Please Help - Cheap Diy Cob Build For Small Grow (3x2ft)

• Thread starter Northernpop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Northernpop

Northernpop

Hi guys,

Please could someone give me a link, or post to a cheap diy cob build for a small grow (2x3ft)? I currently grow four females in scrog under a fairly crappy 1000w LED from China that has a fan that's too noisy for me. The light distribution is also limited to the centre of the grow. I'm a poor gardener, but I've got a soldering iron, and I'm keen to learn !!

Peace out !!

madgrower

madgrower

Hi guys,

Please could someone give me a link, or post to a cheap diy cob build for a small grow (2x3ft)? I currently grow four females in scrog under a fairly crappy 1000w LED from China that has a fan that's too noisy for me. The light distribution is also limited to the centre of the grow. I'm a poor gardener, but I've got a soldering iron, and I'm keen to learn !!

Peace out !!
any ventilation

Northernpop

Northernpop

Yeah, rooms dialled in year round. Probs going hempy next grow.

Happy growing !!

Northernpop

Northernpop

What the minimum wattage/numbers of cob/s will I need for a decent grow (that's enough)? I'm in uk too.

Cheers.

Toaster79

Toaster79

You need about 35-50W/sqrft for flower, so 250W-300W unit with Cree, Bridgelux, Citizen or Lumiled Cob paired to a proper Meanwell driver should fit perfect. 100W 4000K-5000K highest CRI for veg + 150-200W of 2700K-3000K for flower and two separate drivers or 3000K-3500K of highest CRI for an all-rounder. You could also go quantum board way. 2 of them would fit nicely without a beefy heatsink. There are infinite options, those are just 2 of my ideas.

Read this and this.

Since you own a soldering iron I assume you know what this is: P=U×I

For ordering parts, Kingbrite (jerry meng) is a good place to get all the parts on a budget.

Northernpop

Northernpop

Cheers Toaster !!

I think it's Ohm's law, but I'll need to do plenty of reading up before I start proper. 250w would probably do it, or whatever fits best. I'd like it to be passive cooled though, if possible. I don't like fans.

Happy growing.

Northernpop

Northernpop

Hey guys, please be easy on me, but could these actually work in a 2x2.5' grow? The build would cost more me than this I think.

Peace out !!

IMG 3359
Northernpop

Northernpop

Cheers islandgrows, I've just bought a soldering iron and reading up on diy cob builds too. Lol.

So would that floodlight system not work?

Any good links regarding quantum boards, or basics to know? I'll start reading up.

Happy growing!!

Islandgrows

Islandgrows

Cheers islandgrows, I've just bought a soldering iron and reading up on diy cob builds too. Lol.

So would that floodlight system not work?

Any good links regarding quantum boards, or basics to know? I'll start reading up.

Happy growing!!
Horticulture lighting group is the company name can find it with a quick Google search. Or type in qb288 led

MW7945

MW7945

Most COB kits don't require any soldering now... Vero's have everything built in. Plug and play type stuff.

Tbht that kit you posted looks like a turd pile. If you can get 4 cobs and run them @ 200w you should be good

Northernpop

Northernpop

Ok guys, and here's the thing.... Could I just buy four of these for my grow? They have no fans, and I don't have to build. Or am I missing something?

Peace out !!

IMG 3368
brazel

brazel

the difference between fan and no fan depends on your heatsink. What does a heatsink do? What's passive and active? Look at power supplies, learn about them. Learn about cobs. Learn spectrum. Learn what plants see and what we see. Someone can tell you this but to learn it, is the goal, cheers​

Northernpop

Northernpop

Cheers Brazel !! I agree, a little knowledge in the wrong hands is dangerous. I'll research and do everything within my power not to blow my house up.

I'm set on a good meanwell 1400 driver and citizen cob build (with soldering ). Do any Brits know of any good lighting suppliers?

Many thanks, and happy growing !!

Top Bottom