Seedlings In Trouble-can They Be Helped

• Thread starter Gardenholic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gardenholic

Gardenholic

Hey friends,

I just got back from an 8 day vacation, and my seedlings don’t seem to be doing very well. My
girlfriend was in charge of feeding and watering, and I did a terrible job going over the basics before I left.

The medium is Sunshine advance mix 4 with a little added perlite, and the plants are under 600-900W of COB lighting depending on temperature.

The room is 75 degrees and 60-66% humidity with a 350 cfm exhaust fan. My girlfriend fed the plants twice while I was gone, (Tuesday and Friday) and the plants really started showing problems over the weekend.

I feel like these symptoms are caused by a number of issues.

1) I forgot to tell her how to ph the water
2) I failed to include Sensi Cal-mag in the feeding regimen
3) Not enough drainage/too much water in the medium.

Every single one of the seedlings is drooping, most are yellowing towards the bottom, and a lot of them have the tan/rust spots that appear when the ph fluctuates.

The first feeding was 1/4 tsp/gal of sea green and rootamentary from primordial and the second feeding I had her bump it up to 1/2 tsp because of the yellowing leaves.

In hindsight, I realize the lack of nutrients could be due to the ph being out of range.

How much should I let these dry out before I try anything else? Would a mild foliar of Sensi cal mag and the rootamentary/sea green be too much on them in this condition?

I believe they are all at a point where they can be saved, but they definitely need some TLC.
Seedlings in trouble can they be helped
Seedlings in trouble can they be helped 2
Seedlings in trouble can they be helped 3
Seedlings in trouble can they be helped 4
Seedlings in trouble can they be helped 5
Seedlings in trouble can they be helped 6
Seedlings in trouble can they be helped 7

Appreciate all the help I can get!!

Dunge

Dunge

What I am seeing took longer than a week to develop.
ALL the classic bad things. Wilting, purple petiole, brown spots.
So you may need to go back to the drawing board on how you are growing.
Might try, transplant a few into FFOF and water only for a few weeks.

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

What I am seeing took longer than a week to develop.
ALL the classic bad things. Wilting, purple petiole, brown spots.
So you may need to go back to the drawing board on how you are growing.
Might try, transplant a few into FFOF and water only for a few weeks.
1E1714C0 C04E 4F1F 9824 387A09980C94
33C67398 389A 4F7A 8F29 40CC7CF62E94
0C71314F D908 461F 96A6 13C600DB843E
FE01D475 41F6 41EB A3DB 699084AF613A
E3A2B5C5 A0DF 4C67 B538 5C6E087C7E0F

Here are pics from 8 days ago. Leaves aren’t yellowing and no signs of ph fluctuation

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

Good point.
They went down more quickly than I thought possible.
All I can do is flush with mild nutrient solution at the correct ph and hope they bounce back really. I guess I was just looking for encouragement that they *could* bounce back and still give me a decent crop. If not, I’d rather start over now than waste another 13 weeks wondering what I’m going to get

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

0F385B30 068E 4606 9116 B5B8C18495C3

24 hours later and the babies are beginning to recover. I transplanted two that were in the smallest containers, and gave everyone a very mild foliar consisting of sea green and rootamentary from primordial as well as a few drops/gallon of Sensi cal-mag from A-N.

Hopefully the continue to green up for he next week or so as we try to get these babies back on track. I will update my grow journal thread in the next day or so if anyone wants to follow.

