Marginal Gold

• Thread starter The Jewels
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The Jewels

The Jewels

Help !?

I have been breezing thru week four of flower.
First time grower . Up until now I have enjoyed all kinds of beginners luck .

Saw something to complain about - here it is,,,
Marginal gold

Marginal gold 2

I honestly dont think it is nute burn.
Only apparent on one plant of four.
I did notice it was getting dry a few days ago, I didnt make time to mix up a batch of the 400ppm solution that I have been concocting.
Last two days just a splash of RO water (Thurs night and Fri. night) Saturday night I see this .

Possibly got too dry ? Humidity too low for temp ?
Apologies for the crappy pix,,,
Any thoughts ?

Dan789

Dan789

Help !?

I have been breezing thru week four of flower.
First time grower . Up until now I have enjoyed all kinds of beginners luck .

Saw something to complain about - here it is,,,
View attachment 858304
View attachment 858305
I honestly dont think it is nute burn.
Only apparent on one plant of four.
I did notice it was getting dry a few days ago, I didnt make time to mix up a batch of the 400ppm solution that I have been concocting.
Last two days just a splash of RO water (Thurs night and Fri. night) Saturday night I see this .

Possibly got too dry ? Humidity too low for temp ?
Apologies for the crappy pix,,,
Any thoughts ?
Need more info:
You’re mentioning 400ppm, is this soil or some dwc/hydro/coco mix?
Presenting as some deficiencies but hard to pinpoint what (myself).
Give the community some more idea of what your doing so someone can offer up some better help.

The Jewels

The Jewels

Yes, fair enough,
Thank you for your reply.

Airy, soil mix , 5gallon bucket
19C night, 24C day
65 rh night, drops to 24rh by lights out .
1000W hps
5X5' floor

Future harvest 3 part
Flipped. 36 hours dark Jan 27th
Week4 - dosing 40% ish every watering, from 0ppm RO source
Yields ~ 400ppm (hanna KCI )
6.5 ph

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Its not getting nutrients I think, but I'm not sure if its underfeeding or locked out. That looks like k and N def. But your RH of 24% is dangerously low. You want to keep it 40-50% lights on in flower until the last week, then you can drop down to 30-40.

Are you testing runoff ppm? I'm also thinking if you're watering every day that's too much for an 5 gallon bucket, unless your plants are huge. Should be every few days.

The Jewels

The Jewels

I don't water every day, but when I do, the water is fert'd every time.
I am a believer in the dry out cycle.

Outside the growroom is low rh AND low temp.
Lately I have been running electric forced air space heaters in flower and veg room .

I hump bottles into the cellar,,,
I struggle to raise rh , hurts me back - hurts me pockect book .
Running my wimpy humidifier during the day does not even raise the needle .Running it all night/lights off gets a little steamy . Perhaps I should put it on a timer @ night , and continue to babysit, as I have no way of automating humidification demand or even logging it at this point .

I have never measured runoff.
Talking about the constituents of the by product right ?
Not the volume?
I would need to measure an RO slurry of my medium, and then observe perch'd runoff in order to observe the before and after ?

I shall read up on it.

I have grown 2 batches of all males ( fml ;) ) in this soil . Seems like good stuff . First two rounds using Jiffy-gro brand hydrosafe granulated fertilizer . I never went above half dose and because my tap is so hard I could barely dissolve it anyhow- most of the grains came out with the last dregs, displaying their uselessness atop the soil .

This round I hit 4 / 4 females from seed . After discovering this, I wanted to ratchet up my game and see just what I could pull off .
On the S. Sask. tap my water is pushing 300ppm . Mostly Cal and Mag , but still ; not knowing the implications I felt kinda lost.
I got splurgy ( to impress the ladies,,,) and bought a starter pack of liquid nutes and eventually started to mix with RO .
Results have been fantastic. I did mix one batch a little hot around week three of veg,,,so I know what that looks like.

This hit kinda fast, on random locations. Some are up high, whilst some affected are much lower, recieving half the level of light .
All seem to be on the dinky leaves below the budset. Not sure wassup .

