putting activated carbon in your BHO tube..

• Thread starter sleepyhead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
zeke

zeke

I too wonder what GreyWolf would say. In fact I have a cheesy rubber bracelet that says WWGWD? Helps me too think clearly and logically. Physics is your friend. Surely he'd cut through all this speculation with some accurate data mathematically adjusted for altitude and atmospheric temperature like a hot knife through a glassy slab....if you want less impurities from the use of charcoal I don't think it matters when you use it, though timing will impact the overall efficiency. Maybe some sort of carbon filled fuel filter looking thingy could be rigged up to fit directly on the can. Patent pending! I'll be hawking these at mellow mood for a $100.... Or there's what I think GW would suggest I do. Dissolve the entire pile of "contaminated" erl into a flask of ethyl alcohol ( "good shine") and then filter through some of those spendy paper lined charcoal precipitate filters that you get from lab supply outlets. After you are done filter through a little extra "shine" to clean up the filter of any residual erl. Then let it evaporate before putting it into the vacuum oven for finishing off. Another way would be to drink the ethyl alcohol and relax, once your inhibitions are lowered you probably won't be too concerned with the negligible amount of contaminants in yer erl.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Activated charcoal is used as a post processing step following the winterization of ethanolic solutions to remove precipitated waxes and drastically improve the shelf life of THC. It should not be used during the initial extraction.

P

progeny-prodigy

lol 5 x distilled butane dont need to be charcoal filtered

u say that lik that marketing means anything, all butane has propane and some heptane in it but those can actually help extractions and the carbon wouldnt be for the butane its a way to do a charcoal filter without using a seperate solvent lik ethanol. cause it needs to be in solution to be carbon filtered so just use the solution ur using to extract in first place
im curious if u would use activated carbon powder or pellets tho

P

progeny-prodigy

Activated charcoal is used as a post processing step following the winterization of ethanolic solutions to remove precipitated waxes and drastically improve the shelf life of THC. It should not be used during the initial extraction.
yea probly works much better after dewaxing

Graywolf

Graywolf

We had the best luck refining butane distilling it off at 70F to avoid the next fraction at 36C/97F, which would be pentane.
For post distillation polishing, we ran it through a molsieve filter from VICI Metronics and refined our 99.5% Instrument Grade (actual 99.9%) to 99.998 with regard to molecules larger than C-4.

You can get carbon mol sieve, but just activated charcoal has random size pores, so grabs some of everything, giving some preference to polar elements. It is not a good choice for filtering butane, and losses of targeted cannabinoids are high when filtering concentrate solutions.

It also adds dust requiring subsequent filtration to remove, and we've typically had to filter to 0.2 micron to do so.

Leew421

Leew421

N butane of normal butane has no propane in it. All the other "butane" is actually propane. They added propane to ensure the lighter would work at colder temps. Hence why n butane is food grade

Graywolf

Graywolf

N butane of normal butane has no propane in it. All the other "butane" is actually propane. They added propane to ensure the lighter would work at colder temps. Hence why n butane is food grade
They add Isobutane and propane to n Butane lighter fuel, to have enough pressure to operate in cold weather, and for better flame characteristics.

We typically use Instrument grade LPG or better, which we distill and filter. Butane is actually rated GRAS by the FDA, which allows it to be added to foodstuff as a propellent and is Generally Regarded As Safe.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title21-vol3/pdf/CFR-2012-title21-vol3-sec184-1165.pdf

Leew421

Leew421

I had read that normal butane was free of propane and when you look at the molecule it's a nice straight look as opposed to regular propane/butane meant for lighters.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I had read that normal butane was free of propane and when you look at the molecule it's a nice straight look as opposed to regular propane/butane meant for lighters.
n-Propane is a simple Alkane with three carbon atoms stuck together in a row, with their other 8 bonds filled with hydrogen atoms.

n-Butane is the same, except it is four carbon atoms in a row surrounded by 10 hydrogen atoms.

Propane and pentane are the two most common contaminants in n-Butane, because they are the two fractions closest to its molecular weight and hardest to separate totally.

Leew421

Leew421

I appreciate the insight wolf. I have in my experience open blasting found that n butane is what works best for me. By freezing the material and freezing my cans I can get a much lighter color and there isn't an oil sheen either. I have run a shit ton and this is good information, and as always knowledge is power.

Top Bottom