Mag Def?

• Thread starter Greenshark
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Greenshark

picture's of a few of my plants are below. The leaves have started to lighten up. More so as it spreads out from the veins ( hard to explain ) they also have purple stems but this may be the strain? (Lime OG I think)

Coco

23 litre rizzo's

Lowered the lights a few days ago. About 2.5 feet.

Nothing else has changed. I'm using pretty hard water so there may be an abundance of calcium which in return locks out mag iirc?

I'm religious with the PH so that's always bang on 5.8. Temps are always between 26-27 in the room ( split air con unit :)) but sometimes drop to 23-24 on rare occasions. Currently on 24 hour lighting due to circumstances but this will be changed in the next few days. I transplanted them from cuttings to 1 litre pots for 7 days then on to the 23's so they have essentially been vegging for two weeks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mag def
Mag def 2
Mag def 3
Mag def 4
Mag def 5
Mag def 6
Mag def 7
SantaLebbos

SantaLebbos

Hello,
Questions:
What type and wattage of light you using.

From the first look i can say 2 things:
take the light back up to 3 or 4 feet away.
second increase your feed in the next watering by 25%.
are you adding Cal/Mg bec you are using Coco?

dan1989

dan1989

Ignore any other advice given so far, your plant is likely stressed through the irregular watering/feeding would be my guess. Until you've got that dialled in, schedule set, you're feeling in the dark. Coco is not easy. Your objective is to water daily by watering and feeding in smaller regular amounts to keep the medium continually and consistently moist and charged with nutes. I could get into cation exchange and etc but frankly there are so many threads on coco cation exchange we don't need any more resources on that topic, the search bar is there. Basically feed with every watering and I personally start low on PPM and work up to the sweet spot but you can always do the opposite. I just imagine it's easier to add more nutes than leach off excess.

dan1989

dan1989

And if you don't already have one get an EC meter and understand how and why you are using it. It's easy when you know how and you really need one with coco especially if you have hard water, you'll always be playing a guessing game and chasing your ass. My whole game changed when I got my EC meter, I couldn't grow without one now.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
picture's of a few of my plants are below. The leaves have started to lighten up. More so as it spreads out from the veins ( hard to explain ) they also have purple stems but this may be the strain? (Lime OG I think)

Coco

23 litre rizzo's

Lowered the lights a few days ago. About 2.5 feet.

Nothing else has changed. I'm using pretty hard water so there may be an abundance of calcium which in return locks out mag iirc?

I'm religious with the PH so that's always bang on 5.8. Temps are always between 26-27 in the room ( split air con unit :)) but sometimes drop to 23-24 on rare occasions. Currently on 24 hour lighting due to circumstances but this will be changed in the next few days. I transplanted them from cuttings to 1 litre pots for 7 days then on to the 23's so they have essentially been vegging for two weeks.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Run some water through a plant an ph the runoff.

dan1989

dan1989

It will probably be sky high if it's had loads of dry cycles. It instantly became easier when I started watering daily like I'd been told to all along. I've had plants look just like this before and always been good after a flush and immediate re feed. Ime

dan1989

dan1989

I don't even water to run off anymore can't see the point if I'm keeping it constantly moist

Edit: that's what dialling in is all about, I know that at this current stage of the grow each plant needs roughly 2 litres per day to keep moist throughout. 2.5L will produce runoff.

G

Greenshark

Hello,
Questions:
What type and wattage of light you using.

From the first look i can say 2 things:
take the light back up to 3 or 4 feet away.
second increase your feed in the next watering by 25%.
are you adding Cal/Mg bec you are using Coco?

I'm using 600w hps. Currently 3000w over 20 and in flower there will 6000w.

You think I need to higher my lights? They're currently 2.5 feet away which for a 600w is till too far away I think?

They're already on 1.75ml per litre of plagron a+b so I doubt they will need more feed.

I'm not supplementing with cal/mag as I'm using pretty hard tap water so I'm guessing there will already be an abundance of those minerals.

Thanks for the reply mate, much appreciated.

G

Greenshark

That coco looks dry as hell in one pic, that won't be doing you any favours. Always keep it moist. Rule number one in coco.

The pot that was dry in the pic had been watered to 20 percent run off 3 days prior. She has only been in her big pot for 3 days and I always let the pot dry up a bit after the first ever feed so the roots chase. Is this wrong to do? I never let them dry up like that after this. Only on the first feed.

