• Thread starter pittsm99999
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

pittsm99999

Seedlings first true leaves twisted down with yellowbrown spots help
Seedlings first true leaves twisted down with yellowbrown spots help 2
Hey everyone,

First time grower and first time poster here. I am having some difficulty with my week old seedling.

After the most recent watering I noticed the next day the tips of the first true leaves were twisted downwards. Over the next couple days brown/yellow spots began to appear on the leaves.

I have it under a 50w LED about 16" above. I think I overwatered however I am letting it dry out and now have a fan on it. There was also a slight mold issue which I think I fixed with the fan.

Despite all of my research I have not been able to figure out what is going on. I think the culprit may be the fact that I (regrettingly) germinated this seed in miracle grow seed starting mix. The first 5 days of growth after germination were great with no signs of stress. I'm hoping the most recent watering caused the seedling to simply be temporarily overfed.

Any suggestions on how to go from here and insight as to what may be causing the problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

dan1989

dan1989

Agreed with turning off the light but miracle gro kind of stands out as the main suspect. It's a no no in grow world. I personally would chop the bottom of that cup and try to gently scrape some dirt from the bottom and get it in something less hot. It will only get worse. In my opinion only

AirBud93

AirBud93

View attachment 788168 View attachment 788169 Hey everyone,

First time grower and first time poster here. I am having some difficulty with my week old seedling.

After the most recent watering I noticed the next day the tips of the first true leaves were twisted downwards. Over the next couple days brown/yellow spots began to appear on the leaves.

I have it under a 50w LED about 16" above. I think I overwatered however I am letting it dry out and now have a fan on it. There was also a slight mold issue which I think I fixed with the fan.

Despite all of my research I have not been able to figure out what is going on. I think the culprit may be the fact that I (regrettingly) germinated this seed in miracle grow seed starting mix. The first 5 days of growth after germination were great with no signs of stress. I'm hoping the most recent watering caused the seedling to simply be temporarily overfed.

Any suggestions on how to go from here and insight as to what may be causing the problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I know I’m a little late but it’s defintely not the miracle gro. Are you adding extra nutes? MG by itself will pose no harm to your plant unless you are over feeding it with either N,P, or K.

AB

Madbud

Madbud

Hi pitts, i use mg starting soil also. The mold on top of the soil goes away if you gently aerate the surface with a toothpick or paperclip. Poke a drain hole in the cup if not already there. I wouldnt worry about the first leaves, probably overwatering, let it dry til the cup is light in your hand. All is not lost, just a rough start. Good luck

dan1989

dan1989

Wrong wrong wrong! There's a good reason why you won't find experienced growers using MG. It WILL mess up your plants on its own. Maybe if you're lucky you will get away with just a bit of burn in veg. But flower...

MG is a slow release soil, I.e. it will be releasing nitrogen in high concentrations waaaay after you'd like to stop vegging and start flowering. Unless you're happy to veg your plants for 6 or 7 months. You have ABSOLUTELY no control over which nutes are released and when. Quite a disadvantage to the grower.

Best case scenario, you get foul green-tasting buds and reduced yield. You really gotta research your stuff yourself, if you had, you would realise I'm right.

Course, I could have said nothing, but I hate seeing people getting bad advice. I don't want to see anybody's grow getting fucked up.

Research what I told you bro, or if you're feeling experimental, finish the grow (if possible) and learn the hard way.

Good luck.

dan1989

dan1989

In fact, this guy hadn't even been here in a couple of months to see people's replies, he's a one messager. So I'm sure he's already fucked it up anyway. Too bad.

Madbud

Madbud

Wrong wrong wrong! There's a good reason why you won't find experienced growers using MG. It WILL mess up your plants on its own. Maybe if you're lucky you will get away with just a bit of burn in veg. But flower...

MG is a slow release soil, I.e. it will be releasing nitrogen in high concentrations waaaay after you'd like to stop vegging and start flowering. Unless you're happy to veg your plants for 6 or 7 months. You have ABSOLUTELY no control over which nutes are released and when. Quite a disadvantage to the grower.

Best case scenario, you get foul green-tasting buds and reduced yield. You really gotta research your stuff yourself, if you had, you would realise I'm right.

Course, I could have said nothing, but I hate seeing people getting bad advice. I don't want to see anybody's grow getting fucked up.

Research what I told you bro, or if you're feeling experimental, finish the grow (if possible) and learn the hard way.

Good luck.
Dan, i agree with your opinion of mg potting soil but the seedling cutting stuff is different, very duffy and it works ok

dan1989

dan1989

Dan, i agree with your opinion of mg potting soil but the seedling cutting stuff is different, very duffy and it works ok

Sorry, need to read more carefully next time, I just saw 'miracle gro' and thought 'noooo'! I admit to knowing nothing about the seedling mix, so I'll duck out of this one. My mistake :)

AirBud93

AirBud93

Good luck.
Appreciate the constructive criticism. Have you ever used MG throughout a full cycle from seed to flower? My plan is to switch to an organic soil after my next transplant a few weeks before veg. I started with the MG and my plant is looking pretty good so far. I have a grow journal under "white widow", feel free to watch my experiment.!

All the best,
AB

dan1989

dan1989

Appreciate the constructive criticism. Have you ever used MG throughout a full cycle from seed to flower? My plan is to switch to an organic soil after my next transplant a few weeks before veg. I started with the MG and my plant is looking pretty good so far. I have a grow journal under "white widow", feel free to watch my experiment.!

All the best,
AB

Of course, I can't very well tell you not to use it, having not tried it myself. I used MG on my 2nd grow, first was some other slow release stuff, with added John Innes. Didn't make it to the end with both unfortunately. Plagued by problems. Obviously inexperience was mostly to blame, but was just chasing my ass the whole time with regards to feeding. I use coco now, complete control. Just more work involved, that's all.

I don't doubt that even with some experience now, I wouldn't be able to pull off a good grow with MG.

Cheers Dan

H

heisen

People say you cant grow dank buds in Gen hydro and only AN and all them other 20 mix concoctions,Sorry to break it to you man but farmers use a 3 Part Ferterlizer mix that consist of 3 numbers and grow some of the tastiest biggest vegatables in the midwest.From corn to peanuts.
Nutrient companies are making a fortune selling BS to people when all that stuff Contains Is Nitrogen,Phosphorous,and Potassium or some call it Potash all mixed in ratios.There are no magic formulas or ingrediants that will give your Magical yields.Once every thing is broken down to a molecular level it is absorbed as N P or K and thats it.I used bagged ferterlizer or miracle grow outside on my outdoor garden and grow 7 foot tomato plants with some of the best tasting tomatoes period.If i was growing cannabis outdoors i would do the same thing and grow 10 foot plants all day.
Also Miracle grow is not time release.Your thinking of the soil.Its just crystallized fertilizer with exactly the same ingredients thats in every bottled fertilizer on the shelves at the hydro stores.You add water and it dissolves in minutes and pour it out.
Plants need PH range,Light,Co2,humidity,and the 3 fertilizer ratios to prosper.A good grower knows how to give them those ingredients in the correct ratios.Whats in the bags or bottles is really all the same shit man,It really is.Dont get hung up on the Hype.
I grew these tomatoes outdoors with Miracle grow and they was good,

20140509 082052

20140701 120820

Top Bottom