M.S.T. and Company's BHO Thread

• Thread starter M.S.T.
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M.S.T.

M.S.T.

Hey all you oil lover's out there. I posted some pics in someone else' thread. Some peeps liked, so thought I would start my own thread to share my oil experience!
Huffed my first oil through a papertowel tube from oil dripped on a burning charcoal in either 98' or 99' while camping and working at Mountain Air Festival, Calavaras County Fairgrounds, CA.. Les Claypool opened w/ first ever appearence of frog briggade(hence the mark twain story) if you know your CA. history. Phil Lesh and friends headlined. Good Times. Since then I have been on the quest to produce this wonderful "honey oil" as it was called.
In the begining there were a few botched attempts of recovery and blowouts with PVC and Coffee filters. In this thread I will share my method, tools, opinion and inspiration! By no means am I an expert or Know everything about BHO. All are welcome to post your shit as well(stories,methods,tools,opinions).
Before I start with the tools, let me give credit to Onisdad, a fellow farmer and good bro for all his trial and error. I watched him perfect his method for years before even attempting my own. He has been a pioneer of extractions, from butter to bubble to BHO, I have seen him perfect every one. Also want to give credit to all the farmers posting in the oil thresds. Read them all and learned a ton as well as incorporating many ideas . Thanks

Tools
I use a big pyrex bowl rather than a pie tray over a stainless steel bowl w/ hot water in it(waterbath style). I find there are no corners to scrape and when matched with certain razor blade is perfect. I find metal dental tools and cut bicycle spokes to work perfect for stirring and dispensing. This style razorblade flexes to take shape of bowl.
My extraction aparatus is a 2" in diameter x 12" length stainless steel pipe w/ tight fitting plastic cap(off spraypaint can) with hole for butane can and several stacked metal mesh screens and a hose clamp at filter end. I use metal mesh rather than coffe filter. I find it is safer, creates less backpressure and butane runs off it smmooother. If your material is super fine coffee filter def. works. Everything can be cleaned and reused. Cost me about $15.Can't forget the tamper for packing nice consistent tubes(bamboo stick w/ some E tape wad at end. Last pic is another unit $10 from lowes. A brass sink drain w/ threaded fitting and a PVC cap that fit snug, metal screen in threaded end.
Mst and companys bho thread
Mst and companys bho thread 2
Mst and companys bho thread 3
Mst and companys bho thread 4
Mst and companys bho thread 5
Mst and companys bho thread 6
Mst and companys bho thread 7
Mst and companys bho thread 8
Mst and companys bho thread 9
Mst and companys bho thread 10

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

Some determining factors I consider are what kind of material is available, how fast you need it, how much you need. I produce from scraps and trim and what is around mostly for myself and some friends. I am not in a hurry so I prefer a milder heat and long sit and stir purge and cure. Maybe preserves some turpines? Def looks better IMO.
I use about 1 can of butane per 1 ounce of trim and I usually yield about 1 gram of oil. My tube holds about 3 oz. of material and I run 2-3 cans, depending. The run used in this example was 3 cans of tane, 3 oz. trim and 5 grams of kief. It yielde 4 grams of very nice oil. I have used all the butanes and now use the cheap stuff. IMO if their is a difference it isn't worth the price.
I crunch my material up pretty good but not quite ground, mix in kief(optional) and fill tube about a paperplate funnell full at a time and then evenly but not super tightly pack it. You are looking for nice packed but airflow consistent tube full( like dry hit a real nice doob). Cap it and blow it into pyrex bowl, over water bath. Change water in bath several times throughout purge. My tap water will burn you but if yours won't, you may want to heat or boil some.
At first when still a bit o'tane left I roll it around bowl trying not to let it settle on sides. This is also the time to remove any plant material that may have fallen in. Try to trap it high on bowl wall and wipe it away w/ finger. Once solvent is mostly evaporated and within the bottom portion of bowl(off walls) I then go to stirring it. After each stir bubbles come back, I stir again. I do this till no more bubbles come back and I can put a lighter to some on a tool and it melts instead of sparkling or instantly flaming. I then scrape it with razor and put it in tin. If some bubbles still come back I place it on lamp shade by cfl for 15 min at a time and stir. As it sits air will still pock on top, keep stirring. It just keeps getting better. I do this at room temp. Eventually that stops too.

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

Went to the High Times SF Med Cup this last weekend. Sat down to listen to the BHO/Dab panel/discussion.
Thought I would add my new changed opinions and some photos of my last batch. I will now use a finer quality butane and would love a good vac purge when I can afford one.
Always remember Safety First. Open air ventilation outside!/Never around Open Flame!

Have a Safety Plan, pay attention and be cautious!
DSCN2793
DSCN2794
DSCN2795
DSCN2806
2012 05 29 19 42 24 459
2012 05 29 21 43 46 512
DSCN2807

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Latest posts

Top Bottom