Ok So I Took A Run At Aquaponics!

• Thread starter mauiinfinity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mauiinfinity

mauiinfinity

This was a little side project that was for fun and I love me some innovation! I did some research online and couldnt find much info or setups on this so this is what I came up with....

55 gallon fish tank
fish are Bass and sunfish from a lake nearbye
2 25 gallon totes filled with lava and pumus that I harvested locally.. cleaned and ph
175 gph pump
and the two home made fill and drain out of pvc
3 357 magnum LED...
Ok so i took a run at aquaponics
Ok so i took a run at aquaponics 2
Ok so i took a run at aquaponics 3
Ok so i took a run at aquaponics 4
Ok so i took a run at aquaponics 5

Muckman420

Muckman420

This was a little side project that was for fun and I love me some innovation! I did some research online and couldnt find much info or setups on this so this is what I came up with....

55 gallon fish tank
fish are Bass and sunfish from a lake nearbye
2 25 gallon totes filled with lava and pumus that I harvested locally.. cleaned and ph
175 gph pump
and the two home made fill and drain out of pvc
3 357 magnum LED... View attachment 476307View attachment 476308 View attachment 476309View attachment 476311 View attachment 476314
I wanted to take a go at aquaponics, I have this 300 gal tank
I'm subbed and taking notes:rolleyes:

SpiderK

SpiderK

B.C.G.A

Time -2:07, 1 Dec 1998
From Vic High

Hey guys, just back from Vansterdam. Finally got to meet with Breeder Steve.
He's quite a generous guy with his time, and boy can he roll big joints! He rolled
a J of brand X that must have been a whole 8th! Rope will get me stoned, so that
was way out of my league.

What did get my attention was his aquaponic setup that he calls "The
Sweetwater System".It employs a double res setup, one typical, and one
being a fish tank loaded with fish. Water in the two res's are exchanged
regularily (something like every hour). He says he never cleans his fish tank, as
all the plants and bottom feeders use up all wastes. Plants are fed with drip
emmitters via the typical res. pH doesn't fluctuate and the ppms remain between
300 and 400.

Now these drip emmitters fed two setups. One was a traditional "dutch pot"
system. You know, the one where each plant is grown on a 5 gallon pail? He
used a 5 or 6 inch basket that was 3/4 filled with those red balls (I think they are
an expanded clay called "hyrotron"?). Steve then covered the red balls with 1"
layer of a blend of worm castings and "Steve's Special Blend". The Special
Blend (2-6-5) is an organic mix comprised of green sand, rock phosphate, fruit
bat quano, feather meal, steamed bone meal- regular & fine, kelp meal,
sunflower seed hull ash, canola seed meal, cotton seed meal, alfalfa meal,
langbeinite, corn gluten meal, pyro clay, diatomaceous earth, and calcium
peroxide. Initially, the low nitrogen surprised me, but then after I thought about it,
I realized that the plants were probably getting all the nitrogen they needed from
the fish tank. I believe there was an air stone in teh bottom of each pail. Seven
weeks ago Steve planted tomato seeds into the medium and now the plants are
3 feet tall and have softball sized green tomatoes on them. WOW!

The second setup was basically a large table, 4' high, covered with something
like 1/4" dense plastic. Holes were cut in it to hold the 4" or 5" net cups. Again
the cups were filled with the reddish clay balls and topped with the special blend
and worm castings. Again the net baskets were fed with drip emitters. What
interested me is what happened under those net cups.

A large pond liner tarp was suspended under the net cups to catch the water
and funnel it back into the typical res. There was about 3' between the bottom of
the net cups and the bottom of the tarp. And you know what this means?????
LOTSA ROOM FOR ROOTS! Big roots equal big buds in my book. This feature
had me totally stoked!

I'm one that has had little respect for the hydroponic side of our hobby for some
time. I've watched others playing with the large numbers of clones and shaken
my head (legal risk). I've watched them fight pH drifts and shaken my head. I've
watched them fight root rot and shaken my head. I've watched them lose entire
crops due to pump or power failures and shaken my head. I've watched them
pumping in the chems (hurting the environment) and shaken my head. I've
watched them be proud of their 1-2 lbs per light in their high intensity gardens
and shaken my head. Well I've stopped shaking my head for this one. Steve's
way of working with the Dutch Pot system seems to take care of all my
hydroponic concerns. I just wish I wasn't too stoned to have asked him what he
fed his fish and why his emmitters didn't clog.

