Rdwc - Chiller Vs Pump Size

• Thread starter Medigrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Medigrow

Medigrow

Hey all!

I am wondering if the 1/10 hp chiller will do... Or water pump size?

Setup is :
12 x 4gals bucket
595 gph water pump.

On the Ecoplus website, they are rating the 1/10hp for 40 gal, with a recommended water pump of ~395gph. The 1/4hp is rated with a 600 gph water pump..

Do you think I am better getting the 1/4hp or I should be fine with the 1/10hp? Or reduce the pump size? I was thinking about putting the water chiller in an external room so it will add some length on the water pipe.

Thank you for suggestions! :)

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
1/4hp,
Here is why, load on system and ability to maintain. You want very little fluctuations in the temp. The smaller unit, though it will do the job but it will be slow to react. I usually oversize the units so the the slope remains constant. I rather not see peaks and valleys , this usually leads to more trouble plus if you expand your system, you already have a chiller ready to handle any extra loads.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
And in refrigeration, the shorter the runs the better. If you have space , don’t plumb it to a room 30 feet away. Keep it close. It also saves on electricity as the run Times will be shorter to maintain the temps.

Medigrow

Medigrow

Thank you for help @Jack og !

It will be external but.. next room so just have a wall to go through. I think I will upgrade to 1/4hp. Good jump in price though.

Do people cool their water before putting it into the system? I mean for water change.

scubascrog

scubascrog

Thank you for help @Jack og !

It will be external but.. next room so just have a wall to go through. I think I will upgrade to 1/4hp. Good jump in price though.

Do people cool their water before putting it into the system? I mean for water change.

you might get a little shock but you cant't half drain a 12 site. so whatever you have to do lol. I never did but I had my water sittin on a cold garage floor only a couple degrees warmer anyways.

Medigrow

Medigrow

you might get a little shock but you cant't half drain a 12 site. so whatever you have to do lol. I never did but I had my water sittin on a cold garage floor only a couple degrees warmer anyways.

Do you half drain or drain completely?

scubascrog

scubascrog

I can only half-drain. my return pvc is elbowed up off the ground 3 inches... halfway up the bucket so if I ever had a spill over my roots would still have water until I caught it

Top Bottom