Prism 315 Cmh Ballasts Running Hot!

• Thread starter DemonTrich
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I remember a few months ago a couple of you guys that are running prism 315w cmh ballasts that are running HOT. Mine are now doing it as well. 124-127 over 4 ballasts.

I have contacted the company u bought my 8 prism ballasts from. They have had many calls about this issue. I'm still waiting for "Frank" to return my call about this issue.

If any of you guys that run the prism ballast, and are running HOT, please post up and please contact the place you got the ballast from. They are aware of the issue, and say it's a design flaw due to the small fins on the case. Per "Franks" words. I was asked if u could put a fan blowing on my ballasts. I said NO. I shouldn't have to make special arrangements for a fn ballast. None of my prevoius 9x600w hps/mh ballasts ever needed a fan, and its 2x the power.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

I remember a few months ago a couple of you guys that are running prism 315w cmh ballasts that are running HOT. Mine are now doing it as well. 124-127 over 4 ballasts.

I have contacted the company u bought my 8 prism ballasts from. They have had many calls about this issue. I'm still waiting for "Frank" to return my call about this issue.

If any of you guys that run the prism ballast, and are running HOT, please post up and please contact the place you got the ballast from. They are aware of the issue, and say it's a design flaw due to the small fins on the case. Per "Franks" words. I was asked if u could put a fan blowing on my ballasts. I said NO. I shouldn't have to make special arrangements for a fn ballast. None of my prevoius 9x600w hps/mh ballasts ever needed a fan, and its 2x the power.
I don't got one but I can tell you that if your run anything on a cord that too light of a gauge. Also the longer the cord the thicker it needs to be. Sounds like BS but I fried a small window unit one time running it on a piddly ass little cord.

Freshone

Freshone

I have 5,I just checked the 2 in veg and they seem fine,105 degrees.I have 3 more in boxes I haven't even installed yet.I got some at growers house and a couple off eBay(growershouse still).Bothers me to hear it's becoming a known issue,let us know what happens.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

A weak connection could do it too. Check the prongs coming out of the plug see if they're loose in there.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm pretty sure my galaxy ballast manual says not to blow a fan directly across it.

Not that that has anything to do with the prism but I thought it worth mentioning.

whitepistols

whitepistols

Demon how are they handeling warrenty if the ballast fails? If say the ballast fails and takes the bulb with it will they replace it?

I have 9 of the prism ballasts. Yet to fire them off but I am in a posistion if 1 fails I will be screwed, then the warrenty issue is the other side of it.

Really curious because if warrenty is a hassle then there never going to get used, I will go back to the gavita se 600's I have on hand.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Well, I was told the threshold for the prism ballasts are 165*. So apparently we have to wait and see if they get hotter and or catch fire before they will do anything.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

If anyone's is running 120*+, please co tact the place you bought it from and bring it to their attention.

JMcG

JMcG

If anyone's is running 120*+, please co tact the place you bought it from and bring it to their attention.
What's up DT? Sorry, I just came across this. I have been hunting a ton and not participating here much... but I'm back!
Yeah, it was my post awhile back about the heat.
I never did chase them down for the full refund, I have just been dealing with the heat. Six months on two of them now and except for the heat they seem to work ok.
I will put the IR thermometer on them tonight and get back to you.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

My 2x in veg are 8' high, hitting 117*.
My 4x in flower have 77* exhaust blowing over them. Temps are about 102*. I' not too worried about them. They works great, net me huge fn yields, and haven' broke yet.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

My 2x in veg are 8' high, hitting 117*.
My 4x in flower have 77* exhaust blowing over them. Temps are about 102*. I' not too worried about them. They works great, net me huge fn yields, and haven' broke yet.

I don’t know how much it matters but my Galaxy LEC ballast has instructions to not blow a fan directly at it.

I guess they must need to maintain a certain operating temp.

Freshone

Freshone

Just checked mine they are averaging around 105-110,I have them mounted about 6' high behind my oscillating fans,works perfect.I'm not sure how keeping anything electronic cool could possibly hurt it?I think galaxys on crack,lol.

Freshone

Freshone

MOUNTING LOCATION - DO NOT install ballasts in areas of high heat, such as an attic or a closed closet. DO NOT mount the ballast to the reflector or blow exhaust air over them. DO NOT stack ballasts on top of each other. DO NOT allow contact with water. Mount units at least six inches apart. If a unit has any leaking resin, please relocate to a cooler area or place a fan near the ballasts.This is from their instructions.

kind of contradictory?Dont blow exhaust air over them but do place a fan near them.All electronics should be kept cool if possible,heat degrades them.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

MOUNTING LOCATION - DO NOT install ballasts in areas of high heat, such as an attic or a closed closet. DO NOT mount the ballast to the reflector or blow exhaust air over them. DO NOT stack ballasts on top of each other. DO NOT allow contact with water. Mount units at least six inches apart. If a unit has any leaking resin, please relocate to a cooler area or place a fan near the ballasts.This is from their instructions.

kind of contradictory?Dont blow exhaust air over them but do place a fan near them.All electronics should be kept cool if possible,heat degrades them.

I thought more about this and I think I read that the direct air interferes with the cooling fins.

Latest posts

Top Bottom