SpiderK

SpiderK

posted November 06, 1999 02:46 AM

Typical aquarium owners change 30% of the water every week. This is to protect the fish from the
accumulation of toxic waste in their habitat. I'm talking about their own waste choking them. Aquarium
enthusiasts are all ready familiar with the nitrogen cycle, for the rest of you here it is. Ammonia is the most
poisonous of the nitrogenous compounds to the fish, it is also the first to accumulate in the water as a
result of the fish waste. As the ammonia level rises during the first few days of operation, and given the
proper conditions (ie aerated surface area), beneficial aerobic bacteria called nitrosonomas begin to feed
on the ammonia converting it into the less harmful compound nitrite. This is still toxic to the fish, but not
as toxic as ammonia. As the nitrite level rises, given the appropriate conditions, another species of
nitrobacteria (nitrobacter) colonizes feeding on the nitrite. This reduces the nitrite to nitrate, the least
toxic of these compounds to the fish. The aerated surface area is known as the biofilter, an integral part of
this technique, for this is where the good bacteria colonize. This cycle takes twelve days to control the
degradation of ammonia-nitrite-nitrate. For this reason most people begin with a few small fish and
gradually add more after two weeks, when the biofilter is bacterially balanced. As you know these three
nitrogenous compounds are essential to the health of your plant, which will readily suck them out of the
water. A foliar feed with this water will green up any plants, guaranteed. By bathing the roots continuously
with this water, the plants are sponging the nutrients out of the solution hence cleaning the water further
than the filter. When the water returns to the aquarium it is heavily aerated, which is of the utmost
importance to the health of populations of beneficial aerobic bacteria. These bacteria not only process
nutrients into a plant soluble form, and clean the water for the fish, they also inhibit the proliferation of
destructive bacteria by a process known as competitive exclusion. Once the solution is dominant with good
bacteria monopolizing the available food sources, bad bacteria is unable to gain a foot hold. When one
spore of bad bacteria comes in contact with a sterile hydroponic solution, it multiplies rapidly and disaster
is the inevitable result. In a healthy aquaponic system that spore is a snack for more established helpful
bacteria. The plants are protected and fed by the beneficial bacteria. The only supplemental nutes given
are organic and used sparingly. It is definately a less is more scenario. I use Earth Juice Catalyst for PH
down. PH up is merl mix, ground oyster shells and special lime. I top dress around the plants with a tbsp of
castings. Repeat as necessary. I fill up the foot of nylon stockings with my special blend of guanos, ashes,
mineral rock, kelp, and feed meals. I drop this in the aquarium for added bloom food. Rapidly algae starts to
eat at it, and a horde of algae eaters attach themselves to it reducing it to plant soluble food. Any and all
deficiencies in any garden can be rectified organically.

For best results use only one aquarium for your entire garden, mothers, clones and all stages of growth. If
your garden is staggered you balance the demands on the water, as the plants have varying nutrient
requirements at different stages of growth. I keep the most diverse range of creatures in the aquarium to
fill all the niches. The more lifeforms, the greater the balance. I could go on and on, I'm writing a book on
growing cannabis this way. Your questions are important to me. Some other nice things about this are that
you never have to change your solution, just top it up. The plants sprout and finish with an average of
275ppm. Remember that the probes that measure dissolved salts only give a very rough picture, they
cannot measure life. I'll check back here if anyone wants more information and has specific questions. Yes
Vic, more roots=more plant. Cheers!

