Moonshine Mix question

• Thread starter redog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redog

I want to make a batch of "Moonshine Mix" as mentioned here:

First question is what product from Black Gold is used?

Koopa Troopa mentions that in the updated recipe, "perlite, dolomite lime, and POM is the same", yet there is no mention of dolomite lime in the original post of the recipe.So does it get added or not?
Any help with answering these questions would be appreciated.

R

redog

Found some answers

Found this at:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=23970

mysta177 03-08-2006, 08:19 AM

This is the recipe for the soil mixture I have been using for quite a few years now."Moonshine's Mix" requires only plain waterings throughout the life of the plant with only three transplants.I have made one or two changes to the mix over the last year and now its quite idiot proof and by the end of flowering you will share the same feelings I do.. Foxfarm rules!
My main issues with most liquid fertilizer diets is the large swing in Ph that can occur or as with most growers , adding the wrong fertilizer or too much can ruin you crop or really mess up the flavor.
List of products to buy; then actual base ingredients of the entire mix.

1 bag of Foxfarm Ocean Forest potting soil .cost 17-25$. - 1.5 cu/ft
1 bag of Foxfarm Batguano/earthworm castings planting mix - cost - 15-20$ - 1 cu /ft
1 bag of Light Warrior High Yield ultra premium blend cost 15-20$ - 1 cu/ft
8-10 qt's of Perlite.
When using the FF chunky I use half the bag in this mix.
1 cup of Fox farm "Peace of Mind" fruit and flower fertilizer 5-8-4.
43-45 gallons of soil total.Which will fill nine or ten 4 gallon buckets or seven or eight 5 gallon buckets.It is quite a bit of substrate.
I have also tried this mix in a "Soma" style dirt bed but honestly it works best in regular buckets.
The reason you don't need any additional fertilizers is simple, you just created one of THE richest soils available anywhere.
The three different bags of planting mixtures that were used were created to be used independently with the liquid fertilizers but combining all three creates a sort of super soil that doesn't need any additional supplements.

Ingredients in the soils are:

Composted Forest Humus x2
Sphagnum peat moss x3
Earthworm castings x3
Pacific Northwest seagoin fish crab meal
Shrimp meal
Vermicultural compost (bedding material and livestock manure) x2
Sandy loam x2
Perilite x2
Fossilized bat guano x2
Granite dustx3
Norwegian Kelp meal x2
Dolomite lime and oyster shell for Ph x3
Humic acid from leonardite and Mycorrhizal innoculents.
Then the additional cup of "peace of mind" adds feather meal, hydrolyzed fish, fish bone meal, sulfate of potash, magnesia, alfalfa meal, blood meal, bat guano, rock phosphate, kelp meal. and gypsum.
Plus 12 species of Mycorrhizae and 6 species of beneficial bacteria.

Water Ph should be started at 6.7 and dropped to 6.5 by the end of flowering.Wet/dry cycles are vital to the success with this soil mixture.If kept too wet the plants will be stunted so allow at least 4-7 days between waterings.Bucket size and plant size will determine how many days between waterings.Let plants droop(not wilt) slightly with the buckets being very light.
To make sure you have non-stop growth and development, transplants are key.
I have a simple schedule I go by.
I take my rooted clones and plant them in 1/2 gallon containers which they remain for 2 weeks.
Then they are transplanted into 2 gallon containers for an additional 2-3 weeks.At this time they are ready to flower and I can choose to transplant into a 4 or 5 gallon container depending on the strains food or root growth needs.
Or if its a 90+ Sativa strain I may even plant into a 10 gallon garbage can that has been drilled full of holes.
Simple.Kinda of expensive but Worth every penny.I've used a dozen other soils and mixes of my own but this 3 bag mix is amazing.

Found this too:

http://www.invalid.com/indoor-growing/258909-my-ultimate-soil-grow-using-3.html

11 25 2009

Well pretty much this soil is a super soil ,as they say.. IT is so rich in nutes that people have been known to just add water and get good buds...still people add stuff, like myself I use hygrozyme and liquid karma.. I will soon be using blackstrap mollasses and might add some tiger bloom or big bloom for floweing additive.. someone swears that the regular perlite just gets compressed... however using this big and chunky perlite...

And I mean chunks! this stuff is chunky and big.! it rreally helps aerate the soil... I used quite a bit to help fluff out the soil.

