runt of the litter, you GOTTA see this, no cotyledons? headless?

• Thread starter mekannic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mekannic

mekannic

it may be hard to see, i just got my carson scope for iphone and my digital camera doesn't macro. i took the best pics i could and will keep trying, especially if it keeps trying to grow. it almost looks like the root grew up and the head grew down.

this is my first scope and i can't operate them very well. i need four hands.

i think you can barely see a leaf, not sure if it is a cotyledon or true, but it is small. the specs are dirt. or peat.
Iphone 395
Iphone 399 Iphone 404 Runt of the litter you gotta see this no cotyledons headless 4 Runt of the litter you gotta see this no cotyledons headless 5 Runt of the litter you gotta see this no cotyledons headless 6

mekannic

mekannic

thanks MC, if it gets some good response i will take more pics and try to do better with the scope.

it hasn't been too long since i read a little bit about dicot and monocot.

is there any possible way cannabis can be a monocot? genetic mutation etc?

i just thought it was really weird and worth showing everybody. i have had two abnormals this batch. stuff i ain't ever seen before. could they be irradiating them at the border trying to kill them and producing abnormals?

anyway, appreciate the bump.

bump ;)

P

Protaide

Defo an interesting pic there. I could guess that it was a mal-formed when it was developed but not sure there. Never seen anything like it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How long has it been like that? I've seen seeds with poor vigor fail to fully sprout, that's what it looks like is happening with your seedling there.

mekannic

mekannic

it was planted on the 17th, same time as my other failure. i think it broke soil on the 28th IIRC, i forgot to record it's birthdate in my notebook, but the last day anything really broke soil was around then. it must have been, because i posted this thread and pics as soon as i really saw what was happening with it and i think it was "above ground" the day before that.

i got a couple more pics today and it is slowly but surely showing signs of leaves, kinda. i'll post them later when i get em uploaded. gonna go ahead and leave it alive just for gits and shiggles.

of all the seeds that popped, besides this and my other failure, the rest are doing really awesome so far. some of them have been treated nearly the same as the one i killed. treated the same from the start, things only diverged when that one went pale. that one just wasn't meant to be.

mekannic

mekannic

it's trying it's little heart out. it almost looks like the stem is just splitting into a leaf structure. maybe it tore it's head off breaking the surface? it broke the soil just like any other, with a bent stem like it was pulling the seed shell up outta the dirt. but when it appeared and straightened up, it looked amputated. rounded off even, with a tiny little spur.

Headless1
Headless3
Headless4
Headless5
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It sure *is* trying, isn't it? I've seen that when a bug bites the head off, and some do indeed regrow if it was close enough to the very tip. Keep growin' little runt!

mekannic

mekannic

it is definitely coming along. you can definitely tell it is growing. you can see the separation very clearly now. it kinda looks like two true leaves to me, but.....

with this one doing so well despite it's poor start, and the others doing so awesome, now i am certain that genetics played a major role in the death of lil Bastard.

DSC00963
DSC00964
mekannic

mekannic

my daily pics. i let it get dark on me and couldn't get good pics. i hope these aren't too disappointing quality wise, for those following the saga. it is definitely interesting to watch it come along. looks like it is missing half it's head. looks kinda like one cotyledon and one true leaf survived whatever trauma caused it. i also have one seedling that got hit by a rain drop and tore off one of the first true leaves. these babies are having a hell of a time in my care. poor babies.

DSC00989
DSC00990
DSC00991
DSC00982
mekannic

mekannic

my daily pics. i'll stop posting when it either just gets normal (aka mundane), or when someone yells uncle.

this time i added a pic of something i pulled off the bottom of a tomato, very weird. reminded me of something you would find on a coral reef somewhere. anybody know what it is or where i go to identify it? i am no entomologist nor a biologist by far. i still have a hard time staying out of the poison ivy, oak and sumac.

DSC01001
DSC01003
DSC01005
DSC01006
DrSpastic

DrSpastic

To be honest i'm surprised it's made it this far. Thought I was going to be sayin RIP when I first look at those pics. Go lil guy!

DrS

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have no idea what that white thing is.

Dunge

Dunge

This is great.
You offer a "will it live?" drama, and a "what's this?" puzzle in one thread.
The "thing" is purpose built, but by who and for what.
Is it made of pollen?
Might it be a food cache?

mekannic

mekannic

DrSpastic said:
To be honest i'm surprised it's made it this far. Thought I was going to be sayin RIP when I first look at those pics. Go lil guy!

me, too and three as well. not sure if i was more surprised to see what appeared from the soil, or what became of it after and that it is actually growing.

Seamaiden said:
I have no idea what that white thing is.

darnit.

Dunge said:
This is great.
You offer a "will it live?" drama, and a "what's this?" puzzle in one thread.
The "thing" is purpose built, but by who and for what.
Is it made of pollen?
Might it be a food cache?

well, i didn't think the white thing was worthy of it's own thread and since i am already posting daily survival drama pics i thought "what the hell".

i thought it was a critter of some kind. it had a kind of web on the bottom where it was attached to the mater. it did kinda remind me of pollen in a way. at one point i thought it moved on it's own, but i am the paranoid type. (heard in a quote somewhere, "there is no such thing as paranoia, they really are out to get you and it is always worse than you think")

i have already accidentally hijacked one person's perfectly good thread and feel bad for it, so starting a whole new thread for something so trivial (at this point, and hopefully it doesn't go any further) just seemed over the top.

anyway, thanks for watching and stay tuned for a little while at least. once it takes off i will quit posting daily pics and just post milestones.

Myco

Myco

As for your poor little-seedling-that-could... it kind of looks like the cotyledons were ripped off/damaged in the sprouting process, or the specimen experienced a bit of damping off or some other fungus at birth but has decided to overcome it?

I had something similar happen a few months back. I was sprouting quite a few seeds, 40-50, and decided to use a seedling heating mat for the first time. Well, with my luck the thermostat failed and dried the rockwool to a crisp while I was gone for the day... watered them all immediately in hopes of saving some of them. I think 6-7 made it, with one of them being a damaged little runt that looked almost identical to your first pics. After a slow comeback, eventually it pushed out its first 'true' leaves in place of where you'd normally see the cotyledons, and ended up becoming a healthy, normal seedling.

mekannic

mekannic

you know i bet you are exactly correct Myco (love your username, i used to grow them too) because this was a late bloomer compared to all the other ones and i am pretty sure the pellet did get a little dry once at least because i had given up on the last few and wasn't giving them a lot of attention.

that's what it looks like to me, like one half of it was torn off in sprouting. at first i thought it was something else, and had just never seen this before so to me it was a novelty and a curiosity. i did not know what to think of it.

sorry to hear about your loss. my condolences.

my daily pics. again. if y'all are bored with the new pics, just holler, i will stop posting. don't wanna keep bumping a dead thread.

DSC01008
DSC01009
DSC01009
DSC01010
DSC01011
DSC01012
DSC01013
mekannic

mekannic

DSC01031
my last pic for a while. maybe if she flowers into a beautiful young lady i will post a few nudies of her when the time comes. but it seems to have recovered nicely if not slowly and is catching a groove.

thanks to all who followed the saga for a while. until we meet again.

Top Bottom