------------------
Sinserely Steve

SpiderK

SpiderK

steve
posted November 06, 1999 10:20 AM

In response to some excellent e-mail questions I told the person I would reply here. I thought that I may
as well answer here as more will share his questions. Water temperature and fish types? As the primary
reason for our system is the highest quality cannabis possible the water temperature must be optimum for
the cannabis. I find this to be between 22°C-24° Celsius. Most tropicals are all right with this, the feeder
goldfish are fine, until chow time, which is all the time. To the surprise of my fish dealer I keep fish
together that theoretically won't live together due to differing PH preferences, ie hardwater cichlids from
some of the best ganja producing lands in Africa, (calcium rich soils around Lakes Malawi, and Tanginyka,
PH 7.1) These hardy fish do quite well in a tank with southeast asian and amazonian varieties that prefer
something around PH 6. In general the grass likes 6.2. I let it move around a little because in my
superstitious mind that allows the freeing up of things I barely understand. If it has risen to the high sixes I
will bring it down, even with apple juice or coffee, unless I feel it needs a boost of fert, then I give it a
tbsp of EJ Catalyst as I mentioned earlier. I have little freshwater crabs, lobsters, snails, eels, and a huge
variety of "suckers". All of these keep the tank clean. Instead of just feeding the fish flakes and pellets you
will likely derive much more pleasure and taste from your garden if you keep a small auxilliary tank for
raising feeder guppies. I keep the fancy guppies whom are now referred to as gourmet guppies and scoop
out a bunch for the main tank before I plan on watching the cycle of destruction and renewal. Get a book
on aquarium layout to maximize the aesthetic of your tank with well arranged rocks, driftwood, and aquatic
plants. I've been sucked into one aquarium for two years so far. Much better than TV.
Yes, cooler water = more oxygen holding ability. Too cool or especially too warm can also mean root
problems. Measure the temperature of your root zone and adjust the aquarium cooler or warmer to keep
your roots healthy. We're here for the grass.
The supplemental sources of P,K and micros are all natural, and can be applied easily to specific plants in
the garden as a topdressing of blended guanos, ashes, meals, and unrefined minerals ie seabed deposits,
langbeinite, rock phosphate, etc. By topdressing specific plants their roots hold the dressing in the rocks,
largely for the use of this plant. This makes it possible to grow a variety of plants off of the same reservoir.
A bit of an organically derived tea is gradually released into the water as a result. This benefits all the
plants. I keep over three times the recommended amount of fish in my aquarium. One inch of fish per gallon
of water is the traditional aquarium formula. The reason for the standard formula is that the water is dirty
too fast and the fish suffer. However the traditional aquarium is not filtered through an 8000 watt grow
room full of weed at all stages. The aquarium/reservoir is 90 gallons. The one I am setting up in Europe is
twice the reservoir for about 24 000 watts of grow space. You'll see how it goes. Most of the grow gurus
were decidely skeptical when I told them what I'd found, too many of their friends sell chem nutrients.
These grow groupies are now the ones that offer to blow me for .5 gram of aquaponic grapefruit (not for
sale) The reason is there is no finer way to grow palatable cannabis indoors, good soil is good, but not
better. As far as quantity of harvest there is one thing to remember, that chem salesmen say all the time,
"The plants don't care about the source of their nutrients, they'll use whatever is available to feed on."
Which is my point exactly, as long as everything necessary to feed the plant is properly provided for it will
feed just as fast. It may take you a little practise to be certain that your organic fert is plant soluble on
schedule, compared to the soluble salts you are conditioned to using, but it's worth it. Even if profit is your
only motive, when you achieve the same yield with better pot you can still charge more. I don't feed my
plants chemicals for my sake, I'm the one that is going to taste it. Someone was recently telling me the old
"Well the plants can't tell the difference!" and I was about to reply the usual "Well I can", when I told them
"If your dog is getting into some really foul garbage, ie eating someone's vomit, you would pull it away
wouldn't you, because it doesn't know any better, but you do or should." I've met the proprietors of many
hydro chem companies, I scare the shit out of them. The owner of the largest American hydroponic
nutrient company was telling an audience how his new formula more closely mimicks nature. "More like it
mocks nature" I told him afterwards as I presented him with the opportunity to smoke some incredibly
sweet ganja and after visit the bio aquaponic garden it came from, his eyes went wide and his face had
the stunned glow of someone caught with their pants down. If the glistening bud in my hand scared this
old timer, just imagine if he smoked it and saw a healthy garden indoors in organic hydro. It wasn't very
nice of me, but it was amusing to see this very self-assured man go from strut to split. I'm still laughing at
him. What a shyster, he even admitted he eats organically produced food, for the taste. Sells you cancer.
But he is a bit player in the grand scheme of things. See if phosphate poisoning is a problem in a water
source near you. Identify it's source, and then see if you can pour your excess wasted nutrients down the
drain everyweek with a good conscience. Food for thought, eat good food! Ciao for now.

