Perlite

• Thread starter spyderaz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

spyderaz

Could too much perlite be responsible for acknowledge of roots? I've seen people's pics of thick white roots, yet mine tend to be thin and sparce.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Perlite does not retain moisture it simply creates air pockets in the medium. So if you're medium is overloaded with perlite your roots could dry out significantly.

xenon730

xenon730

Perlite does not retain moisture it simply creates air pockets in the medium. So if you're medium is overloaded with perlite your roots could dry out significantly.
Yeah but roots grow fine in 100% perlite. It's not likely to be perlite. Also if you're using too much perlite and your medium is over dry, wouldn't that just be under watering? Imo, new farmer, not likely to be too much perlite or anything perlite related.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Yeah but roots grow fine in 100% perlite. It's not likely to be perlite. Also if you're using too much perlite and your medium is over dry, wouldn't that just be under watering? Imo, new farmer, not likely to be too much perlite or anything perlite related.
Not really perlite is basically like expanded glass it only holds about 1% water. If you put it in a bucket of water it just floats it really doesn't absorb water. It works when it is receiving a constant supply of water though. Vermiculite is what you're really after.

xenon730

xenon730

Not really perlite is basically like expanded glass it only holds about 1% water. If you put it in a bucket of water it just floats it really doesn't absorb water. It works when it is receiving a constant supply of water though. Vermiculite is what you're really after.
I'm not speaking out of ignorance. Roots grow fine in perlite. Have you actually done that test because that's not the description i would give about watering perlite. I didn't say it's perfect but come on, the likeliness of a new grower having too much perlite as his problem is farfetched. It works top watered too. There was a guy who was determined to do it here before and i badmouthes it then tested it and put my foot in my mouth. It's honestly not even bad but top watering it ends up leaving long term plants sad looking, probably for a few reasons. You could do a 60 day flower top watered in perlite though.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Well if your medium is loaded with perlite it will dry out super quick because it does not retain moisture it ariats the medium. I'm not saying it won't work it just means that it will need a more constant supply of water.

xenon730

xenon730

Well if your medium is loaded with perlite it will dry out super quick because it does not retain moisture it ariats the medium. I'm not saying it won't work it just means that it will need a more constant supply of water.
Agree 100%, just trying to get across a different approach in that that's op being ignorant to his medium choice, not necessarily his medium choice itself. Sorry if I come across argumentative, I'm a sarcastic speaker and that doesn't always translate to text well.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

We basically said the same thing only in a different way LOL an under watering condition.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

u can grow in 100% perlite u would just need a drip and feed system seen it many times

Monster762

Monster762

More perelite means more drainage. Just may need to water more. I've never done coco just soil but I try to keep my soil 50% with 30% perelite and 20% desert sand. It will drain quickly but just don't let it bone dry for days and it'll be good. Now really quick drainage I guess could pass nutes too quick and not give plant chance to uptake them. Therefore flushing money in toilet.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I know a few people that clone in straight perlite ... if you dont have fat white roots then you may wanna check ph

xenon730

xenon730

We basically said the same thing only in a different way LOL an under watering condition.
Yeah. To clarify the reason why i care about that is for learning. When you know when to properly water your medium, you can water any medium or at least learn yourself quickly once you have the foundation. I just wanted to be clear to op that's a mistake hes making with fundamentals, not this run is ruined because he'll convince himself his medium is jacked with perlite. It might sound silly but I've learned in my years of consulting with people that they tend to stray from fundamental thinking. Giving cause and effect to all the wrong things and running in circles over their perlite % instead of the real issue, they don't know the fundamentals of watering medium. Plus, understand air and water movement in medium leads to properly understanding over and under watering from that perspective. So the same thing for sure, i just wanted to hopefully get op to think that it's skill, not jacked up pots.

S

spyderaz

I think it was meant to say lack of roots. i use 60% coco - 40% perlite watering daily to 15% run off, at Ph 5.8
I didn't think to take pic before I transplanted.

THIS IS MY SET UP:
1.2 x 1.2 tent
600w hps (brand new)
10L pots
60% coco/40% perlite
canna A+B
Ryzotonic
PH 5.8
temp 80f
humidity 50%

S

spyderaz

Yeah. To clarify the reason why i care about that is for learning. When you know when to properly water your medium, you can water any medium or at least learn yourself quickly once you have the foundation. I just wanted to be clear to op that's a mistake hes making with fundamentals, not this run is ruined because he'll convince himself his medium is jacked with perlite. It might sound silly but I've learned in my years of consulting with people that they tend to stray from fundamental thinking. Giving cause and effect to all the wrong things and running in circles over their perlite % instead of the real issue, they don't know the fundamentals of watering medium. Plus, understand air and water movement in medium leads to properly understanding over and under watering from that perspective. So the same thing for sure, i just wanted to hopefully get op to think that it's skill, not jacked up pots.
not sure why you would think id convince myself my medium is jacked with perlite, I simply wondered if it could be an issue

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

only issue u would get with it is if u use to much u going to have water damn near just run right though the plant

Latest posts

Top Bottom