Moving indoor plants under 18/6 to the outdoors without triggering flowering

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Interrupted photoperiod is your friend, my friend. :) If you're in Sact'o region, you're at pretty much the same latitude as I am and you can use a similar photoperiod to what I or Blaze use.

That, and going with seedstarts, always my favorite. Usually much easier to trim come harvest as compared to clones, too.

I like the black oak because it's dappled sunlight and the spots of full sun move through the day, it really is the best place for acclimation in my spot. However, it's also easily seen from the street, so only small plants are put there.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

becoming very acquainted with thie interrupted photoperiod! its exciting to here everyones plans for this outdoor! bring on the rain everyone needs it basically, i may even volunteer for cleaning up fire fuel in the vecinity.....;)

beckteck

beckteck

WOW, tons of good info on this thread, things I'd never thought about. I've come to adopt popped beans indoors (don't have indoor accommodations for moms just yet) in Feb and given them 18 hour light cycles under my T5 until I put outside. I've been burned by not mitigating cold weather/snow and transplant shock putting them outside @ May 15 but have never seen one of my seed plants flower flip or herm due to putting them out that early. I've always just put them out under heavy tree shading for a week to adjust to the light intensity and they've done great. I'm in the upper hills East of Sacramento as a point of reference for lighting. I guess if you have the room still and are sweating it, just put them out later in May or early June and you don't need the light adjustments. Bigger is better after all... ;) Best of luck and keep us posted!

Blaze

Blaze

we have a few patios that i drag the plants under during hard rains, so we usually put our plants under there (underwear?). it stays shady all day and gives them time to adjust, BUT the last 2 years weve had probs with early flower, this year im vegging them longer indoors to make sure theres no early flower

Too much shade when they go out can make them flower. You wanted filtered light, not full shade. I have seen people do half-assed light dep grows by placing plants against a west facing wall so they get shade starting mid day. They flower, but not well so I can't say I really recommend doing this. It does, however highlight how shade can cause plants to flower.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I thought so too, until I saw an entire crop, indoors, in full swing of flower, during their 'dark' phase that was like twilight. I was colored 'blown away.'
WOW, tons of good info on this thread, things I'd never thought about. I've come to adopt popped beans indoors (don't have indoor accommodations for moms just yet) in Feb and given them 18 hour light cycles under my T5 until I put outside. I've been burned by not mitigating cold weather/snow and transplant shock putting them outside @ May 15 but have never seen one of my seed plants flower flip or herm due to putting them out that early. I've always just put them out under heavy tree shading for a week to adjust to the light intensity and they've done great. I'm in the upper hills East of Sacramento as a point of reference for lighting. I guess if you have the room still and are sweating it, just put them out later in May or early June and you don't need the light adjustments. Bigger is better after all... ;) Best of luck and keep us posted!
You may be rather close to me, then. I'm at 2500' elevation. I've been trying to find the pix of my seedlings with snow all over them (posted here however many years ago) and can't find it. But I do remember putting the pic up and this one guy felt so sorry for me! Told me I was screwed and had better get to poppin' more beans. Oh, the crop I pulled that year! All from those little 'frozen' babies.

Blaze

Blaze

Blaze that's interesting, I always thought it had to be darker to induce flowering?

Well like I said it did not work well. They will begin to flower but the but set is very, very poor. The person I saw doing the light-dep that way was one of the most incompetent and lazy growers I've ever, met but it did shed a little insight on how sensitive clones can be to light cycle. I left a few clones in a spot that got sun only half the day last year and they did they same thing.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I thought so too, until I saw an entire crop, indoors, in full swing of flower, during their 'dark' phase that was like twilight. I was colored 'blown away.'

You may be rather close to me, then. I'm at 2500' elevation. I've been trying to find the pix of my seedlings with snow all over them (posted here however many years ago) and can't find it. But I do remember putting the pic up and this one guy felt so sorry for me! Told me I was screwed and had better get to poppin' more beans. Oh, the crop I pulled that year! All from those little 'frozen' babies.

I have always loved the evening and morning twilight :)
Do they Grow weed outdoors in Alaska?o_O
not much dark there in the summer

caligirl

caligirl

Hasnt anyone just put cloned plants out early with a light to prevent flowering. I often move plants out early cuz i always clone too many, grow too big and out the grow veg room. I just put some pink lemonades, jillybeans, caseyjones, dairyqueen, sfv og and deadhead ogs out on the deck, with a few regular light bulbs on them for a few hours after sunset. Ive done this many times and usually do not flower immediately, and some of these plants are mature and ready but will hold off.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, many people have and do.

Another thing to consider here is that as time goes on many municipalities, my county included, have enacted ordinances that specifically disallow this, or have stringent requirements. There are also those who don't want that additional light attracting attention. But it's certainly a technique that works if the situation allows for it. I still preferred the interrupted photoperiod so I don't have to concern myself with trying to get lights outside.

caligirl

caligirl

i just use regular bulbs in the regular fixtures on the deck. Do u mean interrupted photperiod indoors before putting them out?

caligirl

caligirl

so if i start interrupting the light cycle for the remaining plants in my veg room, will it screw up the plants i started from seed (some of which will flower indoors, while some will go out) - is this only effective on clones?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Yes, many people have and do.

Another thing to consider here is that as time goes on many municipalities, my county included, have enacted ordinances that specifically disallow this, or have stringent requirements. There are also those who don't want that additional light attracting attention. But it's certainly a technique that works if the situation allows for it. I still preferred the interrupted photoperiod so I don't have to concern myself with trying to get lights outside.
Thats where a "porch light" is handy Sea. No laws against porch lights..
Lots of folks here in the hills where I live have big "Street lights" in there driveway and on their barns. ;)

I have some out under my porch lights for over week now and so far so good:)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
so if i start interrupting the light cycle for the remaining plants in my veg room, will it screw up the plants i started from seed (some of which will flower indoors, while some will go out) - is this only effective on clones?
You know, I've never bothered with seed starts, they've never given me a problem (outside of that one autoflower that fully budded out at a massive 3" tall). And clones are the only instance where I've had the problem of flipping into flower and veg, back and forth, when put outside from inside photoperiods. So I can't say that it would cause a problem, or wouldn't cause a problem. That was terribly helpful, wasn't it?
Thats where a "porch light" is handy Sea. No laws against porch lights..
Lots of folks here in the hills where I live have big "Street lights" in there driveway and on their barns. ;)

I have some out under my porch lights for over week now and so far so good:)
Probably where you are, but here there are, again depending on municipality and what's happening. Locally there have been a few problems with light pollution that's resulted in a less forgiving stance on exterior lighting of any sort that invades another person's 'view-shed.'

Blaze

Blaze

The interrupted light cycle can work with seeds but they do not need it unless maybe you start them super early when the light is below 12 hours. I have never had an issue with seedlings flowering when started under natural light, even when the days are only 12 hours long.

caligirl

caligirl

im refering to plants grown from seed in my veg room now that i want to put out asap because by room is over crowded. Ive got a kosher kush, kandy kush, blue og and og kush#18 that i germinated in late january so they are mature are ready anytime to flower, so i guess im asking if they will flower if put out early because they are mature enough

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
im refering to plants grown from seed in my veg room now that i want to put out asap because by room is over crowded. Ive got a kosher kush, kandy kush, blue og and og kush#18 that i germinated in late january so they are mature are ready anytime to flower, so i guess im asking if they will flower if put out early because they are mature enough
If they have been in your veg room under 18/6 (?) then, Yes, they will flower if you put them out too soon.
and then, in june they will reveg and it wont be pretty...dont do it!

Top Bottom