Lumen shock myth

• Thread starter Jalisco Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jalisco Kid

I have a friend who takes over 10 days to light up his room 100% due to the poor health of his plants while they are being introduced to his flower room. I took a Bubba of his that he says is real sensitive, ran it less then 18" from a 1000w hps no problems. I have 3 GM 5000's in my veg room. I had 6 4'x4' plants in each tank that grew into each other. Branches were 3/16" thick they could not hold themselves up. Put them into my flower room each surrounded by 3 1000 MH and 1 1000w HPS. No wilt, no color fade, and they took off growing the following day. Difference between him and I (besides my massive skills) is I foliar feed.
I thought I would start this thread so people with this problem can learn without exposing their lack of understanding. Some people are just to afraid to show their warts,me I just want to learn and could give a crap what other think. JK

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

I have a friend who takes over 10 days to light up his room 100% due to the poor health of his plants while they are being introduced to his flower room. I took a Bubba of his that he says is real sensitive, ran it less then 18" from a 1000w hps no problems. I have 3 GM 5000's in my veg room. I had 6 4'x4' plants in each tank that grew into each other. Branches were 3/16" thick they could not hold themselves up. Put them into my flower room each surrounded by 3 1000 MH and 1 1000w HPS. No wilt, no color fade, and they took off growing the following day. Difference between him and I (besides my massive skills) is I foliar feed.
I thought I would start this thread so people with this problem can learn without exposing their lack of understanding. Some people are just to afraid to show their warts,me I just want to learn and could give a crap what other think. JK

cool experiment. What do you recommend as a good foliar for clone transplant? I usually use some GH micro and some thrive alive b1 green

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Well yes I suppose a myth in that lumens mean nothing for plants.

However a massive increase in par, especially onto a young cut, will increase co2 fixing rapidly increasing nute uptake.

Now if you do not provide for this rapid increase then problems and stress can occur. Hence why your direct action of foliar feeding keeps the ladies nice and healthy.

T

TreFarmer

ONLY DIFFERENCE BESIDES YOUR MASSIVE SKILL... love it JK!!

Foliar Recipe?

TREFARMER

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
^^^ I second that. What are you using as a foliar?

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Foliars still scare me. I guess I don't trust my knowledge enough. I used some b52 2ml/liter foliar last run when I switched to 1k flower it did seem to work well.

I'll be lurking this thread for sure.

N

Ne Obliviscaris

However a massive increase in par, especially onto a young cut, will increase co2 fixing rapidly increasing nute uptake.

Although I agree that too MUCH light be an issue is for young cuts that dont have good root structure yet, is this really an issue for a plant thats been vegged for a while? I dunno what 'a while' is, but lets say 5 weeks just for arguments sake, do you think that a healthy plant at that level of maturity can get lumen shock (photon shock i guess would be more accurate since you brought up the lumen/par issue)?

Also, since a lot of foliar treatments leave residue that amplifies light, shouldnt they exacerbate light shock rather than mediate it?

EDIT: JK, how late into flower do you foliar feed?

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

Lumen shock might not be the best terminology to use as mentioned it has little to do with it. It is not a myth though and there really can be too much light/heat for the plant to take no matter the age or should I say it would or can affect any plant both young and old.

The better the environment conditions, the more the plant can handle or tolerate.

S

So_CaL_Sativa

I recommend full-humix by bio ag for foliar feeding young plants. It helps them build tolerance to things that could otherwise cause stress.

dankworth

dankworth

Just put handwatered transplants totally vegged to 18"+ in coco/hydrotron with only LEDS
in the main room
with 7x 1kw ...also low RH......they did not even blink.

lumen shock=something other than lumen shock

my guess is over heated roots/stalk drown=lumen shock

Yeah dude, I have seen where some transplanted bare-rooted ebb & flow in clay pellet action needed some babying, you could see by watching the whole thing go down that the plant was too hot, hydroton does not insulate. You could see how the total root mass strongly governed ability to successfully transition by watching those that took off right away vs others.

I have not done foliar action for some time. I really should get back to it. It shortens veg time. I just used 1/4 str veg food, with the tea and everything, and enzymes, but no drip clean . And then there is the other wacky foliar stuff, I don't know about using that anymore(liquid light, etc.)
I have read that fulvic acid would be a good addition to foliar food.

