Potting Soil - Coco Coir - Perlite - Vermiculite

• Thread starter Izzy1980
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Izzy1980

Izzy1980

Morning all,

Potting a couple of Autos, I don't drive and its far easier buying soil this way, I've added a couple of pics, any thoughts on this soil and do I need to add any specific nutes (i do make things hard on myself)

I was thinking of adding perlite as I have some, I also have vermiculite, should I or can I add both?

Izzy

Potting soil   coco coir   perlite   vermiculite
Potting soil   coco coir   perlite   vermiculite 2
Potting soil   coco coir   perlite   vermiculite 3
UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Hmm. You should prob just do coco by itself. Looks like decent stuff. You only need 1-2 gal rootspace per plant in coco. Don’t bother with organic nutes when it comes to coco cause it’s hydro technically.
Search for k.i.s.s. Method and have a read. Easy as pie. There is tons o info on here for coco. Good luck. Holler ifn ya need a hand

I

Ikkt

For me organics like biobizz worked just fine in coco and also in hydro if the system is stable. I still use a mix of dried Biobizz grow, fishmix and algamic as organic addition in hydro.
Other organic nutrients will work in coco just as well as they will in soilless peat mixes, why wouldn't they?

For me it worked best with 50/50 Canna Cogr (coarse coco)/perlite and quite small pots with as many waterings per day as possible.
If you handwater I'd go with pure coco or perhaps 10-20% Perlite depending on the water capacity/fineness of the coco.
And I would always ad a cup of vermicompost/worm castings, no matter what medium. If you don't have any add a cup of old soil/coco from the last grow to inoculate.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

For me organics like biobizz worked just fine in coco and also in hydro if the system is stable. I still use a mix of dried Biobizz grow, fishmix and algamic as organic addition in hydro.
Other organic nutrients will work in coco just as well as they will in soilless peat mixes, why wouldn't they?

For me it worked best with 50/50 Canna Cogr (coarse coco)/perlite and quite small pots with as many waterings per day as possible.
If you handwater I'd go with pure coco or perhaps 10-20% Perlite depending on the water capacity/fineness of the coco.
And I would always ad a cup of vermicompost/worm castings, no matter what medium. If you don't have any add a cup of old soil/coco from the last grow to inoculate.
Peat has higher cc and is a lot better than coco for organics. It facilitates a mycorrhizasphere. Coco doesn’t show many benefits from organics imo, although it will work. I’ve also heard a lot of coco guys say perlite is pointless in coco also but who knows. See what works for you I guess.
Thousands of people have had good results with tsp o maxibloom per gal. Great place to start. ($20 bucks for years supply)

I

Ikkt

I don't see benefits from pure organics anyway and am quite opposed to peat, as its environmentally the worst medium you could choose. I only use organics as add on with mineral fertilizer in hydro nowadays and that's what I'd normally recommend.
Just wanted to point out that it works just as well, I've seen no differences at all but heard many times that it wouldn't be possible with coco.
Organic nutrients like biobizz worked with everything I tested, from coco to straight perlite. That you need soil or at least peat mix for an active, thriving micro herd and organics is just a myth.

What specific benefits from organics together with peat do you mean and why shouldn't mycorrhizae grow in coco?
Iirc some manufacturers even claim naturally occurring mycos as a benefit of coco coir.

About perlite and coco:
It depends, if you want to grow with coco handwatered in a soil like manner pure, fine coco and relative large pots are the way to go. But I don't think 10% perlite will hurt. If you do it that way you can also use coco "humus" like from Biobizz, it has higher cec than less decomposed coco, and add fine vermiculite, leonardite, bentonite, worm castings and the like to get a way higher cec than standard coco or peat mixes.
But if you want to use it more in a hydro like manner I prefer coarse coco like the canna CoGr slabs with lots of medium perlite and smaller pots. That way you can (or have to) irrigate more often (up to six or more times/12hr) and the growth rates are on par with most other hydro systems. I really didn't like coco pure, always had coco specific problems, but was very happy with Cogr+perlite.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

This member says it well here.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/mycorrhizal-fungi-and-coco.87474/

I recommended not waisting time and money on a bunch of organics with coco. If you use salt based fertilizer it pretty much makes the mycorrhizae pointless. Again I’m recommending a new grower save their money and keep it simple first time. Or you could go mostly/completely organic. It’s best to pick a lane. you get the tiniest of benefits from mycorrhizae in coco with synth nutes id imagine.. right on then

Latest posts

Top Bottom