------------------
Sinserely Steve

SpiderK

SpiderK

posted November 11, 1999 04:50 AM

Excellent question Hibe. The nitrogen level is low enough not to inhibit flowering. The nitrogen most present
is the softest, nitrate. It is essential to the health of the plant throughout. I increase the N in veg by
adding a little worm castings around the base of the plant, this is used up within a few weeks. I too had
heard that aquaponics are only good for green leafy crops like lettuce, or chives. When you look at the
massive tomatoes on Harvest Springs site you will see that this is just a fallacy. The water is rich in all
compounds not just N. Supplemental P and K are easily found in the realm of organic nutrients for an added
boost in bloom.

A simple system consists of buckets (the bigger the better) rubbermaid roughtotes work great. Fill halfway
with your choice of well-rinsed lava rock, hydroton, or gravel, aeration underneath. The buckets should
drain easily to a lower bucket that contains only a pump activated with a float switch. This pump returns
the water to the aquarium as rain (hole in pipes). The aquarium can pump water constantly to piss lines
(not drip) situated on the top of the buckets. The lids of the buckets are cut to facilitate a 3 gallon mesh
bottom pot. The pot is filled with clay corn and should have wicks. I've even fed it on syphon action alone,
no feed pump. Either way about a quarter to a third of the water in the tank floods the buckets until the
return float switch is activated, thereby draining the buckets airing out the biofilter surface area that will
be teeming with beneficial bacteria and massive white roots.

It will grow as fast as with any chemhydronutes, and taste a hell of a lot better, while be better for you. Many feel that it comes through
with a better buzz, but that is pretty subjective for science. I don't care; science is science and life is art.
Warmest Wishes People, Lotsa Love,

------------------
Sinserely Steve

SpiderK

SpiderK

The Urban Farming Guys non profit (501c3) mission is to establish sustainable communities in the most difficult and overlooked places on earth. It begins with local food and water security, alternative energy, and local economic resilience. We are running hard to put the most innovative, accessible, low tech and reproducible solutions for self-sustaining community into the hands of everyday people from the inner-cities to the nations in a way that is caught and spread on a local level. Together we are beating a path for communities and villages to THRIVE in any economy. We are putting them to the test in the hostile environment of the inner city of Kansas City’s Lykins Neighborhood at our U.S. base of operations. Champions are being raised as we entrust these opportunities to our inner-city youth. We aim to intercept and reshape the path of the next generation. And lastly we are multiplying our efforts by putting videos, diagrams, principals, parts lists and full technologies into your hands in an open source knowledge base to make these tools reproducible around the world. Simultaneously we are working in both Mexico and extreme east India by building an off grid fish farm at orphanages in both places. We will soon return to build a bio-gas system to provide cooking fuel and electricity. UFG works to empower indigenous groups. Partnering to build economic forces from the inside out, creating jobs, building resilient communities with affordable healthy food access, and to establishing alternative water and energy solutions that ultimately preserve life in many geographic situations. This work deeply depends on your support to make a global impact. We urge you to help us equip the next generation to thrive.

Muckman420

Muckman420

Keep it coming mang, I'm bookmark king this page now @SpiderK

SpiderK

SpiderK

if you dig into the urban guys website or on you tube they get very detailed. they supply free drawings and everything but the story they are building and all that it's really cool ..... many places are remote with crap soil and they are teaching people some really life changing stuff ...

so for someone like yourself. the website is rich in info -

Muckman420

Muckman420

if you dig into the urban guys website or on you tube they get very detailed. they supply free drawings and everything but the story they are building and all that it's really cool ..... many places are remote with crap soil and they are teaching people some really life changing stuff ...

so for someone like yourself. the website is rich in info -
Thanks mate, I can make a great space with my blank slate, just needed more info. I was getting discouraged about it at first until I saw this thread, I'm gonna jump on it after harvest as my next project

SpiderK

SpiderK

ya fuck it im troll ................ sorry for posting this garbage.

mod's deleting the truth please delete my other spam !!!!

Top Bottom