Realstyles Diy Cxb3590 Tutorial

• Thread starter REALSTYLES
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

As promised I'll show you how I made my CXB3590 LES lights and where to get the parts from. The things you'll need.

• Tools: drill, drill bits, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16 and a 3/16-NC18 tap
  • Misc: solder, shrink tubing, 18ga wire I use solid wire not twisted for my application, because I'm using cob holders that eliminates having to solder wire to cobs, wing nuts and #8 x 1/2" self tapping screws, thermal grease
  • Parts: 8 - Cree CXb 3590, 8 - Ideal 2303CR(cob holder), 1 - 10" x 24" heat sink, 4 - 5/16" x 3-1/4" eyebolts and 2 - 3/16" chain cut to 6 links= 1ft, 6 - spring chain links, 4 - #10-24 x 2-1/2" machine screws and 2 - #8-32 x2" machine screws with the nuts, Thermaltake Pure 20 fan Thermaltake . 15ft extension cord and a ac/dc adapter.
  • You'll need a square ruler to get your lines straight and also a marker to mark with
If you don't know what a square rule is here what it looks like

SKU1561272.jpg

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

Now lets talk which cob and what voltage it is will help choosing the right driver and as for drivers I use Meanwell they are the best. I use CXB3590 3500k 72v CD top bin and a HLG-185H-C700A driver which can run 4 cobs at 50w each and the 36v cob you can use 8 per driver but will run 23w per cob.

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

Now let's talk about where to get the cobs. I use Jerry over at Kingbrite and his email is: [email protected], or [email protected] this is where you get the best price and the highest bin as well as lenses and Meanwell drivers and the cob holders. Although I use Sager.com because I usually buy 10 or more drivers at a time but Kingbrite is good for the guys who need just 1 or 2. If just ordering the cobs from them shipping will be around $40 DHL because Kingbrite is in China and the price on the CXB3590 is only $48.50 check Mouser and Digikey and you'll see the price difference.

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

Tomorrow guys I will be making a CXB3590 6500k light and will take step by step pics on the whole procedure. Oh yeah I use Wagos instead of wire nuts but I will explain when I get to that part. I'm not for sure if I'm gonna add lenses but we'll see tomorrow.

sixstring

sixstring

Now lets talk which cob and what voltage it is will help choosing the right driver and as for drivers I use Meanwell they are the best. I use CXB3590 3500k 72v CD top bin and a HLG-185H-C700A driver which can run 4 cobs at 50w each and the 36v cob you can use 8 per driver but will run 23w per cob.
nice your taking the time to do this RS.im pretty well lost at this post already lol.will you please go int more details on the drivers and cob spectrums plus voltages for us,and maybe include some pics.i know maybe your already planning to do this but wanted to be sure.im a pretty handy guy with a soldering iron and drills but all the dif parts and specs avail is my biggest questions,where the hell to start.i wanna build bloom only fixtures but it would be nice to have a mixed spectrum of 2 dif colors like a hps,just the best blue and reds avail.thanks.

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

nice your taking the time to do this RS.im pretty well lost at this post already lol.will you please go int more details on the drivers and cob spectrums plus voltages for us,and maybe include some pics.i know maybe your already planning to do this but wanted to be sure.im a pretty handy guy with a soldering iron and drills but all the dif parts and specs avail is my biggest questions,where the hell to start.i wanna build bloom only fixtures but it would be nice to have a mixed spectrum of 2 dif colors like a hps,just the best blue and reds avail.thanks.
I will get into drivers and voltage so people won't get confused and get the wrong stuff lol. As for bloom only you'll use 3000k which will have some blue in it and I use 3500k which is good for both

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

Now let's get an understanding about cob voltage and driver amperage. How you determine the wattage is by multiplying the volts by the amps. Example CXB3590 72v and using a 700ma 72 x .70= 50 watts and if you want the 36v 3590s then you'd use a 1400ma driver 36 x 1.4= 50 so that gives you the idea for how you are gonna set up your light.

Now lets talk drivers. I use Meanwell HLG-185H-C700A constant current it's the top of the line

SAM 0220

If you see the output says +286V =0.7A the 286v is how many cobs you can run off that driver which is important. Example I use 72 volt CXB3590 so 4 cobs the driver will correct the 2 volt difference but anything higher than that you will have issues. I don't know what because I'm not gonna fuck up my cobs or driver the shit cost money lol. Depending of what driver and amperage you use (the term is called forward voltage) is different so look at the max forward voltage range. Here's the link to the Meanwell drivers

I'm contemplating on if I'm gonna my run my lights at 500ma or 700ma because I can run 5 on the 500ma but the efficiency will be 60% and the cobs will run at 36 watts. The 700ma is 56% efficient but I can only run 4. This will be a 6500k veg light and I still thinking of adding the 80 degree lenses I don't know yet.

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

Well I'm finished drilling all the holes. I used the 1/8" bit for the holes for the cob holders and the lens holders and 19/64" for the eyebolt holes then I tapped them with the 5/16-NC18 tap. Also I typed the wrong size in the parts list it's not 3/16"-NC18 tap lol my typing sucks. The first thing I do is install the eyebolts and then the fan
SAM 1077

SAM 1078

SAM 1079

SAM 1080

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

Now lets put the cobs on the heat sink. Make sure you put the + of the cob to the + on the holder and apply a small amount of thermal grease

SAM 1083

Make sure to move the cob around to spread the grease evenly

SAM 1085

We are halfway there just got to wire up this super efficient LES light and put on the lenses

SAM 1084

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

The light is done guys but I'll have to postpone the rest of the tutorial one more day but here's the finish product. I ran out of time today but here's what it looks like super bright lol. I also have to go into details on how I wired it up so it won't be confusing to you guys. I also spoke with Jerry from Kingbrite and he will be getting some more 6500k but DB bin which is still the highest bin you can get for veg.
SAM 1094

SAM 1095

SAM 1096

SAM 1097

SAM 1098

D

DcBig bud

Thanks for the knowledge Rs. I have read a few forums on the cree cob chips, all helpful! The numbers are starting to make sense. The spec sheets at kingbr it are for the 72 volt version only. Will specs change for 36 volt version? Ma should double for same intensity I think. Will higher amp draw affect efficiency or temp? Is there any reason to choose 36v over 72? Thanks to anyone that can help.

D

DcBig bud

Not trying to steal your thunder Rs. Anyone interested in this thread should also check out suprasp's thread on this site. Both are excellent, and are a wealth of info. Rs thread is more up to date. Big plants with led? They said it couldn't be done! I say I'm doing that!

Top Bottom