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Test your runoff ppm. Just water it with plain water until it comes out the bottom and test that. I'm guessing you're locked out if you're feeding every watering.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Should I ph down it - 'lil bit first ?

No, just use plain Reverse osmosis water with no ph adjustment. Soak the pot until you see a tiny bit of runoff. Wait 10 min then pour another cup or two in there and then collect that runoff and test its ppm. I'll bet it's quite high.

The Jewels

The Jewels

20190224 233558
Here is what I got .
In the top @ 0 pmm
Out the bottom @ 385 ppm

In the top @ 6.7 ph
Out the bottom @ 7.5 ph

,,, Dont know what that implies ,,,

That plant got 2.5 L of water yesterday .
I just put 2L in the top over 7 mins .
Had 1L out the bottom.

Perhaps my mix is just that airy ?
Plant drying out too fast ?
20190224 233431

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Those burnt edges are textbook potassium deficiency. Given your runoff ppm and ph I'd say you're ph locked out.

What exactly is this "airy soil mix" you're using? What is it composed of?

What I would do is first calibrate all your instruments just to be safe. Then flush the plants thoroughly with 2-3 times the container volume of a 300ppm balanced nutrient solution slightly high in potassium and nitrogen, ph'd to 6.0, and temp adjusted to 72-73F.

I'm not exactly sure why your ph is so high, but it needs to come down to below 6.5 in the media. For soil/peat based mixes 6.0-6.4 is about ideal. And with that low RH keep ppm going in to about 500 ppm every other watering, or once every three waterings, and give fresh water in between. Your plants are going to suck up more water when the humidity is low like that, so you need to use less nutrients in the feed solution compared to a plant in a higher humidity environment given the same temperature.

Last edited:
The Jewels

The Jewels

I knew I would be running with cold feet , so when I made up my soil I tried to go heavy on drainage .

Over the summer I broke down a 4 foot aquarium and then dried and mineralized the diy soil mix I had been using underwater for 10 years. It was comprised of turface, pumice gravel, zeolite, fossilized peat, sphagnum, clay shale , and worm casting. Was really nice stuff. Was designed to lower ph, posses high CEC and not contribute to water hardening . Had nice viens of iron deposits when I scooped it out .
For the cannabis pilot , I mixed in the other usual suspects including, potting soil, worm bin harvest, and top soil. I was looking for drainage so I added hydroton and coco coir to the final mix at 15-20%
I pin cushion the bottom and also drill the sides of the round bucket .
I drop a layer of hydroton in the bottom of the bucket and then a bed of coco , finish by filling with the prepared mix .
Yeah, so to avoid going to the store , I basically took a little bit of everything out of the cupboard, mixed it together, and called it supper .

I am not versed in the terminology or theory behind soiless mixes .This stuff would sit around 20% earthy earth dirt .
I assumed if it was hot I would have seen probs before now .
In hindsight I had been drenching it with 270 tap plus fertilizer for a month or two .~~ not sure if there is any relationship there .
If the dirt was short I assumed the liquid nutes would get me all I needed .

Perhaps something exists in abnormal excess?

Phylex

Phylex

When I first started I was watering with a PH of 6.5-6.7. I continually fought issues during that time. I switched to a religious watering/feed PH of 6.2 and haven't looked back.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
the original drenchings of 270ppm tap water could have loaded the soil up with calcium carbonate. THAT would do it..

Plus with that soil mix, you should hardly need to feed much at all. Your feed rate is suitable for a plant growing in peat with zero nutrients mixed in the soil.

Even though you got some ppm in the runoff I'm guessing there is lot of nutrients bound to the soil also since it likely has a super high CEC.

Either way, youve gotta flush and get that ph down, as well as get some of the excess nutrients out of the soil.. But be mindful that even though it's necessary, Your plant isnt going to like it, neither will any microbes in the soil..
And next run, maybe consider using a media and nutrient combo that has proven results and go from there.

Top Bottom