sealed room, insulation

• Thread starter ftwendy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ftwendy

ftwendy

I'm working on insulating a space now and was hoping someone could give a final answer on how to properly insulate without creating condensation inside the wall.

Here's what I'm thinking... from the outside in: osb, tyvek house wrap, 2x6 stud walls stuffed with r19 fiberglass, 6mil plastic vapor barrier, 2" firring strip for a dead air space, 2" rigid foam board, 6 mil vapor barrier #2, final layer before grow space is reflectix or foil covered 1" foam board with taped seams. I'm going for overkill, but is this over the top?

I'm just throwing out ideas above, if you can suggest something better please share. Thanks!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

This is what i do now,2x6 wall with r19 with tyvek(or equal HD/Lowes housewrap @ 1/2 price),One tyvek layer on the outside and one on the inside including roof of rooms,stapled to 2x6,whatever sheeting you like on the outside and inside..The tyvek breathes and plastic doesnt which makes it condensate.I use orcafilm instead of reflectix now,much better reflectivity.Foam board is badass but i think its overkill with 2x6 walls w/insulation,where i live it gets really hot(103 today) for months and it never gets over 72 in my empty rooms,I also have r60 in the attic(2 layers of r30).If your building from scratch when you sheet the roof use the foil coated OSB(reflects heat away) and put in a whirlybird for every 4-500 sq ft and vents in the eaves.Remember you want your walls to be able to breathe,moisture trapped will stay there!

cc503

cc503

would that much insulation be necessary in places where it doesnt get that hot like in the nw? Im setting up a room as well but its in a basement, but i was almost gona just frame it , throw sheet rock up, then put orca film up and seal the room for co2 thinking that the heat could dissipate more if it wasnt very well insulated ( its in the basement and doing open hood )is this a bad idea?

Last edited:
Top Bottom