Here is some info I provided to help you out, save you on doing research on fox farms soil

Ocean Forest® is a powerhouse blend of premium earthworm castings, bat guano, and Pacific Northwest sea-going fish and crab meal. Composted forest humus, sandy loam, and sphagnum peat moss give Ocean Forest® its light, aerated texture. Start with Ocean Forest® and watch your plants come alive!

Fox farm planting mix: It’s got everything you need to get your garden off to a good start: earthworm castings, bat guano, Norwegian kelp meal, composted forest humus, sphagnum peat moss, and more. We carefully adjust the pH to make sure that your plants can take up the nutrients they need. Our special mix also helps hold moisture in the soil, which keeps plants hydrated and growing.

Light Warrior® is the ultimate grow medium for seed starting and transplanting. And it isn’t just a grow medium—we pack it with beneficial microbes to stimulate root growth and enhance fertilizer uptake, humic acid to help in seed germination, and earthworm castings to help plants thrive. Light Warrior® is the perfect fast-draining, lightweight seed germinator for your indoor jungle.

Fox Farm Chunky Perlite: Why do we call it Big & Chunky? Because we use extra-big chunks of perlite that provide the best drainage for superior root aeration. Use it in containers with our Ocean Forest® or Happy Frog® Potting Soil to improve drainage, keep roots oxygenated, and prevent plants from becoming waterlogged.

hubcap

hubcap

First question is what product from Black Gold is used?
i could be wrong, but, i think it was black gold orchid mix. but i very well could be mistaken. someone in the know will correct me if im wrong.

Koopa Troopa mentions that in the updated recipe, "perlite, dolomite lime, and POM is the same", yet there is no mention of dolomite lime in the original post of the recipe.So does it get added or not?
Any help with answering these questions would be appreciated.

some people add lime, some dont. i'm one of those that rarely, if at all, use it.
that being said, when running organic mixes, they, inevitably, become more acidic as they break down over time, so, in this instance, lime is beneficial, imo, to add to the mix.
some will swear by lime. some, like me, dont think its always a necessity.

im sure others will offer up advice when they have a spare minute.
just giving ya something to digest in the meantime.

-cap

Four2Zero

Four2Zero

Black Gold-Natural and Organic is what you are looking for. It used to be called Black Gold-All Organic. It is a little confusing since the bag has a picture of an orange colored orchid on it and they also make an orchid mix which has a picture of an purple colored orchid on the bag... I use my own version of MSM as follows:

1.5cf ocean Forest
1 cf EWC
1 cf chunky perlite
1 cf organic starter mix
1 cup ag lime

then when you do your final transplant for flowering, add the fruit and flower.. I actually measure out 3 gallons of the mix in a bucket and add 3 tblspoons of fruit and flower, mix well, so that way I know that each pot has apx 4 gallons soil mix total (counting the 1 gal they are already in) and the correct amount of fruit and flower.

Hope that is helpful.

peace,
F2Z

R

redog

Hey thanks for the replies fellas

Hubcap!I haven't seen you here in awhile.You always treated me ok when I first joined then you kind of disappeared.Anyway, thanks for the tips.Much appreciated.
Now to find this stuff. . . . . .

R

redog

Thanks MichaelFranti ?

"like to add a bit more coco then is called for"
What coco?

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
mysta 177 has coco listed in a thread on ic, i cant find the original i had pokin around here.. but i think it does fine without it... if you want to use it, it calls for 1 brick of coco added to the mix you have already....good luck

i also have a question about this mix, if i cant find the planting mix(red bag) does anyone know what is a good replacement for this? i am having a terrible time finding this... thank you

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
it was a later thread, and it seems he added more things to the original mix

JollyGreen

JollyGreen

I posted the updated version in the thread later on, and that came straight from Moonshine Man himself. He said he liked that mix a lot better and he said good water was important. His bro and him used the same mix, but his bro had good ass water from a stream or creek I believe, and his nugs were always better than msm's. I also agree on good water with this mix, bubbled tap water will get your soil locked out. Invest in a R/O filter, the best investment you will make.

H

haze20s

im actually using the moonshine mix that a buddy gave 2 mi i transplanted my 2 kushberry seeds into the soil and now there blowing upp in like a week!! i think its going awsome for now!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom