is asking for Nutrient burn. That will happen because some coco if not rinsed(really good) already sits at or near 300-400 ppm then add tap water minerals, calmag and whatever base nutes and boom easily you can get a ppm that will most likely Burn the Hell out of Your Girls.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Whatever Coco brand You use should be rinsed really good before use until the runoff is at or close to the PH You want.
The whole idea is to completely rinse the coco of everything to create a ph stable media with close to nothing in it except the Nutrients of Your choice.
Approached any other way IMO is asking for Nutrient burn. That will happen because some coco if not rinsed(really good) already sits at or near 300-400 ppm then add tap water minerals, calmag and whatever base nutes and boom easily you can get a ppm that will most likely Burn the Hell out of Your Girls.
I just pour 5 or 6 jugs of water on it and plant stuff in it, the first good watering flushes out the gunk for me...

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

Testing runoff in coco is pointless unless you have a bad problem and need to correct an issue. It's something about the way coco holds on to and releases fertilizer that makes testing the runoff inaccurate.
dr is for sure on point here with coco u have to do slush test to get the ph the pph of coco

Polar510

Polar510

Usually I run water through it until the ph and ppm matches closely to the water Im running through it, that could take 1 gallon or 5 depending on which brand of coco you have.
I have used Pro Mix, GH and now Im using Black Gold.( From My Experience )Pro Mix was the hottest out of the bag.

guymandude

guymandude

yes but why spend the money on a product where you have to waste your RO filters doing this? Canna and Sanctuary are clean - no need to rinse. GH, Botanicare and others are full of salts that need to be rinsed. Apparently Mother Earth puts a bunch of stuff in their coco, which may be great in a different application, and i bet you'll have a hell of a time rinsing all that extra ph buffer from Mother Earth Coco.

Polar510

Polar510

Thats cool maybe I will give canna a try someday. I used to use RO water but dont anymore.

MW7945

MW7945

Tbh I didn't even flush the coco. There was no point, the runoff came out at 15 ppm. I know it was buffered to 6.8, but it getting as high as it did was my fault. Rookie mistake never testing runoff or anything. Seems to be staying where I want it now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom