"Old Toby" - Washington guy thinks he has regressed pot to perfection

• Thread starter fractal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fractal

fractal

Interesting read, but this guy sounds a little full of shit, and himself. Probably doesn't get out much.

His strain looks decent but his claims are insane. That by inbreeding/selfing this plant 30 times or more he has magically reduced it to the ideal cannabis that resembles the original untainted plant which guided human brain development for eons.

Right off the bat that makes no sense. Nature does not produce selfed plants generation after generation. His plants are inbred beyond anything I thought possible, and definitely unique. What does the Farm think?

sky high

sky high

LOL. He looks to be about 40.

Yup...an >old< expert. 6 years with the plant! Wow! Have any of you grown THAT long?

Reminds me of Tim Tipton here in CO. You know...an "expert..doin things nobody else has done...and for longer too..... :rolleyes:

FWIW, I have a plastic bong older than "Old toby" seems to be. :D

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Interesting read, but this guy sounds a little full of shit, and himself. Probably doesn't get out much.

His strain looks decent but his claims are insane. That by inbreeding/selfing this plant 30 times or more he has magically reduced it to the ideal cannabis that resembles the original untainted plant which guided human brain development for eons.

Right off the bat that makes no sense. Nature does not produce selfed plants generation after generation. His plants are inbred beyond anything I thought possible, and definitely unique. What does the Farm think?
I wonder who this guy talked to to find out that he is on the path to the original "untainted" plant! That's some funny shit, I got a bridge to sell this guy!!

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

I think he may have found the perfect strain for HIS own body and mind. Kudos to him. But to claim all that for some inbred freak plant is outlandish. Sure does color up nice but the structure looks kinda larfy.
i didnt read the article but in all honesty the guy knows to a degree what he is talking about, by inbreeding the genetics you will eventually get the pure lineage, thats why in the days of kings and queens there was so much incest inorder to save the bloodline.........take it easy

B

Buditch

I have been searching for this stain for along time, if you know where to get it i would like to try it after what 1000 watt and Danny Danko with high times put out. Is this Mat guy A lot of BS? Ya i think so. To go to the extent of the god plant, and that it cures most anything. I dont believe that it cures anything, maybe helps in some areas like other cannabis does for a cancer cure. I did watch 6 video's on the strain on old toby YouTube and they have a few people there that are giving testimonials. It seems pretty interesting no mater what the facts are. I have short term memory loss it seems on a daily bases and want to give this new weed a try. Thanks

fractal

fractal

It IS interesting, just totally unconventional and strange. I would give it a go, not sure if he is giving out clones or seeds. He said he wants to share it though. Maybe everyone should take their favorite strain and incross it 30 times to get their own custom strain.

ttystikk

ttystikk

i didnt read the article but in all honesty the guy knows to a degree what he is talking about, by inbreeding the genetics you will eventually get the pure lineage, thats why in the days of kings and queens there was so much incest inorder to save the bloodline.........take it easy

Not exactly- the inbreeding was an UNdesirable byproduct of the royal imperative to marry one's way into alliances and shared defense/resource pacts. They knew it, but the feudal system they were stuck in did not allow for many options.

Humans are already VERY inbred by the standards of other mammals in the animal kingdom. Even other Great Apes have far more genetic diversity as species than humans do, despite how much we outnumber them. Thus, humans have much more trouble with genetic diseases when we're inbred than most other species. As a result, some geneticists believe that humans actually came about as a distinct race/species precisely BECAUSE of a prolonged period of inbreeding within a small population. Mitochondrial DNA analysis confirms that every human alive shares their maternal bloodline with just one female, some 70,000 years ago. These and other data points would suggest they're onto something.

The phrase 'Blue blood' may have evolved to mean royalty- but originally it was an observation of the pallor of many people of royal birth... because they carried the genetic defect that causes sickle cell amenia, a condition where red blood cells aren't round, but deformed into sickle shapes which are less efficient at absorbing oxygen- and therefore appear blue.

The royal classes of feudal Europe eventually became so desperate for 'new blood' (this, too is the actual origin of this phrase, btw!) that royal women would go and pick a commoner to get pregnant by, in an attempt to reverse the steady decline of diversity.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Not to pick on you, Ohiofarmer- your post just raised several interesting points!

Inbreeding IS a time honored method of selecting for specific traits within a species. This is a foundational technique that's largely responsible for everything from the modern huge ear of corn to fryer chickens to dog breeding and big breasted 'domesticated' turkeys.

As such, it in and of itself is not a necessarily bad or unscientific technique. In fact, scientists, over the course of many generations and patiently back selecting for specific ancient traits, recently revived an ancient species of horse, extinct for thousands of years. These guys knew what they were doing and produced an animal that met their criteria and retained enough genetic diversity to be useful in its own right to re-establish the race.

This guy who claims to have inbred one plant 30 times, his story is like Swiss cheese. What traits was he selecting for with his crosses? How does he know his strain is an 'original'? Did he follow a known set of markets or traits? The answer to that last question is definitely No, because those plants haven't existed in the wild for thousands of years; only their 'contaminated' offspring have.

Is it possible to produce new, interesting strains with 'strange' cannabinoid profiles, different structures, etc by inbreeding? ABSOLUTELY! Yet anyone with real expertise in the subject is going to do anything but make the loony, obviously exaggerated claims this guy has.

ttystikk

ttystikk

FOR REAL!! Is this guy a clown or is the reporter who conducted the article a jagaloon?! Total horse shit. I am glad someone found this as stupid as I.

Peace

You know what I would dearly like to see, brother? I'd like to see this guy get you pissed off enough to do your own genetic back crossing project, just to show this joker how it's done!

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

I understand where your coming from and understand the logic behind your thinking however we must remeber that genes are in essence the same for all species of organisms, and so though the original "bloodline" of the cannabis has been tainted, his theory does hold correct that by inbreeding for long enough he would and could have a high likely hood of eventually stumbling across a line which would produce with up to 1 in 256 stock, the 1 being original bloodline that was breed out, know this 256 would be based on the original "bloodline" lineage being crossed 4 times exponentially, so P x Y then (P x Y. x Q) and so on and so fourth......i'm not saying that is what he did simply saying it is possible and in my mine very plausible, for somone to dedicate so much time would take forever, and also how to decide what traits are cosindered "bloodline" traits would be the hard part

zeke

zeke

I live in Washington and am a clone whore. I have friends that are worse off than me with there addiction and go to the sound area dispensary and clone shops a couple times a month. Heard about it a long time ago. Laughed. Forgot about it until now. I'm thinking if it was worth a shit I would have heard about it from some goomba. Not saying its not possible, just not all that plausible. I'll stick to breeding winners with winners and selecting winners from those winners until they pry the empty seed vial out of my cold dead hands.

DOGFATHER808

DOGFATHER808

Just got some free beans of Toby from Matt. Will grow them in the Hawaiian sun and post a report when done. I don't know him but he seemed cool and he was giving away free seeds and plants at the cup.

jimmy the hat

jimmy the hat

I talked to this dude at the cup......likes to use big words out of context......wasnt making a lot of sense.....tried the herb.....it was ok....but not memorable. Cool enough guy...but kind of outrageous claims

drewski85

drewski85

I remember reading about this clown in ht (maybe skunk magazine). He lost all credibility with me when he started babbling about being abducted by aliens

Top Bottom