Ph Adjustment In Soil. Yes, No, Well, When Then!

• Thread starter Friendlyguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

Im growing in dr earths pot o gold mix....i use ro water and add pwdered dolomite lime to ph 8 and 120 ppm. I add general organics bio thrive and the ph drops to 3.8...this obviously needs to be adjusted to get the opti ph of 6.4....i use pot bicarb to do it. But the ppm goes up another 300. This is irratating me as i think the k is causing a cl problem...i have tips turning yellow and look like they're dying. Lol...its only the lower tips too, not the meristems tip....if that all doesnt make sense let me know....first time grow here...fuck!lol

H

heisen

Soil there is no need to ph whatsoever.since your using ro water your gonna need to add back calcium and magnesium or your gonna end up with a ton of rust spots on the leaves.
Just add your nutrients to the water and give it to them.you cant alter a soil ph level with bottled ph up and downs.

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

Is the k bicarb utilized by the plant as it would any k, or does it have to cycle through. I.e. break down? Im thinking of getting alaska brand cal mag its cal nitrate and mag nitrate...good for veg bad for flower. Ill use gen org calmg+ for flower....nitrates can dri e soil ph but thats what i need at the moment......

H

heisen

If water PH could set the soil PH than all the soil on earth would be neutral from rain water.No matter what PH you put in the soil PH will buffer back to what it was as soon the water leaches through.Its best to already have your soil PH amended.Farmers go through alot to set there soil PH.
adding bottled PH adjusters to soil is only doing more harm than good.
PH adjusters are for hydro because there is no buffer.This has been a dead end debate and i suggest to actually do some research and see for yourself.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
If water PH could set the soil PH than all the soil on earth would be neutral from rain water.No matter what PH you put in the soil PH will buffer back to what it was as soon the water leaches through.Its best to already have your soil PH amended.Farmers go through alot to set there soil PH.
PH adjusters are for hydro because there is no buffer.This has been a dead end debate and i suggest to actually do some research and see for yourself.
No matter what ph huh? Pour milk or battery acid into your soil and watch the buffer!!! Give your plant a redbull...itll give it wings.

H

heisen

No matter what ph huh? Pour milk or battery acid into your soil and watch the buffer!!! Give your plant a redbull...itll give it wings.
so adding toxic chemicals to the plant is the same as what?I see what your putting on the ground but not quite picking it up.
were talking about changing the PH of the water you are adding to the soil.You cannot change the state of the soil by adding PH up or down to the dirt.the soil has a natural buffer.I can mix the water to 1.0 PH and water the plants.Its not going to make my dirt PH 1.0 end of story.
When i got soil samples for bean fields we were getting PH ranges in the 4's.If rain water is around 6.5 to 7 than why is the outside soil 4?
Only lime can raise the soil PH.Just because you PH down the water does not mean its gonna lower the soil PH.The soil ph will return back in a very short time.
This is the biggest misconception i see dirt growers make when growin in dirt.adding bottled PH adjusters is hurting your plants more than helping them.SOIL is not hydro or coco or any other non buffered medium.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
so adding toxic chemicals to the plant is the same as what?I see what your putting on the ground but not quite picking it up.
were talking about changing the PH of the water you are adding to the soil.You cannot change the state of the soil by adding PH up or down to the dirt.the soil has a natural buffer.I can mix the water to 1.0 PH and water the plants.Its not going to make my dirt PH 1.0 end of story.
When i got soil samples for bean fields we were getting PH ranges in the 4's.If rain water is around 6.5 to 7 than why is the outside soil 4?
Only lime can raise the soil PH.Just because you PH down the water does not mean its gonna lower the soil PH.The soil ph will return back in a very short time.
This is the biggest misconception i see dirt growers make when growin in dirt.adding bottled PH adjusters is hurting your plants more than helping them.SOIL is not hydro or coco or any other non buffered medium.
So when someone forgets to ph their nute mix and jacks off their plant.... Was the dirt supposed to fix that or? I always ph my water and feed to 6.5 to 6.8. I dont need to read about it as i have intentionally fucked up clones to see how long it takes to fix. If you mess up 1 feed..not that bad..if you continuously screw up ph..soil drifts

Toaster79

Toaster79

Alright, you're somehow both right.

I'm a dirt grower and don't really care about the pH going in, never did. I tried pH-ing my feeds once and got ill effects on my plants. My tap is 7.2-7.4 and is rich in Ca and Mg. As a matter of fact our tap is pretty damn hard. The thing is I've been growing like that in all sorts of bagged soils, reused soils, amended reused soils and has always worked for me. How's that possible? Is it the fact I'm using organic nitrients based on sugars and mycorrhizae?

K

kansabis

Soil buffers pH that is correct and also over time especially in a relatively small container versus outside ground,repeated watering with really high or low pH can cause then pH of the soil to shift,it can be changed as well,up like or down with sulfur,other things out there too can change soil pH,but a few watering of a solution that isn't in the ideal pH range shouldn't hurt too much.

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

Yeah ph does drift based on w hat you add. Just like in the human body, create an acid environment and disease sets in....one more thing plants and micro flora exudates drive ph changes..there's so many variables....cant wait to figure it all out...

Im going the get a ph meter for 1600$ i plan on growing veggies and bush fruit in the future....just trying the other stuff cuz i got sum bagseed....lol...mk ultra! Its a mind fuck...lol

I'll get it down.....alkalinity in your water is a huge deal...bill argo and paul fisher are pretty much experts when it comes to ph in container media growing...getting their book asap.....i've dl'd pdf files with loads of info just gotta make sense of it all....

WHEN I GET THE TIME IM GOING TO DO A PH THREAD AND DO A COMPARISON..i will grow side by side same cuts same everything. Ph adjust one side and not the other....i will see for myself....appreciate all the input! Its a blessing

K

kansabis

Ge
Yeah ph does drift based on w hat you add. Just like in the human body, create an acid environment and disease sets in....one more thing plants and micro flora exudates drive ph changes..there's so many variables....cant wait to figure it all out...

Im going the get a ph meter for 1600$ i plan on growing veggies and bush fruit in the future....just trying the other stuff cuz i got sum bagseed....lol...mk ultra! Its a mind fuck...lol

I'll get it down.....alkalinity in your water is a huge deal...bill argo and paul fisher are pretty much experts when it comes to ph in container media growing...getting their book asap.....i've dl'd pdf files with loads of info just gotta make sense of it all....

WHEN I GET THE TIME IM GOING TO DO A PH THREAD AND DO A COMPARISON..i will grow side by side same cuts same everything. Ph adjust one side and not the other....i will see for myself....appreciate all the input! Its a blessing
great hope to see this experiment play out,many growers should be doing these types of trials and sharing the data,the benefit of one is also a benefit to others.

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

Most bagged soil is not going to need to be pH'd as it most likely is within range straight out of the bag (If they are doing their job) but if you are mixing your own soil mix you may find a pH pen is very much a useful tool especially if you are growing acid loving fruit as well.

str8smokn

str8smokn

@Homesteader yes, exactly If your growing something that needs it to be acidic or alkaline then yes I’m with you and I can see if your mixing your own soil too.
STR8

Top Bottom