Mini Split Condensate Line; Issues With Freezing In Winter?

• Thread starter Elevator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Elevator

Elevator

Hi all,
I'm in Colorado and I currently have my condensate collecting in a reservoir in my grow and I reuse the reclaim water in my main nutrient reservoir. I'd like to start just dumping the condensate outside like a normal minisplit to avoid having to dump leftover reclaim water and avoid the extra humidity of an open water source.

Here's my question: If I run the condensate line outside, hanging straight down gravity fed waste, will it freeze my condensate line? Who has experience with running a mini split in winter?

Thanks!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Water freezes at 32*f. I'd suggest using some type of water line heating element like mobile home .owners
Use on their water pipes.

What about letting it drain into a drain on the floor if you have one. Or sump pump spot.

G gnome

G gnome

Hi all,
I'm in Colorado and I currently have my condensate collecting in a reservoir in my grow and I reuse the reclaim water in my main nutrient reservoir. I'd like to start just dumping the condensate outside like a normal minisplit to avoid having to dump leftover reclaim water and avoid the extra humidity of an open water source.

Here's my question: If I run the condensate line outside, hanging straight down gravity fed waste, will it freeze my condensate line? Who has experience with running a mini split in winter?

Thanks!

Id keep usin that condensate. .....just relocate the rez if possible. Or at least put a lid on it

Elevator

Elevator

Id keep usin that condensate. .....just relocate the rez if possible. Or at least put a lid on it

So the reason I want to get rid of the rez, mainly, is to free up floor space and avoid an extra chore of dumping most of it. I can't move it because it's gravity fed waste line.

Elevator

Elevator

Water freezes at 32*f. I'd suggest using some type of water line heating element like mobile home .owners
Use on their water pipes.

Thanks but that isnt practical for me. My grow is on the top floor of a townhome, so a drain or sump pump aren't appropriate. A heated water line might make sense but I'm not sure if that'll add heat to the room, and it'll probably look strange sticking out of the side of the townhome.

My main question is if other people have had an issue with the water freezing. I'm hoping that with a short enough line, it'll maintain warmth from the grow.

What about letting it drain into a drain on the floor if you have one. Or sump pump spot.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Once liquid water hits 32* or under, it's science, it's gonna freeze no matter what as soon as it hits the freezing air. Unless you dispose of it indoors, or use a heating wrap. The wrap shouldn't raise any indoor temps by 0.5*f if that. It's a simple copper wire hooked up to a controller if sorts.

G gnome

G gnome

Once liquid water hits 32* or under, it's science, it's gonna freeze no matter what as soon as it hits the freezing air. Unless you dispose of it indoors, or use a heating wrap. The wrap shouldn't raise any indoor temps by 0.5*f if that. It's a simple copper wire hooked up to a controller if sorts.
Actually, no. It doesn't freeze as soon as it hits the freezing air it freezes when water temps drops to 32

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

The drip line will look like a frozen waterfall after a day or 2. Then The water freeze will build up at the exit point of the house where the drip tube is. This will create a "damn" effect, not allowing any water to drip out normally. This creating even more issues.

Top Bottom