Root Rot Wont Stop

• Thread starter pdasterly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pdasterly

pdasterly

dwc, water temp 65-75 day/night. 10 gal rez with 80watt pump
roots start off pearly white then brown slime comes. I have black plastic sheet of top of rez to block light. Using maxigro and calmag. I use double amount of hydroguard but still getting brown slime

Dwc slimejpeg
C

Comermac

You are 100% sure there is no light getting into your buckets or rez? Are those the only 3 things you are adding to the rez? 75 seems a little high but if you are using hydroguard I don't see why it would be a problem. Things like OG BIOWAR and MycoGrow are more expensive but they have more strains of bennies to fight disease. I hope that helps at least a little. I am running a DWC but I haven't run into any root problems.

pdasterly

pdasterly

maxigro, calmag, hydroguard, superthrive
i have 6mil plastic over rez, 75 it hottest part of day

You are 100% sure there is no light getting into your buckets or rez? Are those the only 3 things you are adding to the rez? 75 seems a little high but if you are using hydroguard I don't see why it would be a problem. Things like OG BIOWAR and MycoGrow are more expensive but they have more strains of bennies to fight disease. I hope that helps at least a little. I am running a DWC but I haven't run into any root problems.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

what is you light source? Heat is often an overlooked issue. I cover my lids with HD Al foil, shinny side up to reflect

Water/nute temp is important too. Try to keep it under 75*s F

Get some H2O2 from drug store and soak each net pot for ~ 10 minutes. Dunk it up /down to make sure you saturate all the way . You might need to repeat for a couple days

Raise your water level to within 1/2" of the bottom of the net pot

check out my thread for ideas

hth

C

Comermac

I just looked up super thrive and it seems like it has organic materials in it. I would try to find out if this is true and if so that could be your problem. If you do find out that it does contain organic material I would clean out your system, follow the steps PhatNuggz mentioned and going forward cut out super thrive.

I picked up some foil tape from Lowes and wrapped my DWC buckets with them. My water temp never goes above 70. I am running LEDs so I have much less heat being produced but either way the foil should help.

EDIT: Make sure not to mix h2o2 and hyrdoguard in your rez. This will kill the bennies in the hydroguard. However since just hydroguard has not been working it is probably worth it to try what Phat Nuggz said.

C

Comermac

Yes air to the roots is very important. I am currently using thesethese air stones. I have at least 1 per bucket 2 where I can. For my next run I am looking at thesethese circular ones. The finer bubbles give more surface area on the roots so happier roots.

You also need a strong air pump to push enough air. The water in my DWC buckets looks like they are violently boiling. I currently have thisthis air pump. It is a little loud but if you put a tube on the input end it is pretty quiet. That style pump is cheaper but louder and lower quality. If you spend more you can get a very strong air pump that is also quiet.

I have not used OG BIOWAR but I use Mycogrow which is made to fight root diseases. It is kind of expensive to run all the time but if you are having root problems it might be worth it. You might also want to try Southern AG Organic Fungicide. Again I have not used this but I plan to because according to the ingredients it is a more concentrated version of Hydroguard.

I checked out your link for your grow. Are your plants in the shallow bin still?

NGA

NGA

It looks like there is a lot gapage in the net pot but it's only a pic are they clay or hydroton,when you do Rez change do you flush net pots as well

pdasterly

pdasterly

growstones, they are lava rocks i believe(they are lightweight and float in water), i vacuum the tote dry then use hose from hydrologic filter to fill back

It looks like there is a lot gapage in the net pot but it's only a pic are they clay or hydroton,when you do Rez change do you flush net pots as well

NGA

NGA

You are goin to have to start with h2o2 like was mentioned, think about changing your medium the next time,I use h2o2. All the time

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

i have bluelab guardian, when ph swings rapidly then i change rez, usually 1 week to 2 max
Which is fine, I just adjust pH. The plants do fine. You don't need to be dumping the nutes. The plants will tell you if they get hungry. I've been doing this a long time, I'm here to tell ya nutes are good for at least two weeks, and a lot longer than that if needed. No, it's not necessarily optimal. I don't care about every last gram, i just grow for personal use now.

Nutes aren't really food for a plant. CO2 is. Nutes are more like vitamins, and they go a lot further than most people give them credit for.

Top Bottom