I have an EC pen on the way. It should be here today fingers crossed. So you think it's a ph issue then? I was thinking there is a bit of leaf bleaching going on as well but like I said, the lights are 2.5 feet away. Ill get some more photos on later in normal light and I'll try and get some better ones. Really appreciate the reply and fingers crossed I can get my girls loving life again. They have had a rough start!

G

Greenshark

I don't even water to run off anymore can't see the point if I'm keeping it constantly moist

Edit: that's what dialling in is all about, I know that at this current stage of the grow each plant needs roughly 2 litres per day to keep moist throughout. 2.5L will produce runoff.
Another thing that is bothering me is the fact that every new node that is appearing is closed if you know what I mean. The nodes are all closed shut on every plant. Too much radiant heat?

dan1989

dan1989

Well I use 600w HPS, how close you can get it depends on if your light is air cooled or not. I've got mine about 12 inches away currently and its fine. I've never used unshielded HPS so my only amateur suggestion would be to use the back of the hand trick; put your hand level with your canopy under the light, if you can keep it there for a minute or whatever and your hand doesn't get warmer you should be good. That won't prevent light bleaching however, that's where finding the sweet spot becomes trickier. But given a day, it shouldn't do too much damage and you will easily see come the end of the days light cycle if the plants are happy or not. My 2 pennies

SantaLebbos

SantaLebbos

I'm using 600w hps. Currently 3000w over 20 and in flower there will 6000w.

You think I need to higher my lights? They're currently 2.5 feet away which for a 600w is till too far away I think?

They're already on 1.75ml per litre of plagron a+b so I doubt they will need more feed.

I'm not supplementing with cal/mag as I'm using pretty hard tap water so I'm guessing there will already be an abundance of those minerals.

Thanks for the reply mate, much appreciated.
well, yes the lights need to be further away look at the leaves how their edges are slightly raised upwards. i know you read on the internet and all brands to keep them 2 ft away. well, they lie/ i am telling you from experience i used to keep them a feet away my 400 watts. now i start at 4 feet away and they never looked healthier. i start at 4 feet in vegging and when they are small. and lower down to 2.5 by end of flower.

raise them up not because i said so, because the plant is telling you to :)

second, you are growing in coco you should never let the medium dry. thats in soil.
check your tap water's ppm when u get the meter.

G

Greenshark

Well I use 600w HPS, how close you can get it depends on if your light is air cooled or not. I've got mine about 12 inches away currently and its fine. I've never used unshielded HPS so my only amateur suggestion would be to use the back of the hand trick; put your hand level with your canopy under the light, if you can keep it there for a minute or whatever and your hand doesn't get warmer you should be good. That won't prevent light bleaching however, that's where finding the sweet spot becomes trickier. But given a day, it shouldn't do too much damage and you will easily see come the end of the days light cycle if the plants are happy or not. My 2 pennies
So you think the issue is due to light level then? I'll raise the lights a foot later on and I'll go from there. Cheers buddy

dan1989

dan1989

So you think the issue is due to light level then? I'll raise the lights a foot later on and I'll go from there. Cheers buddy

Nope, me and me personally would get your watering schedule on lock before you start trying to change everything. Make one change at a time. If you change everything and it works then great, but you'll never know what was causing the problem

G

Greenshark

well, yes the lights need to be further away look at the leaves how their edges are slightly raised upwards. i know you read on the internet and all brands to keep them 2 ft away. well, they lie/ i am telling you from experience i used to keep them a feet away my 400 watts. now i start at 4 feet away and they never looked healthier. i start at 4 feet in vegging and when they are small. and lower down to 2.5 by end of flower.

second, you are growing in coco you should never let the medium dry. thats in soil.
I will higher the lights later. All my previous grows I've had the lighting in this position but I understand that certain straines differentiate from others.

I completely understand the concept of coco coir. The only time I let it get dry ( only the top few inches ) is when I first pot them after a heavy feed. It was just my logic in thinking the roots will start hunting to the edges in hunt for food, especially after using mykos. Next time, I'll try your way.

I'll measure the ppm tomorrow and I'll post it on.

Thanks for the reply

G

Greenshark

Root mass on the last one. Spread out evenly in all directions. Probably nothing to do with drying the pots out after their first big pot feed but It's always in my head now :)

IMG 1300
dan1989

dan1989

It's Hydro dude the roots should have all the oxygen they need, no need to encourage them to root with dry cycles :) In fact every time you water the coco you're pushing oxygen down through the media on the count of its porosity.

G

Greenshark

It's Hydro dude the roots should have all the oxygen they need, no need to encourage them to root with dry cycles :) In fact every time you water the coco you're pushing oxygen down through the media on the count of its porosity.
Noted mate thank you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom