Most Efficient Method For Increasing Humidity

• Thread starter PharmHand
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PharmHand

Helping a friend design and build a new room and I'm trying to determine the best method for humidification. I've used big ultrasonics (mainland mart ones), centrifugal types (hydrofogger)and I'm aware of the steam types (aprilaire) but they all have their drawbacks. Steam uses a shit ton of power and makes heat not very efficient, the centrifugal kinds spit big drops and soak whatever's near it plus don't work well, the ultrasonics use a lot of juice to get them putting out enough humidity......
After seeing how quickly my paint sprayer can fill a room with fog I'm thinking mechanical/pressurized fog is the way to go in terms of fog per watt so to speak. Ultra fine sized droplets too.
Is there anyone out there using pressurized water misting to increase humidity? Or does anyone else have a better idea? Any advice is appreciated, thanks:D Peace
Rooms about 20x20

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I've only use ultrasonic fogger system in the past. Always great/perfect results every time. Houseofhydro.com (John), owner) great guy. Always good to talk to.

I've used their 3, 9, and 13 disc units. They do suck some juice though. But having perfect VDP and growth is well worth it.

iKharon

iKharon

Helping a friend design and build a new room and I'm trying to determine the best method for humidification. I've used big ultrasonics (mainland mart ones), centrifugal types (hydrofogger)and I'm aware of the steam types (aprilaire) but they all have their drawbacks. Steam uses a shit ton of power and makes heat not very efficient, the centrifugal kinds spit big drops and soak whatever's near it plus don't work well, the ultrasonics use a lot of juice to get them putting out enough humidity......
After seeing how quickly my paint sprayer can fill a room with fog I'm thinking mechanical/pressurized fog is the way to go in terms of fog per watt so to speak. Ultra fine sized droplets too.
Is there anyone out there using pressurized water misting to increase humidity? Or does anyone else have a better idea? Any advice is appreciated, thanks:D Peace
Rooms about 20x20
honestly, I love my humidifiers.. they are the Tao Tronics for like 75$ on amazon.. programmable hygrostst.. set it and forget it.. only downside, you gotta fill them up once a day. In the size space, if run two, sat in opposite sides of the room, and set em up to 70% and let em do their thing. Good luck with whichever route you go, but I'm having success :)

P

PharmHand

I do like the ultrasonics but when they're battling with a five ton it takes a lot of them to get the humidity up. Two of the 20mm 12disc mainland mart ones doesn't quite keep up- 3 or 4 maybe..... @DemonTrich i just checked out those house of hydro 12 disc ones
And compared them to the mainland mart oneshttp://www.mainlandmart.com/humidify.html the dk12 ones at the bottom appear to be identical in every sense according to specs 20mm 12 disc same power specs even the transformer is identical BUT the house of hydro one says it puts out double the vapor? Imma email these guys and see what they say . I'd bet it's the same unit made in the same factory in China just sounds fishy to me that it puts out double the vapor.... I do like their floating disc thing would make it easy to rig something up. I got one of the big units with a fan etc that holds up to 4- 12disc from mainland mart but only have two 12 discs in there. It's pretty expensive for what it is plus I think it might restrict the fog too much reducing output....
Still I think pressurized fog would work killer just not sure how to go about it. Farmtek has these http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...essure_fogging_systems_4;pg102323_102323.html 3/4gallon per hour basically equal to a 12 disc(mainland mart specs) would take a few plus I'd need some kind of water pressure booster pump to get it up to 100+ psi. Found some greenhouse fog mist humidifier systems but their 1k plus and in Texas I'd be paying out the ass for shipping to bc. I think I might macguyver something up with my old Hudson fogger the tank buckle is broken but the motor still runs well lol. I bet it would work for a fraction of the power. Maybe not might just soak the place :D

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I used to run mine 18hrs on with lights on w/o any issues.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

No, I've owned their 3,9,and 12 disc units. All ran 18/6 with my lights schedule.

P

PharmHand

Sweet thanks. I think the 3 would be the way to go. Any thoughts on the tuff coat?
If you're running RO water it should help a lot ultra low ppm water is very reactive/corrosive and the unit is metal so.... I've been running a 12 disc for several years no issues and I only clean it once per cycle. Your water source makes a big difference on its longevity you want cold clean water feeding it. My water is about 20-40 ppm no issues but I used 70ppm water from a different source for a week and it covered my whole room in white powdered from the dissolved calcium. No tuff coat on mine

N

Newhvis

If you're running RO water it should help a lot ultra low ppm water is very reactive/corrosive and the unit is metal so.... I've been running a 12 disc for several years no issues and I only clean it once per cycle. Your water source makes a big difference on its longevity you want cold clean water feeding it. My water is about 20-40 ppm no issues but I used 70ppm water from a different source for a week and it covered my whole room in white powdered from the dissolved calcium. No tuff coat on mine

Great info, thanks man.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I never got the coating. I would now looking back on it. John, the owner of hoh, is a stand up dude.

Cold tap, 104ppm, with 1x large air stone (24/7), 1 bottle h202 weekly. Refilling 2+ gallons daily depending on season, using a 3 disc.

4twentygreen

honestly, I love my humidifiers.. they are the Tao Tronics for like 75$ on amazon.. programmable hygrostst.. set it and forget it.. only downside, you gotta fill them up once a day. In the size space, if run two, sat in opposite sides of the room, and set em up to 70% and let em do their thing. Good luck with whichever route you go, but I'm having success :)

4twentygreen

What size room are you using the Tao on? Mine's about 350 sq ft and I just bought one, and wondering if I need to add a second? 12 lights

xavier7995

xavier7995

A one discer?
I have a one disc sized one in a 5x5 in Colorado. It barely makes it, but can keep you in the 50-75 rh range. Had it on hand, if going with one explicitly to grow I would probably get the next size up.

planesane

planesane

I do like the ultrasonics but when they're battling with a five ton it takes a lot of them to get the humidity up. Two of the 20mm 12disc mainland mart ones doesn't quite keep up- 3 or 4 maybe..... @DemonTrich i just checked out those house of hydro 12 disc ones
And compared them to the mainland mart oneshttp://www.mainlandmart.com/humidify.html the dk12 ones at the bottom appear to be identical in every sense according to specs 20mm 12 disc same power specs even the transformer is identical BUT the house of hydro one says it puts out double the vapor? Imma email these guys and see what they say . I'd bet it's the same unit made in the same factory in China just sounds fishy to me that it puts out double the vapor.... I do like their floating disc thing would make it easy to rig something up. I got one of the big units with a fan etc that holds up to 4- 12disc from mainland mart but only have two 12 discs in there. It's pretty expensive for what it is plus I think it might restrict the fog too much reducing output....
@PharmHand Did you ever determine if the foggers from house of hydro were better? I have a 5 ton with 10 1k lights and would like to know what worked for u to get 75%RH @80 F

planesane

planesane

@PharmHand Dang I just pulled the triggerr on this HOH 12 and 6 disc. As long as they last for a few runs it will be worth it. Does that model that u linked hold up well to a 5 ton?

Last edited:
Top Bottom