Does anybody know optimal ph for absorption through the leaves like that?
And any solid ideas on rinsing leaves off w/ro water every so often?

Thanks for sharing that insight JK. We can get a lot of progress from that small bit of information.

Got to get that $100 fogger. I bet that works when you want. Spraybottles are good when your hands work.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Ive had this issue alot and have to run the lights up hi and turned down and slowly up the light and hope i dont get it. When i do it seems to be related to fert issues that happen soon after. Once the plants go into flower stressed out, it dont go good.
First thing is I got lazy about keeping t5s as close as possible, and I also stopped foliar feeding. I was going to try and get 1000w hps in veg so i can get them use to it first. Im going to atleast get my t5s as close as i can, and go back to spraying the plants weekly.
Whats a good foliar spray? Ive used magic green in the past.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Does anybody know optimal ph for absorption through the leaves like that?

Is that a trivia question? Think I read our op saying 6.2-6.4 somewhere?

My veg room is too dry right now so I foliar with either ph'd water or very light nutes about every hour while working, wish I had misters on a timer, might get some. The plants love it, especially while aggressively pruning/training. Oh, and I recklessly do it with the lights on.. (shield the bulbs)

J

Jalisco Kid

I used to use products from other companies now I use my own mixes. But you could get haifa chemical's foliar feed mixes, I still use their aminos(have a company sending me their aminos which are very similar without that agri smell)A product by growth products is worth buying I believe it was called revive rx maybe restore rx. Now I just use what they put in the bottle. Cal 25 I still use,along with grow more's higher % kelp product. Nutritech in Aust has some killer foliar products I use somethings they use to fix N on the leaves,I also use harpin with the kelp.
I have seen anyone pop a bulb from foliar spray, but always wear glasses when you are in the room. And No you can not burn a plant from having droplets on a leaf. I foliar up to week 6.

I put the massive in there to tease a friend,as everyone that knows me knows I am a hack grower that specializes in premature death. JK

T

TreFarmer

Thanks for the foliar info JK!! Is that spelt "jack" grower en Español...
Take care buddy.
TreFarmer

J

Jalisco Kid

I almost forgot one of the more important foliars I do and that is K silicate. I used to buy grow more's silo-tec, now I make my own. prevents PM

dankworth

dankworth

I almost forgot one of the more important foliars I do and that is K silicate. I used to buy grow more's silo-tec, now I make my own. prevents PM

When you do this, do you use the only the K silicate in that spray? To coat the leaves with a high ph surface? I am guessing if you sprayed many foliar solutions independently of one another in like a weekly cycle you would want to end the cycle with the silicate to extend the total time of protection afforded by the silicate.

Venture lighting has these 775 watt naturalwhite(?) lamps that certainly seem to duplicate the spectrum of the horti daylight mh lamps(but no spike in the green). Except they have I think a 24,000 hour lifespan. The verts get 66,000 lumens, 10% more than the horizontal lamps 60k, compared to the 1k horti's fast-fading 80k when new. I found them trying to find a horti daylight blue mh substitute, because they are so expensive and they have such a short lifespan. Prices start at $105 per from Venture.
These lamps may be useful in some situations. I intend to use them between plants lit by overhead hps. In this situation I would not want full 1k mhs between plants because I would have to space the plants too far apart to make effective use of overhead hps.
I will feel silly paying for 1k dimmable ballasts dimmed to 750 watts if they do not work out.

J

Jalisco Kid

I use the silicate only 5x during the whole cycle by itself. I take it to pH 8.5 and only mist the top of the leaves. I might add some to a foliar if I am dealing with stress at other times. JK

420bliss

420bliss

i have noticed some seedlings drooping when i switched from an old 1k MH to a new 1k HPS, after i noticed i waited a day or two and they were still drooping so i switched the bulbs and they poped back up, only the seedlings drooped none of the clones. just my 2cents

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I've got 2 600s (1mh and 1hps) in a growzilla in a 4x4 tent. As long as I keep it cool and humid, the plants do fine.

outwest

Latest posts

Top Bottom