Rain Water Collection Now Legal In Colorado

• Thread starter MamaBear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MamaBear

Got my rain barrels set up this Spring and my plants are LOVING it.
I tested the rain water here in Aurora and PH was just a bit above 6.
No more testing and adjusting every drop. AND IT'S FREE!!

Rain water is naturally soft (almost no minerals) so make sure to feed your plants well.

HOUSE BILL 16-1005

Signed into law by Gov. John Hickenlooper and takes effect on August 10, 2016

Info from Colorado State Extension Office:
http://source.colostate.edu/extensi...o-harvest-rainwater-under-new-colorado-rules/

Juicebox

Juicebox

Did i miss something somewhere...why or where would it be illegal to collect rain water?

M

MamaBear

Hawaii and Colorado are the only states that ban rainwater harvesting/collecting. Due to old and complicated water rights laws. CO had fines up to $500. Yep! Just for having a barrel of rain water.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Crazy....nobody should have rights to water....it belongs to us all not some corporations
Juicebox, water and water rights, who owns what, what water those who are downstream are entitled to, are immensely complicated and are a major issue for agriculture. There is a saying, 'Whiskey is for drinking, and water is for fighting'.

It's far too complex to address here, but a quick example, my parents live in rural douglas county south of highlands ranch and their well, drilled in 1978 never had issues until highlands ranch was developed. They sit near the edge of the Denver Basin. Aquifers are like bowls on top of one another, and the 'straw' that highlands ranch uses is significantly larger than anything around it, which dries up wells located nearby. Geography and location of bedrock complicate the issue further.

The next highlands ranch is a development south and west called Sterling Ranch. They spent years trying to secure water rights to tap into the system.

Another problem some property buyers face is that they may have the land but don't have water rights. Water rights are everything.

Your municipality probably disagrees with your assessment that water belongs to everyone. That's not how it works.Another issue is taking water from one watershed to another. An example would be a water delivery company (trucks not 5 gallon drinking water companies) pulling water out of Adams County and delivering it to another area.

Have you heard the dam beaver story?
https://www.truthorfiction.com/beaverdam/

Last edited:
M

MamaBear

Thanks LocalGrowGuy , you explained it much better than I could have. Sucks that they limit us to only 110 gallons (2 x 55 gal drums). I was looking for property (acreage) down in Parker and many don't come with water rights. WTF!!!

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Thanks LocalGrowGuy , you explained it much better than I could have. Sucks that they limit us to only 110 gallons (2 x 55 gal drums). I was looking for property (acreage) down in Parker and many don't come with water rights. WTF!!!
Because dolla dolla bills.

Water rights, usage, and how downstream users are affected is an interesting topic.

More on Colorado Water Rights History attached.

The Rio Grande doesn't even reach the gulf anymore.
https://apnews.com/a8d65ca5c7af4876908b0255a4a9845b/supreme-court-consider-report-rio-grande-case

Sorry, I had a nerd siezure.

View attachment CO_History_of_Water_Rights_in_Colorado(2).pdf
Irish063

Irish063

@MamaBear Crazy that your rain water pH is in the 6's. I got a rain barrel last year but I was only able to collect snow melt because it was after the monsons. I'm on the other side of the range in SW CO. What I have tested was in the mid 7's but it has also sat for a while.
Anyway, still nice having it and being able to collect it.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Got my rain barrels set up this Spring and my plants are LOVING it.
I tested the rain water here in Aurora and PH was just a bit above 6.
No more testing and adjusting every drop. AND IT'S FREE!!

Rain water is naturally soft (almost no minerals) so make sure to feed your plants well.

HOUSE BILL 16-1005

Signed into law by Gov. John Hickenlooper and takes effect on August 10, 2016

Info from Colorado State Extension Office:
http://source.colostate.edu/extensi...o-harvest-rainwater-under-new-colorado-rules/
That's pretty sad when we have to have permission to catch a bucket of Rainwater WTF

Irish063

Irish063

That's pretty sad when we have to have permission to catch a bucket of Rainwater WTF
I know!! I couldn't believe it when my wife told me it was legal now. I had the same reaction. I can understand, to a degree, rivers and aquifers, but water that falls from the sky. Come on..

Top Bottom