New Room, New Cooling Questions

• Thread starter Chobble
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chobble

Chobble

Hey Everyone,

Heres my situation.

I am currently working on getting my room set up with the eventual goal being 6k watts, the first run will be 2K watts. I want to do an initial run while I slowly gather more toys to further increase my quality/yield (and dial in my nute regiment).

Anyways here's what I have:

7K BTU Air Conditioner
740 CFM Inline Fan
620 FM Inline Fan
2 Box Fans
2 Oscillating fans

First off, The plan is to install the 740 CFM fan onto the air cooled hoods to pull the hottest air quickly out of the room. I can push it into my Veg room that has a 140 CFM exaust fan, or I can add it to the duct that vents outside. The duct is about six feet from where the fan will be, then it is five feet up through the ducting.

Should I get a booster fan for the exaust or is it just better to use my 600 CFM fan?

Secondly, Install the smaller 600 CFM fan onto intake, pulling 2' from an outside vent on the same wall.

The box fans will be placed to circulate air in the canopy (pushing air opposite each other). The oscillating fans will move air in the canopy.

The Air conditioner is kind of stuck against the wall where I plan to put my ballasts. So I guess it will kick on a little bit more in the hotter part of the room. It will blow into the middle of the plants though.

Gotta get buildin ;)

Chobble

Chobble

Chobble

Okay so here I have a sketch up drawing of my floor plan.

Studio2k

The Green box is the 8x4 Flood Tray for flower.

The Red box is the 400w Metal halide veg area

The Gold Box is my 8 bulb T5 mother area.

The Light Green will be a shelf for rooting and storage (Not like I dont have plenty of storage in the mother room)

Anyways maybe this will help get a few responses.

Chobble

Chobble

Chobble

Here are a couple of pictures of the space before I started construction. I was just storing all the room materials in the area. I'm about 80% done with construction. Just waiting to finish the ducting through the veg area so it works with the vent from the flower room. I just want to get maximum efficiency from my ducting, and I'm not quite sure how to achieve that (ducting is where my heating/cooling knowledge ends).

Excuse the messy room. I hadn't tidied...

Anyways putting up panda walls. I'll probably upgrade to plywood soon enough though, I intend on expanding the room more as I dial in the nute regiment with this strain. So Im not making the walls to permanent.

0926130909b

Chobble

ttystikk

ttystikk

Anytime someone wants to run more than 4kW, I try to talk them into water chilling. Since you only have room for onebloom area, that may not be feasible- but if you're expanding to 6kW then it might make sense. Again, IME chiller's trend to be a better match for bloom rooms on the flip.

Chobble

Chobble

Anytime someone wants to run more than 4kW, I try to talk them into water chilling. Since you only have room for onebloom area, that may not be feasible- but if you're expanding to 6kW then it might make sense. Again, IME chiller's trend to be a better match for bloom rooms on the flip.

I've been wanting to use your chilling tactics for a few years now actually :3 The end game goal is to have this room split into two 4K watt flower rooms with water cooling. Will my 200 Gal of res cut it for cooling purposes or should I keep my eyes open for a larger stock tank?

I just have this equipment laying around so Im trying to get as much working with 2K watts as possible. While I learn the strain, dial it in and work my ass off at school.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I've been wanting to use your chilling tactics for a few years now actually :3 The end game goal is to have this room split into two 4K watt flower rooms with water cooling. Will my 200 Gal of res cut it for cooling purposes or should I keep my eyes open for a larger stock tank?

I just have this equipment laying around so Im trying to get as much working with 2K watts as possible. While I learn the strain, dial it in and work my ass off at school.

Your chiller res needs to be well insulated and right near the center of operations, to keep house runs shorter. I run just 40 gallons in a partly full 55 gallon drum, wrapped with insulation, works great! Much bigger than this and the chiller res itself becomes a significant source of heat, as it gets too big to insulate effectively or keep up with the system's needs quickly enough.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm digging into water cooled process chillers which work to remove the heat as hot water, allowing for all kinds of money saving uses!

Chobble

Chobble

I'm digging into water cooled process chillers which work to remove the heat as hot water, allowing for all kinds of money saving uses!

Yeah I really like the idea of using thermal energy to heat/cool growing areas. That sounds really interesting though, I imagine they run a pretty penny and probably draw a considerable amount of power (Less or equal to an AC). I want to work water cooling into my design though so when I expand in 2-3 months (Hell semester will be over) I won't have to re-wire or replumb much.

Chobble

Chobble

Chobble

Your chiller res needs to be well insulated and right near the center of operations, to keep house runs shorter. I run just 40 gallons in a partly full 55 gallon drum, wrapped with insulation, works great! Much bigger than this and the chiller res itself becomes a significant source of heat, as it gets too big to insulate effectively or keep up with the system's needs quickly enough.

So concept being I would want to put my res in-between my two rooms (Theres a second "room next to this one). Then run water through a pipe to evenly cool a room much like under bench heating in a greenhouse?

Also if your not familiar with the bench heating systems then look into them, I feel like they could be extremely useful for cooling as well.

You are the man though so I would imagine you would though.

Chobble

ttystikk

ttystikk

I don't claim to be an expert at anything, let alone hvac- I just know some ins and outs of water chilling.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Yeah I really like the idea of using thermal energy to heat/cool growing areas. That sounds really interesting though, I imagine they run a pretty penny and probably draw a considerable amount of power (Less or equal to an AC). I want to work water cooling into my design though so when I expand in 2-3 months (Hell semester will be over) I won't have to re-wire or replumb much.

Chobble

Yes, there is a compressor involved, pumping Freon- or R134a- around a system that sheds heat on one side and pulls it on the other. Using the output of both sides IS all but guaranteed to be more efficient than using just one side. You don't need the hot water side to get the use of it. I just put my chiller in the office for the winter and it heats my whole house!

Chobble

Chobble

I don't claim to be an expert at anything, let alone hvac- I just know some ins and outs of water chilling.

Well I've read plenty of your material through the years, so I would generally trust what you say ;).

Chobble

Chobble

Heres how the rooms coming along now.. Im just finishing some minor details like trellising and drip systems, oh yeah and the wiring thats been getting an over haul as well.

1003131013a
1003131013b

Chobble

Latest posts

Top Bottom