Organic Hydro - Your ideas, please

• Thread starter sky high
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sky high

sky high

Heya folks! :stonedsmilie:

I searched the site but the threads on this topic are minimal/few and far between. My hope here is to get a good discussion going about the possibility of running organics successfully in a hydro set up.

I'm running DWC...10-5 gallon buckets under 3600watts

I've ran all sorts of nutes, Eco-Grow/Bloom, GH Flora Series and Maxi powders, Technaflora, Max Sea, Ionic...
In fact, I had free access to all of the popular fertilizer lines for about 4 years and basically ran the gamut.

I've had some GREAT runs using these chemmie products, but there's not a lot of challenge to it after awhile and I certainly MISS the danker buds that the soil grows I did for 15 years offered. Thing was...I was alway running out of pot...and there sure wasn't much around for making hash/etc....thus the transition to DWC!

Anyways...I'm now looking to change things up a bit and try running some organics through this system.

Can anyone offer any guidance through personal experience? Is anyone here running a >true< organic hydro set up? (Foxfarm isn't organic, neither is PBP, FWIW)

I've looked at humboldt nutes....lotsa products...almost getting to the "AN" stage of ridiculousness, IMO.... but if they work..that is a different story...

metanaturals is also a possibility. i remember seeing hydro recipes on otyher forums that tried to replicate the "lucas" formula... anyone run these anymore or have enough experience to comment on how they work?

Canna... have heard good things but have never had it in hand to use/etc. Seems like they have an all-organic line

bio-bizz.... I've used this is soil...and it worked well....

I also remember talk of something called "The Recipe". Had some Canuck products in it...Carbon black, a humic, etc. Shoulda wrote it down but didn't....

My big question is this: When running chems the roots stay white/healthy looking. Anytime i add organics/organic based additives everything goes brown.

Will the roots eventually get skanky during an organic run or is the brown just aesthetic and there are no worries? I'm spoiled to those white roots fillin the buckets! LOL.

This weekend I fired up the tea bucket and brewed up some Age Old organics "Guano fruit" mix (powder) in a nylon hose. The resulting water was gold and had no odor...so i addded some to the res last night. I know this isn't balanced/etc and isn't a long-term mix...but it was what I had on hand and I figured it would brew up *fairly* clear. In the past in my soil grows I have made teas out of guanos and Rainbow mix with GREAT success. I'd love to find a homebrew or a pre-mix that covers all the bases and isn't too nasty...LOL.

FWIW....my res temps stay in the 60's as the mountain climate never gets truly "hot" here. No issues YET with root problems/pathenogens/etc. Room temps 65-80, summer...cooler in Winter...espcially in lights out mode.

does anyone have any suggestions or experience on a 100% organic formula to run?

any help/ideas appreciated!

sky

B

bdawgburner

I'd stay away from the Iguana juice from advanced in dwc. It didnt do so hot for the plants i tried it on. That was a couple years ago though and my nute temp was about 75. It pretty much just turned to foam like a tea bucket does. In soil its all that and a bag of chips but not in dwc ime.

sky high

sky high

Thanks dawg. I'm not sure I wanna have to sell the house to do a run of AN nutes anyway...

LOL :cash:cash:cash

:D

be well!

sky

sky high

sky high

I've done the coco gig, been. Not sure I'd wanna try it in a DWC bucket set up though.

sky high

sky high

Has anyone looking in on this thread seen/heard of/had any experience with these nutes?

http://www.mjjuice.com/

The 2-5-4 and 8-3-8 are supposedly 100% organic. The "grow" packs a punch @ 14-1-1...so there must be a non-org kicker in there somewhere.

kinda reminds me of the old metanaturals nitogen @ 16-0-0. Probably just as BLACK too. LOL.

sky

B

been

Yeah man... you're going to do what you want; I'm just offering up ideas for anyone who wants a truly no-hassle organic hydro experience. :cash

sky high

sky high

If the yields in such a coco grow are 8-16 oz per 5 gallon bucket/plant I am all ears, been... :rauch08:

B

been

If the yields in such a coco grow are 8-16 oz per 5 gallon bucket/plant I am all ears, been... :rauch08:

Nah... you know better than that. :winking0067: I'll never bother with coco again.... or organics for that matter, but it did work well for me.

I know a lot of cats say PBP isn't organic, but you pretty much have to treat it like that (organic)... well I do anyway. That shit stinks when it gets warm (has woken me up from sleep it was so bad), and better not let any light hit the water either or it's Mr. Nasty-time. I can see both sides of the argument... but chems.... :inlove

B

been

That's not to say you can't get a pound+ per plant in coco, but over time there's no comparison that I can see. I think we understand each other, but I want to be clear for everyone else.

sky high

sky high

Fully understood!

The chems are sure easy :cash:indifferent0023::cash

:rauch08:

C

chemicalsword

i run organic supps and chem ferts (dutch master gold) w/ beautiful results.
that along w/ a good foliar feeding regiment... nice flush... slow dry and cure makes for supreme bud.....

J

Jalisco Kid

I have never ran organics,but from what I've read they are slow release. You want to use them in a sys that pushes plants. I do not see that as compatible. If you have girls pushing along at a fast pace, they want fed now and they want a lot.
You lost me on the organics and no weight. Tom Hill is a dirt grower and he produces large plants. If you want to be a dirt farmer go for it. If you want fast plants with ease of growing go with salts. Maybe check out DD grows as he likes DWC also and is getting more then twice what you are looking for in a harvest. Of course kbs is the real way to go. lol Suerte JK

B

been

Organics aren't necessarily time-released. The guanos I've used have higher NPKs than a lot of chems and they wouldn't be labeled like 10-10-2 if it weren't immediately available. Seriously, one shot can ruin a crop; gotta be careful with that shit too.

S

SkyHi

Ok so if i got this right, Chem ferts hydro = Bigger faster yields.
Soil /organics feeds = Slower but tastier nugs ?

J

Jalisco Kid

Its not that organics is time released they are a slower then salts entering the plant. The organics need to be broken down more before they enter the plant. The N in organics will take longer then a nitrate N would. They are basically the same once they are in the plant.
I do not want to start a organic vs salts on taste. A excellent hydro grower can produce good results. Most however load there plants with carbon and do not flush well enough. Pumping co2 into your plants makes them taste diff. I have noticed backing down the last weeks and stopping the last 10 days gives me more flavor or allows the flavor to be exposed. JK

S

SkyHi

Enlighten me, Sky high stated in his first post he MISSED the dank that soil gave him over hydro?

B

been

It's the same way some growers say that PBP isn't organic or how the mix you may call soil could be considered a soilless peat-based hydroponic medium. I may not have the palette of a DJ Short or Shantibaba, but it is what it is.

Top Bottom