Need pointers with TopFeed vs Ebb-buckets in rockwool.

• Thread starter Nobodynobody
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

I been in use of hydroton with the Ebb and Gro bucket system for way long. Its great till something bad happens. My last round was bad because it had the lines clogged with clay. I try rockwool in the buckets. Had a root problem with the water at the bottem. Even used golf balls to keep the 6" cube in mid air.(roots grew right threw the bucket and down the lines.) Bad harvets too because the girls got fed once a day when light turned on. Did not know till later it should have been 2-3 floods after the fact I went back to My Ball Cleaning job. In hydroton I use to feed every 3hrs but then i cut it back to 4hrs even threw out night.

Using Tables for flood takes to much water needs. Why I love the buckets. Today a vary good friend of mine talk me into getting few small tables and to use a hand me down large table for flipping doing Top Drip. So far I was feeding 1x a day after rooted into the 6" then 2x in 2ed week, then 3x in, 3ed 4x on week 4-7weeks of veg all when light was on (18hrs). Then cut back to 2 feeds when I flipped to bloom. One is when light turns on, another 6hrs later. Should I leave it at 2x times till i clip? Also when I did cut it back to 2x it looks strange for 2 weeks about. Then started to really take off. Geuss I am use to them just being Supper perky all the time in rocks.

Going be working on a new project. Want to do 4 sites per 1000 in rockwool top drip. Should I be getting larger blocks of 8"? Watch videos on grodan site of placing a 3x3 cube on top. then using 2x drip stakes. One in 3x3 and another on the other side in the 8" part. Then water for 30 secs every 30mins to an hour???? Sounds little to much IMO that is why I am making this post. Feel like I may need a larger root mass.

Please by all means. If your some one that pulls 2lbs a lamp in rockwool Topdrip. Tell me what I need to be doing and what I may have said wrong.

Trying to cut down clean up time. Simplifying too. But may be getting a new place that has space to be having 4x/1k. The water needs is way less if any one is doing a top drip. I am thinking I need to move away from the buckets. Should I be useing 8" with a 6" on top or a 3" on top of the 8"? I have a buddy that places 3" on top of a 6".

Want to Plan before I plant. Keep farming Farmers.

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

My two cents would be to do a root zone(hard to keep roots contained), with rockwool on coco matt or surrounded by hydroton. What size are your plants started in? 1 to 2 transplants should be fine, either right into the eight inch or like a 1" start into a 3 or 4 into the 8, depending on size and veg time. Watch the rockwool in the begining to see how whet it stays. Should be always moist but not soggy, never dry. Don't water at night. Block trays, rockwool or whatever else is exposed to light to avoid algae. Can't say for sure but maybe something like 4, 2 min feedings evenly spaced during day. Used to run this system a while back with good results. Now similar, but cocomix in smart pots with no rootzone. Hope you get something from this, best of luck.

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

Maybe I misunderstood or were talkin about new project. Was wondering what size rw cube you start your cuts in? If that is your current grow, looks good. My suggestions were in case roots were coming out of cubes. Looks thick, keep good airflow through canopy, and watch for any excess moisture and keep up the good work.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

The roots are 3" long in the deep part of the tray. The root it self look strange from the cut back on water? I used extra 1" blocks to hold the cube little more stright. I used half the wattage in a smaller area before I boosted light up from Veg. Seem to see a little new fresh new root threw but not sure what to think. I starting to feel like an noobie again with to many years and rounds going...

I am ABOUT to start a new project. more of a project big bush. I Need to understand rock wool and how I can do 4x to 1k light. Right now 9 to a lamp seems to be OK. I am about to get more space and my Dr. rec only lets me have so many to grow. Why I am asking about stacking and water timing for doing such thing vary vary soon.

They just got water before i took this picture of the roots.

Still needing pointers on my New project. On planting and feeding for the size I am thinking about.

IMG 1375
IMG 1376
IMG 1377
M.S.T.

M.S.T.

Dude, I did not realize how severe your prob is. First off your roots cannot be exposed to light, they will start to make chloraphyl and turn green instead of doing their true functions. I would cover them right away with hydroton. Second, they look kinda brown, don't know if it's root rot or nute stain. Are they slimy, or do they fall apart easy? I f you have root rot, their are many flush/treatments for that, I would recommend Hydrogen peroxide or flora shield, but am not really the root rot guy.LOL Also looks like maybe algae, anything exposed to light down there will turn green. Cover tray w/ plastic or something light proof. To be honest IMO those pics don't look so hot and immediate attention is needed. You may want to fill out questionaire in infirmary, you may get more help ther. Start now or next time w/ my root zone suggestions in first post. Do some research and take your time planning your next run. Tons of good info here.

MendoCruz

MendoCruz

Your plants look pretty healthy to me. My roots prune themselves once they get a ways out of the buckets. They look similar to the roots coming out of your blocks. I'm not getting 2 a light and this is my first full run in, so I am far from being the authority in this matter.

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

Your plants look pretty healthy to me. My roots prune themselves once they get a ways out of the buckets. They look similar to the roots coming out of your blocks. I'm not getting 2 a light and this is my first full run in, so I am far from being the authority in this matter.
That was also my original impression, and if it works it works. I also air prune in smart pots, but try to avoid any roots being exposed to direct light or turning green. There really was not enough info to give correct diagnosis, if there was a problem at all, but I figured that's why he was posting.
Not saying that system won't work, I experienced healthier roots and more room for roots when they were covered.

What Up Nobody? How are those plants lookin?

deep buddy

deep buddy

hey i would go with the granulate or cubes or a mix in some kind of container the cubes are IMO better for smaller ie. SOG. just my two cents. that is if you want to go form 9 per 1k to 4 per 1k. and blocks are great if they are going on slabs.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

I just took all these photos right now. You can see a green lighter and a yoyo in the pictures to get size of buds. Say they are 3-4 inches round. Maybe I am just tripping since i never see the roots before. Its always been hydroton and ebb and gro buckets sys for me. Or a table full of hydroton.

I am keeping away from slabs. If a plant dies then you got problems for the rest on the row. Another reason would be for moving and rotation.

The cube&chunks of rockwool sound like a good idea. Only thing is how big of bucket should be filled. 5Gallon? 3.5gallons out of the 5? Also what about cost to fill such size to take consider.

If you ever had a bug problem in the roots. It was because there was that much room for them to lay eggs and live. One of my buds say to leave no room for them to live. Reason why I was wondering about stacking blocks. Loses fill may be a great option on the other hand for not having a big mess.

What is people thought on gutter trays. Like Botanicare JetStrea? Got an area I can not fit trays over 2x4 and so far I am liking what my eyes see for buds in 6th week out of 9th.
images

IMG 1378
IMG 1379
IMG 1380
IMG 1381
IMG 1382
M.S.T.

M.S.T.

Plants still look healthy to me, if the roots just look funny but plants are not showing any negative signs and you are close to harvest, I would not worry too much.
Suck up all the info you can, and make it yours. Personal experience combined with the experience of others is a great way to dial your system. Best of luck. Enjoy your smoke.

Latest posts

Top Bottom