Thanks for the help

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

They are all hanging in there. Sunshine mix is taking forever to dry out even with the added perlite. I will have to use less water I guess. I got a new camera. These are taken with the kit zoom lens, but still decent quality.
40930B41 B099 4E32 8DC9 FD2DA0A1DADD
A9393ACC 8440 4DFC 9670 000E75916D24
DC5EC3A9 B932 4389 9878 6B3C8FD9E701
165BA87D C45C 4CAE B934 C76BD860E95A
75B66D4F A5F4 4D83 BE3D 4A7ED0F7A105
3253F0A5 29B7 4B2F 9158 4AD54E6155A9
AD79051D E9BA 46EE 9DCB 4AB32069BB63
327F6870 1402 40B9 80DE 576D265AA33B

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

dude dont wont to come off wrong,but your soil sucks,the picture of the whole garden,all together like that tells me soil,if there were a few that looked better than others,id say your feeding pattern,look at the pic you post and you will see it better than looking at it directly,,those plants right there could be transplanted into a better soil,,just saying i would if it was me,but that sure enough looks like a bad batch of soil,,

Dunge

Dunge

dude dont wont to come off wrong,but your soil sucks,the picture of the whole garden,all together like that tells me soil,if there were a few that looked better than others,id say your feeding pattern,look at the pic you post and you will see it better than looking at it directly,,those plants right there could be transplanted into a better soil,,just saying i would if it was me,but that sure enough looks like a bad batch of soil,,
This is exactly the recommendation I made back when the plants were not so dead.

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

They look starving to me.
They'll bounce back. Stop watering so much, clearly oxygen deprived. Your using a peat base soilless, don't water till runoff for awhile, you can leach nutes from soilless mix real fast.
There's no doubt I'm my mind that it's nitrogen deficiency, you need to blast them with a heavy dose of grow nutes and do not water till runoff, they'll be back running in a week. Cannibalizing themselves.

Last edited:
Gardenholic

Gardenholic

All 13 mystery plants were transplanted into bigger 8” containers last night. I mixed in 1 tsp/gallon of root Organics terp tea grow mix, and watered them in with 1ml/gallon primordial solutions sea green and rootamentary. Thanks for the tips on the watering frequency and the recommendation to switch to ffof. I used ffof for my first run, and had dry
compact soil that was hard to water and took forever to dry out.

This is why I switched to a soilless mixture. I was actually hoping to find something with more coco, but ended up with a ton of the SA4 and decided to roll with it.

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

All 13 mystery plants were transplanted into bigger 8” containers last night. I mixed in 1 tsp/gallon of root Organics terp tea grow mix, and watered them in with 1ml/gallon primordial solutions sea green and rootamentary. Thanks for the tips on the watering frequency and the recommendation to switch to ffof. I used ffof for my first run, and had dry
compact soil that was hard to water and took forever to dry out.

This is why I switched to a soilless mixture. I was actually hoping to find something with more coco, but ended up with a ton of the SA4 and decided to roll with it.
The two feedings that occurred while I was away happened when the root zone was already moist, lacked the cal mag supplement and was not PHed
They don't need much at that stage of the game. Grab you some Flora nova grow and that's all you need during veg. Sunshine is a good soilless but your controlling the food entirely. I use soilless and I rarely water till runoff, until I'm ready to flush at the end of bloom.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

They don't need much at that stage of the game. Grab you some Flora nova grow and that's all you need during veg. Sunshine is a good soilless but your controlling the food entirely. I use soilless and I rarely water till runoff, until I'm ready to flush at the end of bloom.
im with you,im in ocean forest,i only add a cup of water when needed,if you feed to waste,the ocean forest is gonna compact unless you add yucca,so about every 3 days in these 1 gallon pots,i add a cup of water

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

I definitely need to be using less water. If you water SA mix to 20% runoff as recommended by Cervantes, they will take a week to dry out enough for another watering

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

I never runoff, maybe 2 or 3 times in a whole cycle, besides final flush.
These are 25 days bloom today, in soilless mix.
That can be different with the nutes your using, some need to be flushed regularly.
Media 7FLB7U b5a7bc26236d879f68b460ebe29f0d0f

Gardenholic

Gardenholic

Nice, thanks for the tip!! The new growth on them already looks better since Wednesday, and I’m sure they will continue to recover throughout the week. The pictures make the plant look more yellow than they actually are

Top Bottom