Mix

• Thread starter BiggDee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Why? Whats wrong w gettiin a lil fancy?
Because when guys get fancy they depart from norms that we can help them with. People try to mix seventeen things together and wonder why their plants look like shit.

Get fancy after you have some experience under your belt, is my advice. Happy frog works.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

And ffof doesnt?
Of course it does, but it's hotter, and IMO, riskier. Mix the two, and I repeat, a newbie is stumbling into ground that makes it harder to be consistently successful.

People try to get too fancy growing a weed.

Ar.BsG

Ar.BsG

I can't remember the water I use but I buy it from a dollar store it's ph is 6.3 I'll look at the brand when I get home .

Ar.BsG

Ar.BsG

I have grown fond of the sk#1 but I have only grew a handful of strains so ig I'm not the best for strain advice . I have ben growing hardy strains like northern lights, and lemon skunk . I also liked the lemon skunk , but I don't think the high was as good as sk#1.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

How did you find what works for you?
I have a life strategy of starting simple and adding complexity only as it adds value. In my growing, I use less additives than most people, and still manage to grow good weed. I have learned that getting light, water and pH right are the basics. Soil/substrate/growing technology(hydro vs soil vs coco) are only relevant in how the support the goals of getting water and nutrients to the plant. Then any major nute line will work. I think it makes sense to stay with one manufacturer and follow their instructions( though I always use less than the recommended strength). I use Botanicare nutes, but would be perfectly successful with a lot of other lines. Nitrogen is nitrogen.

On the soil, I prefer Happy Frog precisely because it doesn't have a lot of nutrients in it. It's pH is reasonable, and it has excellent drainage. I see a lot of posts on Facecrack of guys who start with FFoF wondering why their plants are burned, so I steer newbies away from it.

As to your goal of not having to do too much, by using a bland soil, I fertilize about every third watering, which requires 3 min of mixing. I do very little else. I don't pH my water, I add no additives. I don't defoliate, I don't train, I don't prune. If you're spending a lot of time, you may be engaged in what I consider to be low value activities. But those are just my opinions from 40 years of growing.

Here is what a couple of my low maintenance plants are looking like. YMMV

IMG 20180707 201320
IMG 20180707 201335
H

hawkman

Try starting a plant in happy frog and transplanting into a container with half and half . Half ffof at the bottom of the pot and happy frog on the top layer . IMO bc happy frog won't burn your seedlings but ffof has more nutes for your plant when it gets bigger .
the ratio of: bottom 1/4 (Ocean Blend) - fill 1/2 Happy Frog - then last top off with 1/4 use Ocean Blend --- this way you have the "mychrroiza" in the middle for better root development

BiggDee

BiggDee

I have a life strategy of starting simple and adding complexity only as it adds value. In my growing, I use less additives than most people, and still manage to grow good weed. I have learned that getting light, water and pH right are the basics. Soil/substrate/growing technology(hydro vs soil vs coco) are only relevant in how the support the goals of getting water and nutrients to the plant. Then any major nute line will work. I think it makes sense to stay with one manufacturer and follow their instructions( though I always use less than the recommended strength). I use Botanicare nutes, but would be perfectly successful with a lot of other lines. Nitrogen is nitrogen.

On the soil, I prefer Happy Frog precisely because it doesn't have a lot of nutrients in it. It's pH is reasonable, and it has excellent drainage. I see a lot of posts on Facecrack of guys who start with FFoF wondering why their plants are burned, so I steer newbies away from it.

As to your goal of not having to do too much, by using a bland soil, I fertilize about every third watering, which requires 3 min of mixing. I do very little else. I don't pH my water, I add no additives. I don't defoliate, I don't train, I don't prune. If you're spending a lot of time, you may be engaged in what I consider to be low value activities. But those are just my opinions from 40 years of growing.

Here is what a couple of my low maintenance plants are looking like. YMMV
That's Kool n all but you growing outside I'm indoors you have natural light, oxygen...I see a lot of plants do well outside..I'm in DC if I put an empty pot outside its gone....so I'm just asking questions cus you have ppl that may have done it so asking to see if something will work or not is ok.....I test Dwc going to test coco coir....

Top Bottom