Noob Question

• Thread starter Bo jangles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bo jangles

I just started growing my own here in Maine. Testing with just one plant for now. Basic setup in a closet lined w tin foil and with four reflective dish type lights, decent soil in a plastic tub setup like one of those hydro planters. Heater w auto temp and humidifier. Lights are set on a timer, 18/6 for about 30 days, than 12/12.
The lights I got are 4 2600k and 4 6000k LED type that fit in a regular socket. I made a mistake and used the flowering lights from the start. Didn't realize until I was ready to change the bulbs. The growth seems strong so far and I do bring it outside when weather is good. Just curious if there's any major problem using the wrong lights in the early stages.

StandingRock

StandingRock

Looking good! And it's totally legal in Maine lucky you! And congrats.

MW7945

MW7945

Not a big deal, it's just the blue light spectrum is typically better for faster veg growth, while the red spectrum is better for flowering. Doesn't hurt anything per say.

Would definitely look into buying a decent LED light made for growing for future grows though. Winter will be here before you know it ;)

MW7945

MW7945

Looks like you could benefit from trimming the plant up some though

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Ditch the tin foil. Score some emergency blankets, Mylar, black/white film, will reflect a while.lot better. Foil also causes hot spots on the plants.

MW7945

MW7945

Ditch the tin foil. Score some emergency blankets, Mylar, black/white film, will reflect a while.lot better. Foil also causes hot spots on the plants.

was going to suggest panda film but not sure how well that works. Says 90% reflectivity (on the white site)

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
In use it on my floors and ceilings.
TPO, Theroplastic polyolophin.
Used in roofing commercial and industrial buildings. You can get it from .45 mill up to .80 mill. Applied to the walls and floor. Basically when I build a room it's a giant swimming pool the only problem is the door I can't get 100% air tite for my co2. But leaks are very small with weatherstripping around the door. The reflectivity is tremendous.
IMG 0435

Irietime

Irietime

Plant looks awesome!! You don't need much to grow a nice plant. Good job. Peace

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
White paint reflects better than mylar and mylar blankets get spots if they get wet, and also have hot spots like aluminum, just not as bad.

B

Bo jangles

Thanks for all the input, looks like I'll be ok for my first time around.
Few things I'll do next time, bigger soil box and some kind of ventilation. It gets pretty dank in the house from just one plant. I could put a small vent and fan out the wall to outside but I'm likely only to grow one plant per year so maybe not worth the hole especially during winter.
Would mirrors work for reflecting light?
I was thinking I should trim it up but was afraid to damage something. I'll look up some tips.
Thanks again everyone.

MW7945

MW7945

Thanks for all the input, looks like I'll be ok for my first time around.
Few things I'll do next time, bigger soil box and some kind of ventilation. It gets pretty dank in the house from just one plant. I could put a small vent and fan out the wall to outside but I'm likely only to grow one plant per year so maybe not worth the hole especially during winter.
Would mirrors work for reflecting light?
I was thinking I should trim it up but was afraid to damage something. I'll look up some tips.
Thanks again everyone.

Don't use mirrors, that's about as bad as it can get for hot spots. Could always just buy an actual grow tent, especially if you intend to just do one plant. As far as smell, if you don't want any holes (and you do get a grow tent), you can just get an inline fan hooked up to a carbon scrubber. Assuming you have negative pressure in the tent, it'll keep the smell in there.

B

Bo jangles

I snipped the top off today and some lower leaves. Felt kinda awful hahaha.
I read up a bit on the light reflection, seems matte white is preferred. Time to ditch the foil. Watched too much trailer park boys.
There are some interesting DIY carbon filters that don't look too hard to make as well. Awesome info on here, thanks again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom